Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Like to Upgrade to Genie

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   djfrankie

djfrankie

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Good Afternoon All.

Trying to get a idea what it would take (equipment) to upgrade to Genie, from my current setup.

Thanks,
Frank
slimline, HR20-700 (livingroom), H20-100 (bedroom), lastest national release, harmony 880

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

You're going to need some work done from the looks of your equipment list (new multiswitch, etc). I would think if you buy the Genie DirecTV would take care of the rest.

Especially the slimeline. I don't think they have that any more ;)
Love DirecTV on Demand? ISPs don't.

As you read posts claiming that OTA/ATSC is not important, remember that you are at the mercy of the individual stations and their negotiation status with DirecTV (not to mention missing out on subchannels). And these negotiations are not "one and done" but will come up every once in a while--and at that point you can lose your stations completely if there is an impasse.

#3 OFFLINE   djfrankie

djfrankie

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the reply.

That's I wanted to ask here and see what needs to be done.

No more Slimline? What dish do they have now?
slimline, HR20-700 (livingroom), H20-100 (bedroom), lastest national release, harmony 880

#4 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

It seems like slimline is still valid. Looking at this Solid Signal page, I'm pretty sure I have the "AU9-S-SWM Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna SL-5 LNB Combo" setup, which was installed in October when I became a D* customer.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#5 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

If you're still running HR20s then you probably haven't had any equipment from them in a while and are more than likely out of contract.

Try calling and saying "Cancel my service" when the auto-robo-dame asks. When you get through, tell them you're looking at other options like Dish to get the whole home. Chances are, if you are polite and not confrontational, they could well offer it to you for free.

I called on Wednesday and they are installing an HR34 (Genie) along with the CCK and a new SWM tomorrow for no charge AND I got a $30.Mo credit for a year to go with it!

If you fail, decline what you are offered and call back again in a few days.
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#6 OFFLINE   djfrankie

djfrankie

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the info. Actually, been a customer for 10 years now.

Will try that approach.

Frank

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

No more Slimline? What dish do they have now?

He was joking about the mis-spelling of Slimline (slimeline) in your signature.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,749 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

And the equipment you'll need depends on what you're wanting to replace. Do you want to add it with your current DVR etc. Your H20 will need replaced if you want to use Whole Home with the Genie.

#9 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks, I wouldn't have picked on the misspell but it is in the sig, which should be a spellcheck zone ;)
Love DirecTV on Demand? ISPs don't.

As you read posts claiming that OTA/ATSC is not important, remember that you are at the mercy of the individual stations and their negotiation status with DirecTV (not to mention missing out on subchannels). And these negotiations are not "one and done" but will come up every once in a while--and at that point you can lose your stations completely if there is an impasse.

#10 OFFLINE   djfrankie

djfrankie

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

LOL. Never noticed the mis-spelling.

#11 OFFLINE   djfrankie

djfrankie

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I would like to take advantage of being able to record 5 shows. Whole Home isn't a must. Could I keep my H20 if I don't use Whole Home?
The H34 would replace the HR20

Thanks,
Frank

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,749 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Yes, the H20 is SWM compatible, it just can't connect to the HR34.

#13 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I would like to take advantage of being able to record 5 shows. Whole Home isn't a must. Could I keep my H20 if I don't use Whole Home?
The H34 would replace the HR20

Thanks,
Frank

I can't see your sig but pretty sure the h20 will be swapped by default. It will probably offer a client or h21 or higher. Personally I would keep your hr20 or change it to a client and ditch the hd. But I don't use anything but dvrs/clients. And whole home service can be turned off at any time if you choose. Besides it costs the same money to keep your dvr and if it kicks the dust you will likely get a newer model if it is replaced. But to each their own. Clients are tiny and offer some advantages. What is important to you? To me the idea behind a genie for you is more ability to dvr, hence the suggestion to keep your current dvr along with the genie. Either way good luck! Genies are gangster!

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#14 OFFLINE   djfrankie

djfrankie

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I called DTV yesterday and got Genie (to replace the HR20), whole room, CCK (will be wifi) and 1 client (to replace the H20) $49.

Currently, I have two lines running to my HR20 and 1 to my H20.

What can I expect from the install?

Thanks,
Frank

spam firewall