Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Major Windows 8 price increase

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

I knew it was an introductory offer, but yikes...

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade going from $40 to $200.

http://blogs.windows...-8-pricing.aspx

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I wouldnt even pay $40 :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

It's actually not bad, there are definitely things I like. I did get Start8 though.

$40 is a good price for Pro. $200 is not.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

It's actually not bad, there are definitely things I like. I did get Start8 though.

$40 is a good price for Pro. $200 is not.

True...but I havent seen or heard any compelling reason (unless you have a touch screen) that makes it any better than 7 Ultimate.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I wouldn't take it if they GAVE it to me lol If I buy a new computer later this year (Might buy a new notebook), and it comes with Windows 8, I'll buy Windows 7 to put on it.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Secure Boot and Trusted Boot, Storage Spaces, new NTFS health model, rewritten task manager, finally native ISO and VHD support, users not having to manually update Flash and built in basic AV (too many still don't use AV, we'll get them eventually) are some of the things that come to mind quickly.

#7 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,191 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

I wouldnt even pay $40 :)

I wouldn't even let them pay me $40, or $200. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I wouldn't take it if they GAVE it to me lol If I buy a new computer later this year (Might buy a new notebook), and it comes with Windows 8, I'll buy Windows 7 to put on it.

Honestly, I'd at least try it a week or two before going back to 7. Everyone concentrates on the metro start screen, I rarely see it with the way I use it.

#9 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Eew... Microsoft can keep Windows 8. I like to call it Windows hate.

Oh did you see Office 2013 too? What an eyesore. Thing blinds you with 99% white UI, no distinction between controls and SHOUTING menu commands.

I don't like where Microsoft is going. I'd much rather move to Ubuntu or Mac OS if they keep it up.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Those of you that don't like 8, is that based on using it on a regular basis for a week or two, playing around with it in the store, or based on online reviews and screenshots?

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Those of you that don't like 8, is that based on using it on a regular basis for a week or two, playing around with it in the store, or based on online reviews and screenshots?

Most likely it's based on Microsoft's history of having a generation skipping issue ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

I used it a bit in VMware and also setup a new computer for my Dad. Not really digging windows 8. Though Office 2013 is worse.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#13 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

My decision is based more in my fondness for Windows 7 Ultimate, not needing any of the new "features", and absolutely HATING my Windows Phone interface which looks to be the same interface used in Windows 8.

#14 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Oh did you see Office 2013 too? What an eyesore. Thing blinds you with 99% white UI, no distinction between controls and SHOUTING menu commands.

Visual Studio 2012 has this same abomination. Fortunately there are registry tweaks you can do to disable the shouting menus.

I don't like where MS is going either. I'm usually a fan of simple, but removing all traces of depth, detail and refinement in the UI isn't the way to do it.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

My decision is based more in my fondness for Windows 7 Ultimate, not needing any of the new "features", and absolutely HATING my Windows Phone interface which looks to be the same interface used in Windows 8.

In a way, if you use Metro apps. I am almost always just in the desktop.

#16 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,265 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

The one *compelling* feature that had me upgrade a new machine was Storage Spaces. It's like a poor man's RAID.

On my setup downstairs, I have 4 internal SATA and 4 external USB 3.0 3TB drives in one storage pool, set for two-way duplication. This means I have 24TB of disk available in this pool and losing one drive means NO files get lost (I can also set it up so that I can lose two drives and not lose anything - more redundancy).

I have one gargantuan X: drive that I share on my LAN and *all* my backed up recorded tv shows are on it. I don't have to wonder what show is on what drive.

The compelling reason for *Pro* is that I can Remote Host into it and Backup to a network drive.

I also put a WIn 8 Start Button on the machine as they could take Metro and throw it out the window if there's no touch screen - and I have none. Why they make that the default, I DO understand. Why they don't realize it's CRAP for mouse-based interfaces, I do NOT understand.

#17 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

I understand the Windows 8 hate but honestly, with the $5 Start8 app it's really just an evolution of Windows7 and not bad at all. The loss of Aero is a bit disappointing but that's about it. For $40 (ok, $45) it's probably worth it. For $200 - forget it!
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#18 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

I understand the Windows 8 hate but honestly, with the $5 Start8 app it's really just an evolution of Windows7 and not bad at all. The loss of Aero is a bit disappointing but that's about it. For $40 (ok, $45) it's probably worth it. For $200 - forget it!

When I first installed W8 is installed start8 on the machines, found this one more recently and it has a lot more bells and whistles and is cheaper.

http://startisback.com/

2 PC's for 3.00 and 5 for 5.00

#19 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Honestly I have purchased the Windows operating system so many times they should just send me a free copy of Windows 8.

This is the first release of Windows that I have no real reason to run out and purchase, Windows 7 64 bit version was a big deal but until I see something on Windows 8 that is a must have they can just keep it.

#20 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,265 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

In a few of my cases, the $40 upgrade to Win 8 Pro that allows me to remote host into a machine is a better bargain than the nearly $100 Win 7 Home Premium to Pro upgrade to get the same feature.

I certainly don't need it on every machine, but I bought a few licenses today.

#21 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I tried the Win 8 preview edition for a couple weeks, using a dual boot setup on my Acer laptop - Win 7 or Win 8.

I really wasn't impressed. :nono2:

I have put Office 2013 preview on my Win 7 machine. It's fine, just takes a little getting used to. I'm still using Windows 2007 on my XP desktop.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#22 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,299 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

I knew it was an introductory offer, but yikes...

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade going from $40 to $200.

http://blogs.windows...-8-pricing.aspx

I got an email from Microsoft this morning offering the dowload for $39.99 or the Disc for $69.99.
This offer is good until Jan 31.

Edited by jimmie57, 24 January 2013 - 07:28 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...