Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does the law that kicks in soon mean ALL locals will be carried by Dish?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

So, I think I read that the law that requires carriers to carry all locals kicks in pretty soon. Does this mean that Dish will be required to carry all of my locals? For example, here in Sioux City, IA area Dish carries the NBC KTIV 004-00 channel, but not the KTIV 004-02 station. Will they be required to start providing that station?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Dish already carries all locals for which they have a carriage agreement.

They have all 210 DMA's covered.

Some stations may not be up because they cannot agree with Dish on a price for their signal.

By the end of February 2013 Dish is also required to carry one-carry all for HD signals, so all HD signals on the primary station (XX-1) of all full power stations will be carried if they carry any of the stations in that DMA in HD.

If Dish does not carry any of your DMA's stations in HD, then they have no obligation at all toward HD carriage there.

There are 5 requitrements for Dish to carry your local stations in HD:

1. The station must have an HD signal.

2. Dish must have an HD carriage agreement with the station.

3. The station must be full power.

4. The station is not a sub channel of another station.

5. Dish must be carrying one other station in the DMA in HD.

Failure of any one of the above drops the station from mandatory HD carriage.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Just so I understand.

Today Dish carries the Big 4 in HD in my DMA

So by the end of Feb I should expect my CW, PBS Nebraska, and PBS Iowa all in HD since they are all full power and are in my DMA?

So thats 3 new HD channels, does Dish have the capacity for the Western Arch.
I see DirecTV already has all of these channels in HD for my DMA so they meet the requirement.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Just so I understand.

Today Dish carries the Big 4 in HD in my DMA

So by the end of Feb I should expect my CW, PBS Nebraska, and PBS Iowa all in HD since they are all full power and are in my DMA?

So thats 3 new HD channels, does Dish have the capacity for the Western Arch.
I see DirecTV already has all of these channels in HD for my DMA so they meet the requirement.

The only qualification not covered in your post is if Dish has a transmission agreement with the channels in question. Direct may have them and Dish may not.

#5 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Not sure how it affects satellite, but Cable only has to carry one PBS in a market. So, there may be a reason why you would not get the additional PBS station.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,659 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

For clarification ... there is no law that requires all locals to be carried by DISH (or DirecTV). There is a law that requires satellite providers to offer carriage to all stations in a market if any station in the market is carried (if a station withholds permission to carry their signal it cannot be carried). There is also a provision in the law that rewards DISH with the ability to offer Distant Networks if carriage is offered in all markets. DISH no longer offers Distant Networks so that portion of the law has been rendered moot.

The carriage offer requirement ONLY applies to the primary signal of a full power station. Satellite providers do not have to offer carriage of subchannels.

Carry one/Carry all for HD is an agreement between DISH, DirecTV and the FCC. The satellite providers agreed to offer carriage to all commercial HD stations within each market where any commercial HD station was carried, with a deadline of four years after DTV transition. I do not know if the extension of DTV transition to June 12th, 2009, affects the agreement.

Non-commercial stations are not covered by the law or agreement in the same way commercial stations are covered. For basic carriage (not HD) the law treats non-commercial stations as "must carry" and the stations cannot withhold their signals ... but duplicate networks within the same market do not have to be carried unless the stations are in different states. There is also a section of law specifically directed at HD carriage of non-commercial stations allowing satellite carriers to not carry non-comm stations in HD under certain circumstances.

Jim's list is a good guideline to decide if a station "should" be in HD.

We should also note that the rules stated are a minimum ... there is nothing stopping DISH or DirecTV from agreeing to carry channels and subchannels beyond the minimum the law requires as long as the stations agree. Carriage of HD signals that are not broadcast, multiple subchannels of the same channel or HD signals of low power stations - all can be negotiated. There is no "if DISH carries it DirecTV must carry it" law (or vice-versa).

#7 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Just to clarify.... the Sioux City CW affiliate is a subchannel, KTIV/4.2, so it doesn't qualify for must-carry rights. The only way KTIV could force it to be added is through retransmission consent negotiations for the main channel.

#8 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Another year has gone by and still no locals in HD here in the Rapid City area. I guess we just are not that important to Dish as other areas. Yet all other providers carry them in HD......sigh :nono2:

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Another year has gone by and still no locals in HD here in the Rapid City area. I guess we just are not that important to Dish as other areas. Yet all other providers carry them in HD......sigh :nono2:

Just switch to a provider that offers them. DirecTV appears to.
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Dish already carries all locals for which they have a carriage agreement.

They have all 210 DMA's covered.

Some stations may not be up because they cannot agree with Dish on a price for their signal.

By the end of February 2013 Dish is also required to carry one-carry all for HD signals, so all HD signals on the primary station (XX-1) of all full power stations will be carried if they carry any of the stations in that DMA in HD.

If Dish does not carry any of your DMA's stations in HD, then they have no obligation at all toward HD carriage there.

There are 5 requitrements for Dish to carry your local stations in HD:

1. The station must have an HD signal.

2. Dish must have an HD carriage agreement with the station.

3. The station must be full power.

4. The station is not a sub channel of another station.

5. Dish must be carrying one other station in the DMA in HD.

Failure of any one of the above drops the station from mandatory HD carriage.

Wonder what that means for me. I am a DirecTV customer who has all my locals but there is no CW in my market. I get the DNS feed imported but it is not HD. I wonder if this will require that to change.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Wonder what that means for me. I am a DirecTV customer who has all my locals but there is no CW in my market. I get the DNS feed imported but it is not HD. I wonder if this will require that to change.

Shouldn't affect that since not having a local CW in HD or at all has literally nothing to do with any of the requirements that were presented earlier in this thread. I'm in a slightly similar situation where our CW is a subchannel to ABC, and not in HD....it basically unwatchable.

spam firewall