Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network or DTV from UVerse

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Ok so I'm leaving AT&T, breaking my bundle up...I'm sitting at this crossroads for going to Dish or DTV...trying to figure out which one is best for me and my family and our viewing habits.

I've heard the good on DTV, been in that thread and others on AVS Forum, they had me sold, till I started investigating and watching demons on YouTube of The Hopper etc...and it opened my eyes to Dish.

If you were to try to sway me, or make me see and like Dish over DTV, how would you do it, what features would you say are better on Dish that DTV can't touch or aren't quite as good as?

I've heard the 1080i picture on Dish is not quite 1080i etc...because of bandwidth and that DTV has the most, etc...PQ is important to me, probably the main reason I started looking to leave UVerse.

So far the things I like that I'm seeing from Dish are the Hopper/Joey whole home DVR setup. 3 tuners vs their 5 is not as good especially when one is taken for the PrimeTimeAnytime service, leaving only 2 more, but I don't think our viewing habits would be hindered by this limitation, my wife mainly records PrimeTimeShows anyway, so she'd always have that one tuner to record on. I guess if she were watching them while one was recording that would then leave me with only 1 tuner to say watch a live game or some other show right? The 5 seems to sound like a better deal right now.

I love SiriusXM music and that would be a major plus for Dish. However I dont know if its a good sole reason to go with Dish? I will have an AVR soon that has LAN inputs that can stream from my existing XM account to the tuner. So its not a deal breaker but the nice menu GUI with icons and logos of the channels is cool, lol.

What else would Dish give me that DTV can't...?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

There wasn't enough in this thread to convince you DIRECTV was a good solution?

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=212058

You mentioned that 95% of what you watch on TV is sports, have you confirmed that you will get the sports you want on Dish?

#3 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Ok so I'm leaving AT&T, breaking my bundle up...I'm sitting at this crossroads for going to Dish or DTV...trying to figure out which one is best for me and my family and our viewing habits.

I've heard the good on DTV, been in that thread and others on AVS Forum, they had me sold, till I started investigating and watching demons on YouTube of The Hopper etc...and it opened my eyes to Dish.

If you were to try to sway me, or make me see and like Dish over DTV, how would you do it, what features would you say are better on Dish that DTV can't touch or aren't quite as good as?

I've heard the 1080i picture on Dish is not quite 1080i etc...because of bandwidth and that DTV has the most, etc...PQ is important to me, probably the main reason I started looking to leave UVerse.

So far the things I like that I'm seeing from Dish are the Hopper/Joey whole home DVR setup. 3 tuners vs their 5 is not as good especially when one is taken for the PrimeTimeAnytime service, leaving only 2 more, but I don't think our viewing habits would be hindered by this limitation, my wife mainly records PrimeTimeShows anyway, so she'd always have that one tuner to record on. I guess if she were watching them while one was recording that would then leave me with only 1 tuner to say watch a live game or some other show right? The 5 seems to sound like a better deal right now.

I love SiriusXM music and that would be a major plus for Dish. However I dont know if its a good sole reason to go with Dish? I will have an AVR soon that has LAN inputs that can stream from my existing XM account to the tuner. So its not a deal breaker but the nice menu GUI with icons and logos of the channels is cool, lol.

What else would Dish give me that DTV can't...?

Look at which has the channels you watch, and in HD.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#4 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

On the top of my head, Dish has G4 (also in HD), Epix 1 (HD), Epix 2 (HD), Epix 3 (HD), Epix Drive-In, MoviePlex, IndiePlex HD, RetroPlex HD, etc.

However, it is up to you. I find Dish to have cheaper base prices than DirecTV. We had some bad installs with DirecTV in the family requiring another visit; however, I think it ha to do either with the initial installers or/an equipment. Never had a major problem with Dish, yet.

In the end, I would compare channel lineups.

DirecTV: http://www.att.com/C...nnel_Lineup.pdf

Dish:
http://www.mydish.co...grammingguides/

#5 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

You mentioned that 95% of what you watch on TV is sports, have you confirmed that you will get the sports you want on Dish?

Yes, I wanted to hear the stories from both sides. Posting in that thread gives me more of a DTV bias, where here I wanted to hear the Dish bias, thats all. A lot of the DTV owners don't have all the facts or latest facts on Dish stuff and vice versa, so I'm researching from both sides.

#6 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

On the top of my head, Dish has G4 (also in HD), Epix 1 (HD), Epix 2 (HD), Epix 3 (HD), Epix Drive-In, MoviePlex, IndiePlex HD, RetroPlex HD, etc.

However, it is up to you. I find Dish to have cheaper base prices than DirecTV. We had some bad installs with DirecTV in the family requiring another visit; however, I think it ha to do either with the initial installers or/an equipment. Never had a major problem with Dish, yet.

Sure, I've been trying to do that as well and so far all the main channels I watch are available on both. You've mentioned some here that DTV doesn't have so I'll need to see what they are, not familiar with any except G4, and see if I require them.

I guess I was hoping to hear more about features in the menu, dvrs, etcs the other things, I considered the channels to be pretty much a wash based on pretty normal viewing habits.

#7 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I do like the iPad/iPhone apps that DTV has shown as well, I'm guessing Dish has similar ones?

#8 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

DISH does not have ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, ABC Family, or DISNEY in HD.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#9 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Well, hearing that ESPN NEWS is not in HD on Dish is bad. DTV seems to be the better decision for sports.

#10 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,056 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Yes, I wanted to hear the stories from both sides. Posting in that thread gives me more of a DTV bias, where here I wanted to hear the Dish bias, thats all. A lot of the DTV owners don't have all the facts or latest facts on Dish stuff and vice versa, so I'm researching from both sides.

Very true, good luck with your decision!

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#11 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

I updated the links above to compare the two channel lineups. Do you have a list of "must have" channels?

In terms of HD, I did not notice a big difference in HD picture quality. However, I use 720p on our Sony TV; 1080i does not seem to work well with those flow options. I cannot notice a difference in 720p or 1080i on the Samsung TV. 720p seems to look better on the SD channels, though. Therefore, I use 720p on our TVs. I would try to use JustScan on the Samsung, but there were artifacts with both providers.

Dish actually had a local channel and local RSN that was not on DirecTV.

#12 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

I updated the links above to compare the two channel lineups. Do you have a list of "must have" channels?

In terms of HD, I did not notice a big difference in HD picture quality. However, I use 720p on our Sony TV; 1080i does not seem to work well with those flow options. I cannot notice a difference in 720p or 1080i on the Samsung TV. 720p seems to look better on the SD channels, though. Therefore, I use 720p on our TVs. I would try to use JustScan on the Samsung, but there were artifacts with both providers.

Thanks for updating the links, I'll go take a look.
I can't think of any MUST HAVES besides ESPNHD ESPN2 etc, the ESPNs. News wouldn't be a must have I don't think, mainly just the ones where games are on. The regional sports too, FoxSports SW or Oklahoma, etc...and then the locals too, which I plan to install an OTA anyway for back up.

My wife is the one who might have must haves but I don't know hers off the top of my head. I'll get to comparing channels.

#13 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Dish:
http://www.mydish.co...grammingguides/

That list for DirecTV is incomplete. FYI

#14 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I can't think of any MUST HAVES besides ESPNHD ESPN2 etc, the ESPNs. News wouldn't be a must have I don't think, mainly just the ones where games are on. The regional sports too, FoxSports SW or Oklahoma, etc...and then the locals too, which I plan to install an OTA anyway for back up.

My wife is the one who might have must haves but I don't know hers off the top of my head. I'll get to comparing channels.

Fox Sports SW was only a part-time HD channel on Dish before. I don't know if it still is.

#15 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

That list for DirecTV is incomplete. FYI

Is it really? I thought AT&T updated it. What is missing?

#16 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Fox Sports SW was only a part-time HD channel on Dish before. I don't know if it still is.

The SD is full-time; the HD is usually part-time.

#17 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Is it really? I thought AT&T updated it. What is missing?

A massive number of sports channels.

#18 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

The SD is full-time; the HD is usually part-time.

I just checked on it. The OP would have two RSN's that I am aware of: FS Midwest and FS Southwest

Both are full-time HD channels with DirecTV
Both are part-time HD channels with Dish Network

#19 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

James Long, one of our moderators here at DBSTalk has a DirecTV vs. Dish HD Channel Lineup Comparison PDF here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196101

And another on his website: http://jameslong.name/hdcount.html

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#20 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Sure, I've been trying to do that as well and so far all the main channels I watch are available on both. You've mentioned some here that DTV doesn't have so I'll need to see what they are, not familiar with any except G4, and see if I require them.

I guess I was hoping to hear more about features in the menu, dvrs, etcs the other things, I considered the channels to be pretty much a wash based on pretty normal viewing habits.

I do not have a Hopper. However, there is information on this site:
http://www.mydish.com/support/manuals

A family member has a 2 211s in addition to her 222k. I really like the 211s HD Solos even if they are older. You can add an OTA antenna to the back of it an view the channels through the receiver along with having the OTA channels and EPG data. I also like how it is optional to convert them to DVRs with a one-time $40 fee (for all the 211s) and external hard drives for each while avoiding the $6/month (soon to be $7/month fee). The only downside would be if you want to stream on demand content through them since you cannot with the 211s as far as I know.

spam firewall