Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

on demand download speeds.

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

This is the new software that "fixed" the ondemand. Good internet should get you real time "streaming".

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I tested my HR34 for a 1 hour HD show off the AUD network. It downloaded in ~30 mins. On my previous HR21, stuff would download very slow, so looks like it may be better on the HR34. All other things were equal on the connection side.

#23 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

is there a way to determine the network speed on an HRxx? I know I can go to Speedtest dot net or some other site to see my speed on my computer or smart phone, but is there some way to check it on the HRxx??

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I tested my HR34 for a 1 hour HD show off the AUD network. It downloaded in ~30 mins. On my previous HR21, stuff would download very slow, so looks like it may be better on the HR34. All other things were equal on the connection side.

The AUD channel is 720p, which might be why you got ≈ 2:1
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

is there a way to determine the network speed on an HRxx? I know I can go to Speedtest dot net or some other site to see my speed on my computer or smart phone, but is there some way to check it on the HRxx??

Not off of the receiver that I know of.
You can setup a couple of recordings and see when each starts, then look at how long each is. What gets harder is finding out the recording's bit-rate.
Some routers can monitor their ports and you can stream a program with DirecTV2PC to a computer and get an idea of the bit-rate.
A.K.A VOS

#26 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

The AUD channel is 720p, which might be why you got ≈ 2:1

I just checked and it also didn't have commercials so it was only 43 mins, so not great speed that I thought I was getting

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

My last few downloads there was a box that asked if I wanted hi quality or low. any one ran into this. tired both and look about the same. The hi took all night and the low was very fast? ran speed test and TWC is good.

I've seen that box and used the better HD option. Downloaded quickly.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Not off of the receiver that I know of.
You can setup a couple of recordings and see when each starts, then look at how long each is. What gets harder is finding out the recording's bit-rate.
Some routers can monitor their ports and you can stream a program with DirecTV2PC to a computer and get an idea of the bit-rate.

I can usually watch OD downloads after a couple minutes, if it's something I'm planning on watching immediately. Don't have to wait for the green, I start watching after a couple minutes and never have a buffering problem. And, now they've fixed the audio and video sync problem!

I watched an episode of Spartacus the other day while the HR was downloading the whole season's content and when I was done watching the first episode the HR was downloading the fourth episode. Second and third episodes had already downloaded.

About the same thing happened with Dexter a few days ago.

My cable modem puts out about 56mbs to the router and that's where you can see what else is pulling BB from the router. Simply put, it's the router you have to measure. Speedtest just measures what you are getting to the modem. After that, the router software should tell you what's going on. I went thru all kinds of Net problems last year and it was my OOMA causing the problem. Took that off and resolved the problem.

One thing more about Speedtest, if you go from server to server you'll see each one has a different download speed. Since I have Cablevison's modem, I use the server in NYC that says "Optimum" on it.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

...One thing more about Speedtest, if you go from server to server you'll see each one has a different download speed. Since I have Cablevison's modem, I use the server in NYC that says "Optimum" on it.

Rich

Of course that is going to give you your maximum attainable rate, since that is testing solely within Cablevision's network.

To get a more realistic idea of what a download from DirecTV's servers would run at, you could try a server at a greater distance - like Texas, or California. That will involve crossing a number of backbone routers and so include the effects of some router congestion.

Different routes will also yield different results. As an example, I just ran a test to Secaucus NJ and get 82Mbps down. Then I ran a test to Los Angeles and got 18Mbps, but a test to San Jose yielded 75Mbps.

Edited by Diana C, 23 January 2013 - 01:16 PM.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Of course that is going to give you your maximum attainable rate, since that is testing solely within Cablevision's network.

To get a more realistic idea of what a download from DirecTV's servers would run at, you could try a server at a greater distance - like Texas, or California. That will involve crossing a number of backbone routers and so include the effects of some router congestion.

Different routes will also yield different results. As an example, I just ran a test to Secaucus NJ and get 82Mbps down. Then I ran a test to Los Angeles and got 18Mbps, but a test to San Jose yielded 75Mbps.

I know. It's kinda mind-boggling. All CV cares about is the speed from their Optimum server in NY. What happens after that is kinda up to you to figure out. When I pointed this out to a CV manager, who actually came to my house, he just said as long as we supply the modem with what we advertise, that's as far as we go.

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I know. It's kinda mind-boggling. All CV cares about is the speed from their Optimum server in NY. What happens after that is kinda up to you to figure out. When I pointed this out to a CV manager, who actually came to my house, he just said as long as we supply the modem with what we advertise, that's as far as we go.

Rich

Are you saying that CV should be concerned about the speed of the internet itself? All they can control at all is the speed TO the internet from your installation. What happens with network switching after that to skip around the world is not under their control.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Are you saying that CV should be concerned about the speed of the internet itself? All they can control at all is the speed TO the internet from your installation. What happens with network switching after that to skip around the world is not under their control.

Tony, you don't know what I went thru with CV last year. My download speed was 2mbs most of the time (that's for ~ $79 a month). That's why the manager came to my house. He didn't want to and was told by CV to get out to my home and fix it. The main problem was with CVs antiquated delivery system. They found all kinds of problems and fixed them. What I've written about was incidental to that.

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Tony, you don't know what I went thru with CV last year. My download speed was 2mbs most of the time (that's for ~ $79 a month). That's why the manager came to my house. He didn't want to and was told by CV to get out to my home and fix it. The main problem was with CVs antiquated delivery system. They found all kinds of problems and fixed them. What I've written about was incidental to that.

Rich

Sounds pretty bad. Sorry to hear it. I was just not understanding what you were saying. If they are not delivering good thru put consistently, then the problem is theirs as they should deliver good speed from their connection to the backbone to your house.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#34 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Is it just me, with Mediacom internet or is it not an ISP issue and similar across the board? I find that DirecTV serves up on demand very slowly. I usually try to let movies load up to 30% before watching but can still wind up running out of buffer. My download speeds are usually around 20mbps. At least that is what I pay for.

I have the same speed, verified with Speedtest and I have the same issue reported above. I find I have to let the entire VOD download or I run into the buffering issue. My setup is wireless. I have let movies load to 50% and still run into buffering issues.

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Sounds pretty bad. Sorry to hear it. I was just not understanding what you were saying. If they are not delivering good thru put consistently, then the problem is theirs as they should deliver good speed from their connection to the backbone to your house.

Some CV guys from Montana were at my house after Sandy hit. They had to put in a new drop. Talked to them for quite a while and they were shocked at how bad the local CV equipment is.

What I had last year was a repeat of the year before. Same thing, but CV was blaming that on someone in my neighborhood using massive servers and had trucks out looking for them. I got this from a guy who stopped by to tell me he had seen my work order and nothing was gonna get done in my home until the whole problem was solved. Nice guy, most of them are, they're just dealing with a system that needs to be upgraded.

Rich

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have the same speed, verified with Speedtest and I have the same issue reported above. I find I have to let the entire VOD download or I run into the buffering issue. My setup is wireless. I have let movies load to 50% and still run into buffering issues.

I never have buffering problems with VOD or NetFlix. I'd be looking at the router. How old is it?

Rich

#37 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I can't speak for other ISPs, but I do have a lot of experience with those I've had.
Cable has a weakness of sharing bandwidth from the node, where copper changes to fiber.
DSL, or U-verse, has a weakness over distance to their node/VRAD, where it changes to fiber.

Cable can be great went it's managed well, and horrible when it's not.

Case in point:

A "mom & pop" local cable company finally added internet service where I used to live. This was the first broadband to come into the area.
I signed up the first week for their 1 Mb/s service. WooHoo!!!!

Over time, they were bought out and the new company upgraded the service to 3 Mb/s. Around this time DirecTV VOD came out.

The cable was sold again to another company. This was still the only broadband service for the area, so the customers had grown and the service was problematic to say the least.
There were times my speedtest showed I was just above dial-up speed for the 3 Mb/s service. :(
For about a year or so, I tried to work with them to resolve this. The techs were the same from the old company and were some good guys. I could show them the speedtest results, and how it varied over time of day.
This first thing their manager did was to tweak their end so speedtest always returned a good report. This didn't change the VOD download times, but merely masked the problem.
What was strange was I could download large service packs from Microsoft at full speed, but not VOD.
The real problem was they'd oversold the service for the node, as there were over 500 customers on it. They knew they needed to add another node and split the customers, but this took them another 2 years to run the fiber needed, and DSL came into the area a year before, so I dumped cable and went with DSL.

The point of this is, speedtest and the other tests can be fooled by your ISP. They can even control what you get from what server.

Whether yours is doing this or not, I don't know, but since I changed ISPs, I've no longer run into VOD problems, and the DirecTV servers seem to stream in the range of 7-9 Mb/s.
A.K.A VOS

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

I can't speak for other ISPs, but I do have a lot of experience with those I've had.
Cable has a weakness of sharing bandwidth from the node, where copper changes to fiber.
DSL, or U-verse, has a weakness over distance to their node/VRAD, where it changes to fiber.

Cable can be great went it's managed well, and horrible when it's not.

Case in point:

A "mom & pop" local cable company finally added internet service where I used to live. This was the first broadband to come into the area.
I signed up the first week for their 1 Mb/s service. WooHoo!!!!

Over time, they were bought out and the new company upgraded the service to 3 Mb/s. Around this time DirecTV VOD came out.

The cable was sold again to another company. This was still the only broadband service for the area, so the customers had grown and the service was problematic to say the least.
There were times my speedtest showed I was just above dial-up speed for the 3 Mb/s service. :(
For about a year or so, I tried to work with them to resolve this. The techs were the same from the old company and were some good guys. I could show them the speedtest results, and how it varied over time of day.
This first thing their manager did was to tweak their end so speedtest always returned a good report. This didn't change the VOD download times, but merely masked the problem.
What was strange was I could download large service packs from Microsoft at full speed, but not VOD.
The real problem was they'd oversold the service for the node, as there were over 500 customers on it. They knew they needed to add another node and split the customers, but this took them another 2 years to run the fiber needed, and DSL came into the area a year before, so I dumped cable and went with DSL.

The point of this is, speedtest and the other tests can be fooled by your ISP. They can even control what you get from what server.

Whether yours is doing this or not, I don't know, but since I changed ISPs, I've no longer run into VOD problems, and the DirecTV servers seem to stream in the range of 7-9 Mb/s.

I gotta say I'm satisfied now. My VOD loads fast and the audio and video are synced properly. I watch more VOD and NF content than anything else. My wife and I watch strictly D* content, but I've showed her VOD and NF streaming and she's started to use them. And likes them.

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I gotta say I'm satisfied now. My VOD loads fast and the audio and video are synced properly. I watch more VOD and NF content than anything else. My wife and I watch strictly D* content, but I've showed her VOD and NF streaming and she's started to use them. And likes them.

Rich

I guess I should have also added that:

The last weekend I had cable, I also had DSL, so I setup SD VOD downloads from each service to check and see what DirecTV's side was doing, as both were a 3 Mb/s service.

DSL was coming at 1:1 [SD] and the first SD over cable took about 18 hours, and the second hadn't finished after 22 hours.
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

This wasn't meant to degrade cable service, as U-verse took a couple of months for them to figure out they had a bad piece of equipment on the other end of their fiber.
Once they got that fixed, my 12 Mb/s connection lets me watch HD Ondemand with the "watch now" option and I don't run into buffer problems.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall