Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

on demand download speeds.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Does anyone know if DirecTV uses CDN's (Content Delivery Networks) for the on demand content? Or is everything stored on servers in one location?

If no CDN's are used, latency will play a big factor in download speeds. I've watch the realtime bandwidth monitor on my router while downloading shows and it usually averages around 5 - 7 Mbps on my 20Mbps VDSL connection. Of course, I am in Hawaii so latency is a big issue for me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

My router is only a year old. Linksys ea4500.

#43 OFFLINE   jburns

jburns

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I have a 30mb down and 5mb up internet connection and generally the On Demand download speed is pathetically slow. Certainly not 1:1, but a lot slower than it should be. This is no big deal for us since we tend to download On Demand programs and watch them later. (and there are no wireless connections in the process)

It's hard to make sense out of much of this thread because of improper terminology. I'm not attacking you but just using your post as an example. I don't know what mb stands for. In the context we are talking about it should either be MB or Mb. MB is megabytes. Mb is megabits. One MB equals eight Mbs. Hell of a difference when your waiting for a movie to download.

#44 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

It's hard to make sense out of much of this thread because of improper terminology. I'm not attacking you but just using your post as an example. I don't know what mb stands for. In the context we are talking about it should either be MB or Mb. MB is megabytes. Mb is megabits. One MB equals eight Mbs. Hell of a difference when your waiting for a movie to download.

True, some of the terminology is vague, but do you really think that he's talking about a 240 Megabit / 40 Megabit residential connection? Granted, they do exist in places, but I think most people know what he's referring to.

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

My router is only a year old. Linksys ea4500.

Good one. I've got the 4200 V1. Does all I ask it to.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

As long as everyone understands, what difference does it make? I've seen mbs and Mbs written by manufacturers and when we're talking about downloading speeds, everyone should know what we're talking about. I see someone write "esata" and I know that's not correct, but I know what it means. In other words, most texts are context driven. I'm certainly not gonna (oops, not a word) try to correct every "esata" I see as long as I can understand the meaning from the context of the post. Look at your own post. You've used "your" and that's just wrong in the context of that sentence. Think 20 of us are gonna jump on that? Of course not. We know what you mean. As you wrote, "I'm not attacking you", just trying to let you know if you expect to see every word or acronym or abbreviation written exactly as it should be, you're just gonna be constantly frustrated.

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

As long as everyone understands, what difference does it make? I've seen mbs and Mbs written by manufacturers and when we're talking about downloading speeds, everyone should know what we're talking about. I see someone write "esata" and I know that's not correct, but I know what it means. In other words, most texts are context driven. I'm certainly not gonna (oops, not a word) try to correct every "esata" I see as long as I can understand the meaning from the context of the post. Look at your own post. You've used "your" and that's just wrong in the context of that sentence. Think 20 of us are gonna jump on that? Of course not. We know what you mean. As you wrote, "I'm not attacking you", just trying to let you know if you expect to see every word or acronym or abbreviation written exactly as it should be, you're just gonna be constantly frustrated.

Rich

True;

Just like during an internet outage in my area late last night (TWC R.R. 12/1 service) I was checking my cable modem (SA DPC2100 Rev. 2) numbers via its 192.168.100.1 web utility.

And it list the receive and transmit power levels in "dbmV," the receive S/N ratio is also in "dbmV." And while the upstream rate is listed as "Symbol Rate" with the correct units of "Ksym/s," the downstream rate from the CMTS is labeled as "Bit Rate," but list the symbol rate for it instead, spelled all the way out with 7 figures in units of "Hz." :nono:

So yes, you have to pay close attention to the context as even manufacturers play quite loose with terminology many times.

#48 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

True;

Just like during an internet outage in my area late last night (TWC R.R. 12/1 service) I was checking my cable modem (SA DPC2100 Rev. 2) numbers via its 192.168.100.1 web utility.

And it list the receive and transmit power levels in "dbmV," the receive S/N ratio is also in "dbmV." And while the upstream rate is listed as "Symbol Rate" with the correct units of "Ksym/s," the downstream rate from the CMTS is labeled as "Bit Rate," but list the symbol rate for it instead, spelled all the way out with 7 figures in units of "Hz." :nono:

So yes, you have to pay close attention to the context as even manufacturers play quite loose with terminology many times.

True. It's hard to keep up with the proper spelling as much as we'd all like to be correct all the time. As long as I can figure out what the poster is saying, I'm OK with just about any spelling, not that I know what all the abbreviations mean. But, a quick search usually answers my questions.

A thoroughly frustrated poster doesn't come here for grammar lessons, he comes here for help. Correcting his posts just drives him up the wall a little higher.

Rich

#49 OFFLINE   jburns

jburns

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

A thoroughly frustrated poster doesn't come here for grammar lessons, he comes here for help. Correcting his posts just drives him up the wall a little higher.

Rich

But I didn't do that did I. You seem to be having trouble with the definition of grammar. Who cares though. Terminology, grammar, its all the same. Just use whatever word you want. We can use a magic eight ball to figure out what you mean. Who cares.

#50 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

But I didn't do that did I. You seem to be having trouble with the definition of grammar. Who cares though. Terminology, grammar, its all the same. Just use whatever word you want. We can use a magic eight ball to figure out what you mean. Who cares.

You meant: "But I didn't do that, did I?". You seem to be having a problem of your own. Again, "Who cares, though?. And, yet again: "Who cares?". You seem to have a problem with punctuation marks.

Rich

#51 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

You seem to have a problem with punctuation marks.

Rich

You meant:
"You seem to have a problem with punctuation marks!"

:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#52 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I have DSL and it varies from slow to incredibly slow. It takes 15-18 hours to download 1 hour of HD content. This is on a hardwired connection to HR-34. I think my setup is fine and was pretty much the same with Dish. I'm trying to catch up on some series and would love to download in SD or some lower rez. I have never seen the box asking what resolution I would prefer. Anyone know how I can get to this?

#53 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I have DSL and it varies from slow to incredibly slow. It takes 15-18 hours to download 1 hour of HD content. This is on a hardwired connection to HR-34. I think my setup is fine and was pretty much the same with Dish. I'm trying to catch up on some series and would love to download in SD or some lower rez. I have never seen the box asking what resolution I would prefer. Anyone know how I can get to this?

What does your DSL connection test at?
A.K.A VOS

#54 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

What does your DSL connection test at?

Using the providers test it is .38 Mbps download and .13 Mbps upload, with a .55 ms ping. It varies, but that is probably near the top end. This is area wide in the nieghborhood with old lines out in the country. I pay for up to 1.5 download but that is just a dream. We are scheduled to be upgraded to fiber at some point but that might be a year or two away.

#55 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Using the providers test it is .38 Mbps download and .13 Mbps upload, with a .55 ms ping. It varies, but that is probably near the top end. This is area wide in the nieghborhood with old lines out in the country. I pay for up to 1.5 download but that is just a dream. We are scheduled to be upgraded to fiber at some point but that might be a year or two away.

You need about 6 Mb/s to even think about HD [at 1.5:1].
Some quick number crunching shows 1 hour of HD will take you about 18-23.6 hours at that speed. :eek2:
A.K.A VOS

#56 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

You need about 6 Mb/s to even think about HD [at 1.5:1].
Some quick number crunching shows 1 hour of HD will take you about 18-23.6 hours at that speed. :eek2:

It does work, but it takes way too long and slows everything else down in the process. That is why I would rather download in SD just to get caught up on things. The shows I am wanting to download the only option is HD. I haven't found an option yet to do otherwise.

#57 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

You meant:
"You seem to have a problem with punctuation marks!"

:D

I was gonna PM you and ask you to join this discussion. You're a better grammarian than I am. Personally, as long as I can understand a post, I really don't care about the grammar or abbreviations, which is what started this discussion.

Rich

#58 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

It does work, but it takes way too long and slows everything else down in the process. That is why I would rather download in SD just to get caught up on things. The shows I am wanting to download the only option is HD. I haven't found an option yet to do otherwise.

When you first enter VOD, you will see a list on the left. One of the options is HD. Don't click on that and you should see SD listings when you click on the other options. Not absolutely sure about this, but why else would the HD option be on the list?

Rich

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Just curious, how much does your Net connection cost a month?

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

I was gonna PM you and ask you to join this discussion. You're a better grammarian than I am. Personally, as long as I can understand a post, I really don't care about the grammar or abbreviations, which is what started this discussion.

Rich

There was absolutely nothing wrong with you ending that sentence with a period instead of the exclamation point I put in. Was just funnin', trying to lighten things up.

And thanks for the complement. Er, compliment....:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...