Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

on demand download speeds.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Is it just me, with Mediacom internet or is it not an ISP issue and similar across the board? I find that DirecTV serves up on demand very slowly. I usually try to let movies load up to 30% before watching but can still wind up running out of buffer. My download speeds are usually around 20mbps. At least that is what I pay for.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Is it just me, with Mediacom internet or is it not an ISP issue and similar across the board? I find that DirecTV serves up on demand very slowly. I usually try to let movies load up to 30% before watching but can still wind up running out of buffer. My download speeds are usually around 20mbps. At least that is what I pay for.

I have a 12 Mb/s U-Verse, which tests very close to this and I don't have buffer problems.
Some of this "may" be due to the program you're looking at, as file sizes/bit rates do vary.
SHO has been one of the larger compared to say Starz.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

How is your system connected to the internet? Is it hard wired or connected with a wireless connection kit?

#4 OFFLINE   DeeZee

DeeZee

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I have had issues with their on demand download speeds as well. I have gone wired and wireless as I have both kits. My internet is with TWC and I have the 30mbps internet tier. I have just come to my consensus that directv just limits the amount of bandwidth they can offer for uploading to their customers to keep everyone at a speed their bandwidth can handle.

When I first got the service 2 months ago I could let a movie get to 30% and it would get to the point where it would have to buffer. However I just tried last night cause I got a new tv and let it go to 10% and it played all the way through.

I hope you can get your issue resolved. Have you tried doing a speed test at www . speedtest . net and post your results. Maybe your provider isn't getting all the bandwidth you pay for to you. Could be a simple modem restart or maybe they need to come out and check your equipment.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I have had issues with their on demand download speeds as well. I have gone wired and wireless as I have both kits. My internet is with TWC and I have the 30mbps internet tier. I have just come to my consensus that directv just limits the amount of bandwidth they can offer for uploading to their customers to keep everyone at a speed their bandwidth can handle.

When I first got the service 2 months ago I could let a movie get to 30% and it would get to the point where it would have to buffer. However I just tried last night cause I got a new tv and let it go to 10% and it played all the way through.

I hope you can get your issue resolved. Have you tried doing a speed test at www . speedtest . net and post your results. Maybe your provider isn't getting all the bandwidth you pay for to you. Could be a simple modem restart or maybe they need to come out and check your equipment.

If you have a constant 10 Mb/s, you should be fine, as DirecTV will only send it "in real time".
With the Genie, there is a "watch now" where it downloads but starts playing at the same time.
I don't run out of buffer, but it also isn't feeding so much that the buffer gets larger either.
With my 12 Mb/s HD is only slightly faster the 1:1, though if I go for a program off of Starz, they seem to be around 6 Mb/s, so they come faster.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   DeeZee

DeeZee

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

So its the content provider I.E. HBO, SHO which actually upload the video content to you? I have under the impression Directv was sending this info over.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,995 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I think it comes from directv. I know HBO doesn't deliver it, it's one reason they won't let a non tv subscriber to pay for online access.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

So its the content provider I.E. HBO, SHO which actually upload the video content to you? I have under the impression Directv was sending this info over.

I believe it comes from DirecTV as I've seen photos of their server room for this.
Now "what they get" from the suppliers is where the size differences come from.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

My last few downloads there was a box that asked if I wanted hi quality or low. any one ran into this. tired both and look about the same. The hi took all night and the low was very fast? ran speed test and TWC is good.

#10 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,842 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

We have not seen any issues with download/streaming of on demand content. My son downloaded a few Portlandia episodes the other day (this was SD of course) and they took about 5 minutes per episode. HD comes down at about twice realtime (i.e. 60 minutes for a two hour movie). We have FiOS Quantum 75mbps service.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

We have not seen any issues with download/streaming of on demand content. My son downloaded a few Portlandia episodes the other day (this was SD of course) and they took about 5 minutes per episode. HD comes down at about twice realtime (i.e. 60 minutes for a two hour movie). We have FiOS Quantum 75mbps service.

I think you'd be the first to ever post this. If the bit-rate for this HD is close to 6 Mb/s, this time is fairly reasonable, but I haven't ever read/heard that the DirecTV stream gets higher than 9 Mb/s. :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,842 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I admit we haven't timed it, but that's roughly what we get. :whatdidid Maybe it was 75 minutes for a 2 hour movie, certainly no more than that.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#13 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

If the OP is DL using the HR34 then then new download should stream OD real time with their speed. I have used it several times since the update and I get a message that says preparing for playback and then it streams realtime with no buffer at all.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I admit we haven't timed it, but that's roughly what we get. :whatdidid Maybe it was 75 minutes for a 2 hour movie, certainly no more than that.

Since MPEG-4 bit-rates vary so much, it gets hard to nail down exactly what you're getting.
"Generally" the stream is just fast enough to keep up with watching real time and not have buffer problems.
I downloaded a good 10 shows off of Starz and was surprised they finished as quickly as they did. Given I only have 12 Mb/s, they came through at close to 1.5:1.
Using DirecTV2PC, showed their bit-rates were around 6 Mb/s on the average, and yet the PQ was fine. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,345 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Speedtest. is fine for some things, but its measuring of the first few seconds of d/l and u/l often don't translate into real speeds over time. Don't know what the answer is to this, but network traffic between your modem and the central connection can bog down significantly. I've experienced from lightning fast to glacial- pardon the hyperbole!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

It's not very obvious to a lot of people (EDIT: I don't mean this as an insult, I mean its not very obvious to non-techy / non-Windows / non-UI people :D), but you need to wait for the progress bar to turn green, not the %. If you have a slow connection, waiting for 30% may not turn the bar green. If you pay attention, you'll notice that the bar starts out red meaning you are DEFINITELY going to run out of buffer if you start watching now. After a while it'll turn yellow which means you MAY run out of buffer if you start watching now. After it's downloaded enough, it'll turn green and you SHOULD be good to go (can still run out of buffer if the connection speed drops significantly).

This has absolutely nothing to do with %'s. It's simply calculating your real time download speed and figuring out how much longer its going to take to download the program vs. how much of the program you have in the buffer.

#17 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have a 30mb down and 5mb up internet connection and generally the On Demand download speed is pathetically slow. Certainly not 1:1, but a lot slower than it should be. This is no big deal for us since we tend to download On Demand programs and watch them later. (and there are no wireless connections in the process)

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I have a 30mb down and 5mb up internet connection and generally the On Demand download speed is pathetically slow. Certainly not 1:1, but a lot slower than it should be. This is no big deal for us since we tend to download On Demand programs and watch them later. (and there are no wireless connections in the process)

Long ago, when this first came out, I was on a cable modem, and my 3 Mb/s was only that at 2 AM. Midday it could be almost as slow as dial-up, to the point that the last weekend I had it an SD VOD was taking 18 hr.
Next day I changed providers and never had a problem since.
I've mapped out times and mins of programing, with 3, 6, and now 12 Mb/s, and just don't see problems from DirecTV's side, though they don't look to be above ≈ 9 Mb/s.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Yesterday I downloaded a movie from On Demand. Movie was about an hour and 26 minutes long. Total download time was less than 46 minutes. I'm on a 25 meg download but tested at 35 during that time. Router was set to prioritize download from FTP server.

#20 OFFLINE   DeeZee

DeeZee

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I don't know what happened, however I downloaded a movie off HBO this past weekend and started watching it right away to see if it would stop to buffer.... nope played from beginning to end without really giving it time download before playing. Well i wont complain :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...