Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I get a new receiver from DTV?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   digiwendy

digiwendy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'm a newbie here but am hoping someone can help. I've been with Direct for almost 4 years. Got 2 HR21-100's when we started with Direct. About 2 years ago, we added another receiver and got an HR24-500. The difference between the two receivers is ridiculous. The two HR21's are so incredibly slow in all areas - changing channels, FF when watching recorded programs, searching, etc. The HR24 is lightening fast and has much more DVR capability.

I called Direct, asking for my older receivers to be upgraded, only to be told that I will have to pay for new receivers at a cost of about $100 each. I refused and figured I'd just have to live with it. But then I found this forum and now I'm aggravated and want new ones. Just called them again and was told they would upgrade but there was no guarantee that I would get an HR24 or anything new, for that matter and might end up with new HR21's. Seriously?

By the way, I checked and we are leasing the equipment.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to deal with this? I even threatened switching my business to Dish. They could've cared less.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

If they show up with a model you don't want, you can refuse install. Not sure if you've been reading here why you would think there is any trick to it. Even if you pay for them, unless you pay for the HR34, which is a whole different animal. You can ask for standalone, DVR, or Genie, past that its a crap shoot.
Love DirecTV on Demand? ISPs don't.

As you read posts claiming that OTA/ATSC is not important, remember that you are at the mercy of the individual stations and their negotiation status with DirecTV (not to mention missing out on subchannels). And these negotiations are not "one and done" but will come up every once in a while--and at that point you can lose your stations completely if there is an impasse.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,079 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

The CSRs have no ability to specify receivers, other than HR20. Whether they want to or not, they can't. They can specify an HR34, as its in a different class.

You can refuse install, but I would talk to the installer before he gets there, so that if he doesn't have any 24s on the truck, it can be canceled before he comes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...