Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Exede Modem is it a router also

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Grippy

Grippy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts
  • Locationda UP

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Currently on Hughesnet and I can't do lots of stuff because the modem is a router and I would have to pay much more for a static IP. What's the deal with Exede? I can't drill down far enough on their webpage to find that info. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

What stuff can you not do? I have a router/modem combo with Comcast and I don't know of anything I can't do with it. And why do you want a static IP?

#3 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

What stuff can you not do? I have a router/modem combo with Comcast and I don't know of anything I can't do with it. And why do you want a static IP?

Static is ideal for VOIP and online gaming.

If your trying to set up your network for gaming, or opening up the ports for optimal performance you should probably not even bother... Internet over satellite will just result in ridiculous ping and either your going to lag to hell and just be beat repeatedly or your going to have a lag advantage.. None the less the situation wouldnt be ideal for you :P

#4 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

You got your answer on the wildblue.com forum...

The modem is not a router..it works well with most wireless routers.

You will always have a dynamically assigned IP unless you upgrade to a commercial/business account. The IP address can change anytime the modem is rebooted...but can go several months with the same IP..
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,511 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I use a DYN.com DNS name that changes when my home IP changes ... I have no need for a fixed IP to reach home anytime.

#6 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Some Exede customers use PCAnytime to access their home computers from work, or vice-versa...it does not depend on a fixed IP..
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

spam firewall