Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Leaving AT&T for DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

I just think its crap when they say there is "nothing they can do"...I worked in an environment where I was empowered to make my customers happy. I know there is always "something they can do"...

DirecTV has situations where they will tell you the exact same thing. If you were trying to upgrade an HR-21 DVR to an HR-24 DVR, a Customer Service rep would tell you that they have no control over which HD DVR will get sent to you. They would be telling the truth. To DirecTV, an HD-DVR is an HD-DVR. So, Customer Service has no way of telling the people who ship the HD-DVR's that someone has specifically requested a particular model.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#142 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

I've pushed my appointment back a few days to 1/30 now, still having cold feet with this change. I know change is hard, but needed and good sometimes. Its just really hard to deal with this kind of change without seeing something from D* in person.

Several Best Buy stores still use some D* receivers for their HD TV's. Wouldn't hurt to run up and check out the PQ. They may also let you play with the features, as limited as they may be in store, if you ask nicely. :)

#143 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,533 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

That and T1's and such are symmetric. Most home connections aren't.

#144 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,533 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Several Best Buy stores still use some D* receivers for their HD TV's. Wouldn't hurt to run up and check out the PQ. They may also let you play with the features, as limited as they may be in store, if you ask nicely. :)

Though best to keep in mind that the lighting isn't realistic, TV's set to torch mode etc. Unless it's a Magnolia setup at least.

#145 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,533 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

I've pushed my appointment back a few days to 1/30 now, still having cold feet with this change. I know change is hard, but needed and good sometimes. Its just really hard to deal with this kind of change without seeing something from D* in person.

So sounds like you weren't hit by the UVerse outage?

#146 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'll be home from the office about 7pm. Drop by the house and you can see a Genie in person.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#147 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

T1, is indeed about 1.5 Mbps, but it is T-2 that is 6 Mbps. T-3 is about 44 Mbps.

The main difference between T-x lines and residential service is service level guarantees. T-x lines are dedicated links back to the central office with direct connections to the provider's backbones. Residential service is pooled in various ways, depending on the provider and the nature of the service. As a result T-x performance is very steady, 24x7, while residential service will vary depending on time of day and number of subscribers sharing a gateway or other common media.

For big corporations, T1 and T3 lines are mostly used for backup these days. If you want real industrial grade internet service with a robust SLA you'd go for OC-x service. OC service is optical (OC stands for Optical Carrier) as opposed to T-x service which is wired. An OC-3 line is 155 Mbps, and it goes up through OC-255 at 13 Gbps. OC-3 lines start at around $20k/month and you go up from there in price as well.

Awesome explanation, thanks Diana, this helped me out a lot!

#148 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Yeah I tried one close to my house, they didn't have a single one. There is one more I can stop in and see, once I get to feeling better.

#149 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

So sounds like you weren't hit by the UVerse outage?

I was hit for about an hour early Monday AM...or whenever it started, but it came back not too long after. So no I wasn't.

#150 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'll be home from the office about 7pm. Drop by the house and you can see a Genie in person.

Well, Choctaw isn't very close to me here in NW OKC, hard to just drop by there...and I'm sick right now so I don't want to give you this crap.

#151 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

You're about 30 miles away, same distance as the GF in Yukon. She lives off of that old original section of Rt. 66 (36th St./Lakeshore DR.) between Mustang & Sarah Rd.

I'd have you go over to her house which is closer to you, but she doesn't have the equipment, just an HR24 & H24, no Genie. At least not until I give her one.

If your crap lets up on you the offer still stands, though then Sunday night would be best as the Tulsa kiddos and my grandson come to stay Friday night.

Sure hope that you get to feeling better.

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#152 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Well, we started conversations with a family friend who happens to be our realtor as well, and now I think we are going to be putting the house up on the market soon. So I'm going to cancel my D* install for this coming weekend, and just reconnect with D* once we get moved and settled into the new home. Maybe even by that time the new HR-44's will be out in the world? While I don't like the process of moving, we need to get a different home, our two boys and us are growing out of this home and need more space that makes sense for our family. This house was bought by me, as a bachelor, with intentions of having a family, but now that the boys are growing up, bigger rooms and more space in general is required. The new home will be a D* hub though!

#153 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Am I going to get a hassle or fight about canceling my service before it was installed?
I know they don't want to lose me as a customer, even before I've begun, but I don't want to install this right now only to move in the near future.

#154 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Finding a new house and selling the old one takes a while, it might be some time before you actually move.
Have you had a chance to explore DirecTV's moving package (1-888-DTV-MOVE)? Or maybe some of the reps on here or in-the-know folks can comment.
Maybe you can get a deal on an HR34 now and then again on an HR44 when you move.

Got a particular school district in mind (e.g. Deer Creek, Edmond)?

#155 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Well, Choctaw isn't very close to me here in NW OKC, hard to just drop by there...and I'm sick right now so I don't want to give you this crap.

I hope you don't have the same Flu Bug that I had as it took me about 3 weeks to get over it. :nono2:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#156 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Deer Creek and Edmond are the likely spots, my wife is wanting Deer Creek for the school district. You're right it might be a while, but still we've decided to wait. I guess we'll see what they try to tell me when I call.

I had bronchitis and flu, but I got some heavy meds and I'm back on my feet.

#157 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Am I going to get a hassle or fight about canceling my service before it was installed?
I know they don't want to lose me as a customer, even before I've begun, but I don't want to install this right now only to move in the near future.

The few times I've had to deal with the group that cancels pending installs, it was a bit of a pain. First person had me on hold for 15 minutes and eventually came back and hung up. Second person put me on hold for 15 minutes but did come back and cancel the order. Just let them know it's not a pricing issue and that you just can not get the service right now. That way they're not trying to "save" your ordere.

You won't have any issues trying to sign back up when you're settled into your new house.

#158 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

The few times I've had to deal with the group that cancels pending installs, it was a bit of a pain. First person had me on hold for 15 minutes and eventually came back and hung up. Second person put me on hold for 15 minutes but did come back and cancel the order. Just let them know it's not a pricing issue and that you just can not get the service right now. That way they're not trying to "save" your ordere.

You won't have any issues trying to sign back up when you're settled into your new house.

So funny, that is exactly what happened to me tonight. I chose the option to cancel, and when it rang through to the guy he answered in this big happy voice about congrats on your new DirecTV choice/install, bla bla bla...and then all shocked when I said I was actually calling to cancel. Such a bad actor. Then he did put me on hold for like 10 mins, I was like are you effin' serious. Trying to hope I just hang up and don't cancel? Whatever, so I started saying, "hello" to the dead air and he came back in...nice try.

I did explain it wasn't pricing or companies, I was just in a spot where I didn't think it was a good time to install and I'd be back soon. He was cool after that and did the cancel with no more hassle, but jeez...

Anyway, when I do get to the new place, DirecTV will be getting my call again.

#159 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

So funny, that is exactly what happened to me tonight.

Sounds so familiar lol. And I talked to them around May 2011. Good to know some things never change. :)

#160 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Well, Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. I love my Directv even though Directv is not perfect but I am so happy with the Progress they have made over the years and no telling where we will be in a year.

CSRs are the same with any company I deal with. They are people who are subjective and have opinions are have been trained or self trained at different levels depending upon their ambition so I just learned Unfortunately to Play The CSR Roulette Game until I get one who Plays the Game the Way I Want Them To Play It!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...