Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network or DTV from UVerse

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I just checked on it. The OP would have two RSN's that I am aware of: FS Midwest and FS Southwest

Both are full-time HD channels with DirecTV
Both are part-time HD channels with Dish Network

That doesn't sound good to me. I don't know what "part time" means though?
Most Thunder games are on FoxSports Oklahoma (SW), and not having them in HD would be yucky...lol.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

James Long, one of our moderators here at DBSTalk has a DirecTV vs. Dish HD Channel Lineup Comparison PDF here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196101

And another on his website: http://jameslong.name/hdcount.html

Unfortunately, it too is incorrect and falsely gives Dish the HD channel count lead.

#23 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

James Long, one of our moderators here at DBSTalk has a DirecTV vs. Dish HD Channel Lineup Comparison PDF here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196101

And another on his website: http://jameslong.name/hdcount.html

Awesome, thanks!

#24 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

That doesn't sound good to me. I don't know what "part time" means though?
Most Thunder games are on FoxSports Oklahoma (SW), and not having them in HD would be yucky...lol.

Part-time = game only. You don't get any of the other content on those channels.

Also, there are big differences between the two providers if you ever choose to subscribe to a sports package (MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, ESPN Full Court, NHL Center Ice, ESPN Gameplan, etc.). Then there is rugby and the speciality channels for premier events (The Masters, Wimbledon, U.S. Open Championship, etc.).

#25 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

If you need to see what locals and RSNs are available in your area, please visit this site:
http://www.dish.com/...channels/local/

In addition, if you are trying to figure out pricing with Dish, I find this pricing calculator to be helpful:
http://commercial.di...or/default.aspx

Also, Dish added We TV HD, IFC HD, and Fuse HD yesterday.

Dish has a $9/month Multisports Package as well. FMI: http://mobile.dish.c...ainment/sports/

Dish also has the PAC-12 Network and in HD. I don't think DirecTV carries it.

#26 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Part-time = game only. You don't get any of the other content on those channels.

Also, there are big differences between the two providers if you ever choose to subscribe to a sports package (MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, ESPN Full Court, NHL Center Ice, ESPN Gameplan, etc.). Then there is rugby and the specialty channels for premier events (The Masters, Wimbledon, U.S. Open Championship, etc.).

Thank you all, this is the kind of information I'm needing and looking for.
I have printed the channels out, will sit down with the wife to make sure she gets what she's wanting and go from there.

Right now it sounds like DTV has me because of the better sports options, and a few other details. But I want to be as informed on both sides as I can before I push the final process through. I felt I hadn't done enough research on Dish yet, so thats why I came along today.

I do appreciate all inputs.

#27 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I do like the iPad/iPhone apps that DTV has shown as well, I'm guessing Dish has similar ones?

This may be helpful:

http://www.dish.com/...nology/mobile/?
http://www.dish.com/...features-button

I also like this: http://www.dishonline.com/

I like the Blockbuster@Home 1 disc at a time. However, I will admit it is a bit slower than before. However, it is included in the $10/month Blockbuster@Home price. If the Blockbusters were closer to home, it would be so awesome because we could do trade-ins in-store.

I also like that Epix "On Demand" is included if you have Epix through Dish. I use it on the Roku.

Edited by Mojo Jojo, 17 January 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,499 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Unfortunately, it too is incorrect and falsely gives Dish the HD channel count lead.

DISH: 118 channels before VOD/PPV/RSNs
DirecTV: 142 channels before VOD/PPV/Part Time RSNs
The PDF shows DirecTV over DISH 172 to 142

Feel free to PM me any missing channels (I may have missed an RSN or PPV) and I'll be glad to update the lists. I don't see how saying DirecTV has more channels than DISH "falsely gives Dish the HD channel count lead". (Perhaps you don't like the Basic HD count - but it is accurate. DISH has more basic channels, DirecTV has more premiums/sports channels.)

The main point of my lists is to show channels carried. Counts are secondary. I also have the uplinked but not yet available channels on my website ... just in case someone wants one of the channels not yet added. That way someone doesn't see (for example) IFC on the DISH list and doesn't realize it is likely to be added soon to DirecTV.

#29 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Feel free to PM me any missing channels (I may have missed an RSN or PPV) and I'll be glad to update the lists. I don't see how saying DirecTV has more channels than DISH "falsely gives Dish the HD channel count lead". (Perhaps you don't like the Basic HD count - but it is accurate. DISH has more basic channels, DirecTV has more premiums/sports channels.)

The main point of my lists is to show channels carried. Counts are secondary. I also have the uplinked but not yet available channels on my website ... just in case someone wants one of the channels not yet added. That way someone doesn't see (for example) IFC on the DISH list and doesn't realize it is likely to be added soon to DirecTV.

What are RSNs?

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,499 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Regional Sports Networks.

Both DISH and DirecTV offer the local RSNs in their second tier package (DISH AT120+, DirecTV Choice). To get all the regional sports networks regardless of location one would add on DISH's Multi-Sport pack or DirecTV's Sports Pack. (With the caveat that DirecTV has more sports channels carried and the channels are subject to blackout on both providers.) DirecTV includes the Sports Pack in their top package, Premier. DISH does not include Multi-Sport in their top package, AEP.

Edited by James Long, 17 January 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

In total HD channels DirecTV absolutely buries Dish Network. The total I thought I saw showed Dish ahead, but I may have looked at the wrong one.
DTV = Digital Television

#32 OFFLINE   MikeL DISH

MikeL DISH

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

I came across your post and just wanted to let you know that we would love to add you as our customer and that's to great to hear you've been considering giving our service a try! We do have the SiriusXM stations, as well as the Multi-Sport Pack. Have you had a chance to check that out at http://www.mydish.co...search_results? Please let me know if you have any questions!

Ok so I'm leaving AT&T, breaking my bundle up...I'm sitting at this crossroads for going to Dish or DTV...trying to figure out which one is best for me and my family and our viewing habits.

I've heard the good on DTV, been in that thread and others on AVS Forum, they had me sold, till I started investigating and watching demons on YouTube of The Hopper etc...and it opened my eyes to Dish.

If you were to try to sway me, or make me see and like Dish over DTV, how would you do it, what features would you say are better on Dish that DTV can't touch or aren't quite as good as?

I've heard the 1080i picture on Dish is not quite 1080i etc...because of bandwidth and that DTV has the most, etc...PQ is important to me, probably the main reason I started looking to leave UVerse.

So far the things I like that I'm seeing from Dish are the Hopper/Joey whole home DVR setup. 3 tuners vs their 5 is not as good especially when one is taken for the PrimeTimeAnytime service, leaving only 2 more, but I don't think our viewing habits would be hindered by this limitation, my wife mainly records PrimeTimeShows anyway, so she'd always have that one tuner to record on. I guess if she were watching them while one was recording that would then leave me with only 1 tuner to say watch a live game or some other show right? The 5 seems to sound like a better deal right now.

I love SiriusXM music and that would be a major plus for Dish. However I dont know if its a good sole reason to go with Dish? I will have an AVR soon that has LAN inputs that can stream from my existing XM account to the tuner. So its not a deal breaker but the nice menu GUI with icons and logos of the channels is cool, lol.

What else would Dish give me that DTV can't...?

#33 ONLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

I switched from DirecTV to Dish back in April of 2012. I did so for a few reasons, but the primary one was that my HD DVR's response time was glacial. I had a few bad experiences trying to change channels away from "A Baby Story" with young children in the room - over 20 seconds of screaming or badly blocked video that I could not get off the screen because no matter what button I pressed, the DVR did NOTHING. If you're considering getting DirecTV, you owe it to yourself to read some of the threads about their slow DVRs.

DirecTV's HD is slightly better. It's subtle, though, and I can't say that Dish's is in any way unwatchable. I tend to be a very fussy viewer and can detect small differences in picture quality.

Dish's OTA module is single tuner. DirecTV's is dual tuner.

NASCAR HotPass and the multiple tennis channels during major tournaments are nice to have. DirecTV has them, Dish does not. No NFL Sunday Ticket on Dish, but no NFL Red Zone on DirecTV. Some of the other premium sports packages are also not available on Dish.

It varies by market, but I've never seen an event that was available in HD on my regional sports network be only in SD on Dish. Other than live events, I never watch my RSN anyway, so I don't care that it's SD.

You can disable PTAT if you want to. It doesn't have to chew up a tuner, and it only does so for 3 hours a night. The rest of the time, you have 3 full tuners available.

Other than initial cost, there is no advantage I can see to not getting 2 Hoppers instead of 1 Hopper and 1 Joey. The monthly costs are the same, and it would double the number of tuners. And two Hoppers can see each other, so you can watch recordings off the other one just fine. That would give you 6 tuners, which is 1 better than DirecTV.

I wanted to hate DirecTV and love Dish when I switched. I no longer think either one is better. I think they are different, and it is those differences that should guide you to select one or the other. Different people have different priorities, and that's why they choose what they choose. For me, I've had no real issues with Dish that haven't been resolved quickly, and I'm a happy customer.

#34 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

I switched from DirecTV to Dish back in April of 2012. I did so for a few reasons, but the primary one was that my HD DVR's response time was glacial. I had a few bad experiences trying to change channels away from "A Baby Story" with young children in the room - over 20 seconds of screaming or badly blocked video that I could not get off the screen because no matter what button I pressed, the DVR did NOTHING. If you're considering getting DirecTV, you owe it to yourself to read some of the threads about their slow DVRs.

Same experience here. I went from a Genie to a Hopper and there's no comparison in speed and ease of use. On demand, searching, channel changes, guides, are all painful and slow on the genie. The only thing the genie has over the hopper is 2 more tuners, but then I've really started enjoying the PTAT feature on the hopper which acts as more than 1 tuner.

That being said, if Dish doesn't have the programming you are looking for there's no choice.

spam firewall