Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Google declares war on the password

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

http://www.wired.com...e-password/all/

I use a slot on my Yubikey for Google, works pretty well. It doesn't replace the password in my case, just an additional layer. It currently requires a helper app, would be nice to not need that anymore.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

We took part in a pilot program for BofA a few years back which required us to enter a 5 digit from a pocket device as a second layer of protection. HATED IT!! I have enough crap on my key ring as it is and adding devices to support a second layer of protection is only going to make things more cumbersome.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I already use Google Authenticator for several services. Two-factor authentication is quickly becoming a standard.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the link.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

I wish my credit union supported something like that. Not like an RSA tag, but would love for it to support my Yubikey. The fact that I've found sites seem to allow more secure "secret answers" than passwords is interesting. "Password can't be more than 12 characters, no special characters but your childhood best friends name is %HaS%s3bgf@maNXKTYGx? No problem."

What's useful is that the Yubikey has multiple "slots". One can be set up for Google authentication, one for Lastpass or Symantec VIP. And really, you potentially wouldn't need to use it every time. I know no one else is going to be using my systems, so it only asks for it if it doesn't recognize the computer.

#6 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

blizzard came out with this in 09 i believe with the blizzard authenticator
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

I use the Big G as a search engine. Nothing more. The less they know about me, the better.

Don't trust'em a bit.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

I use the Big G as a search engine. Nothing more. The less they know about me, the better.

Don't trust'em a bit.

don't even use them for that perfer yahoo
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

The password model is broken. Sites have different requirements, idiotic restrictions, store passwords badly, either plaintext or unsalted etc etc. Something has to change.

#10 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

AmEx blows my mind with a "max 8 digit password"

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Capital One makes theirs case insensitive...

spam firewall