Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Price Increase

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 50 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Anyone else get this???
I am on my second year of signup discounts, does this include me??

Dear DIRECTV® Customer,

We would like to thank you for being a loyal customer and let you know we truly appreciate your business. We are excited about the New Year and our continued commitment to deliver additional value to your DIRECTV service as we launch more HD channels, introduce new technologies and continue to bring you award-winning service. DIRECTV works continuously to deliver maximum choice and value that's indicative of our reputation as the must-have premium video service.

We are writing to let you know about an upcoming price increase for 2013. This is a letter we never like to write because, if it were up to us, our choice would be to never increase your bill.

Unfortunately, there are many external factors at work that make this a reality for not just DIRECTV, but all TV providers who must do this every year. The biggest of which is that almost all programmers who provide channels to the DIRECTV platform are increasing their rates at a level we've never seen before. On occasion, some negotiations of new and existing channel contracts have become public recently so you can see we are doing all we can to make sure you do not suffer unfair price increases as a result of unreasonable demands in these disputes. By holding firm, we've held our annual price increases on average below those of cable competitors.

In 2013, the programming costs we pay to owners of television channels will increase by about 8.0%, but we have chosen to adjust the prices our customers pay by an average of only 4.5%. On February 7, 2013, new pricing will be applied to DIRECTV programming packages and services. Click here for more complete details.

But rest assured, as a DIRECTV customer you get many extra benefits and perks and we are always looking at ways to add to and improve the service. We plan to build on many of the achievements delivered in 2012 which continued to make DIRECTV the best TV experience available, such as:

The launch of DIRECTV Everywhere. Now watch movies and shows anywhere-on your TV at home, on your computer, tablet or smartphone at no extra charge.^
New SD and HD channels were added with BBC America, Disney Jr., DIY, E!, Nat Geo WILD, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, beIN SPORT, TWC SportsNet, TWC Deportes, and others.
The DIRECTV on DEMAND library expanded to over 10,000 shows and movies.
NFL SUNDAY TICKET was available at our lowest price in nearly a decade!
DIRECTV and Viggle partnered so you can earn great rewards just for watching DIRECTV with the free Viggle app for your smartphone or tablet.

We are committed to delivering the highest quality entertainment service and value, and we look forward to continuing to provide you with the very best DIRECTV have to offer. Thank you for your continued loyalty.

Sincerely,

Ellen Filipiak
Senior Vice President of Customer Service

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,936 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Yes, it applies to all customers and occurs every year.

#3 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Yes, it applies to all customers and occurs every year.

This is on the pdf link in email:
If you are currently receiving a promotional offer, you will continue to receive the promotional price for the remainder of the offer period.

Are not the first 2 years of initial contract on promo price??

#4 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

This is on the pdf link in email:
If you are currently receiving a promotional offer, you will continue to receive the promotional price for the remainder of the offer period.

It depends on the offer when you signed up. Most offers will be a 12 month promo for a 24 month agreement.

Certain areas of the country have a 2nd year savings as well.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,795 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

You need to look up the deal that you signed up for. Price contracts aren't offered very often and if you're not under such an explicit price contract, you have no protection from rate changes.

What DIRECTV offers currently is fixed discounts as opposed to fix pricing. For someone subscribing to a promotional plan today, they will receive a monthly programming discount that is pre-defined for 12 months and a significantly reduced discount for months 13-24 but they will experience at least two underlying price hikes during their commitment.

Prices include the following instant bill credits for 12 months: $25 for ENTERTAINMENT Package, $29 for CHOICE and CHOICE XTRA Packages and $35 for CHOICE ULTIMATE Package or above. In months 13-24, bill credit will be $10/mo.

We cannot do the research on your contract for you but DIRECTV customer service may be able to help you out. Either way, you're still under the balance of a 24 month commitment.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

If the signup deal you got included a price freeze for two years, then the increase would not apply (though when the freeze runs out, it would increase then.) If the deal was for say $20 off the second year, that discount would be taken off the new rates.

#7 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

My first year discounts runs out in May, my second year discount is $10 off the regular rate (i have Ultimate). So does that mean i still get $10 off the new rate even though it increased by a couple of dollars?

#8 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

My first year discounts runs out in May, my second year discount is $10 off the regular rate (i have Ultimate). So does that mean i still get $10 off the new rate even though it increased by a couple of dollars?

Yes

#9 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Hey you prolly didnt like when DTV took Viacom channels down and called for a credit....this is the repercussions...
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...