Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

on demand download speeds.

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

It does work, but it takes way too long and slows everything else down in the process. That is why I would rather download in SD just to get caught up on things. The shows I am wanting to download the only option is HD. I haven't found an option yet to do otherwise.

Boy this is a switch,

I wonder what episodic shows those are since the overwhelmingly chief complaint of VOD for those types of programs is not any or enough HD versions available.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Boy this is a switch,

I wonder what episodic shows those are since the overwhelmingly chief complaint of VOD for those types of programs is not any or enough HD versions available.

On Demand content from Viacom (Nick, MTV, VH1, etc), Scripps (HGTV, Food, DIY, etc) and A&E's networks (A&E, History, Lifetime, etc) are only available in HD now.

#63 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

When you first enter VOD, you will see a list on the left. One of the options is HD. Don't click on that and you should see SD listings when you click on the other options. Not absolutely sure about this, but why else would the HD option be on the list?

Rich

What you get by not clicking the HD option is a mix of programs in HD or SD, but not both for the same program.

The price I pay is bundled with voice and that is a little over $68.00. Before it was bundled it was $40 with a lower speed. The bundling gave me the higher speed for about the same price I was paying before for both, but of course I was already getting the highest it was going to get. I have to have the voice to get the dsl or I would drop the landline, so in truth it's costing close to 70 for just the dsl. That would get me close to getting satelite internet, just not sure about download limits as I am unlimited now.

#64 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,203 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

There was absolutely nothing wrong with you ending that sentence with a period instead of the exclamation point I put in. Was just funnin', trying to lighten things up.

And thanks for the complement. Er, compliment....:D

Was the argument I was talking about. I knew the period was correct. I should have used the "other" Rich's method of !!!. I know that ticks off many people... :lol:

Rich

#65 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,203 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

What you get by not clicking the HD option is a mix of programs in HD or SD, but not both for the same program.

Didn't know what would happen. Sorry.

The price I pay is bundled with voice and that is a little over $68.00. Before it was bundled it was $40 with a lower speed. The bundling gave me the higher speed for about the same price I was paying before for both, but of course I was already getting the highest it was going to get. I have to have the voice to get the dsl or I would drop the landline, so in truth it's costing close to 70 for just the dsl. That would get me close to getting satelite internet, just not sure about download limits as I am unlimited now.

Wow! That's expensive. I pay a bit over $75 for my ISP, Cablevision, but I do get more than 56 down.

Rich

#66 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,203 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Boy this is a switch,

I still know a lot of folks that only have SD sets. Puzzles me, some of them are quite wealthy.

Rich

#67 OFFLINE   CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

This is so annoying. By the time I get something to download I'm already doing something else or just not interested anymore.

#68 OFFLINE   vandergraff

vandergraff

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

I know this is an old topic - but I am seeing the same.

I have Comcast 25 Mbps download speed which tests at ~27 Mbps - confirmed by ShaperProbe (and long file downloads from iTunes to my AppleTV while looking at average download speed on my ASUS RT-N66U router).

When I try to view an on demand title I cannot watch in realtime and it takes a long time (hours) to complete the download of a 1 hour show.

I have no problems streaming Netflix 1080P or Vudu 3 bar HDX (which needs 8+ Mbps). Everything is connect wired.

My DVR is an HR20-100 withits somewhat unique connection to Deca.

Is it the HR20-100 that is limiting my download streaming connection. Does the HR20-100 support realtime streaming?

#69 OFFLINE   vandergraff

vandergraff

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

Given the lack of response I am assuming what I am seeing is normal......

#70 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

We have 75/35 Mbps FiOS service (ran the test results below as I was typing this) and we sometimes don't get the option to watch in realtime.  It may be a problem with the load on DirecTV's servers or traffic on the route to the data center, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  There are many factors besides the spped of you ISP connection.

2798780273.png

To give you an example, here is a test to a Charter server in Monterey Park, CA

2798794550.png

Meanwhile, just a few miles away, the server run by Race Communcations gave much better results:

2798802226.png

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#71 OFFLINE   vandergraff

vandergraff

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

Wow that is a big variation in reported speeds. Speedtest gives an idea of the instantaneous download - but I find ShaperProbe a much more reliable indication of true download speeds http://www.cc.gatech...haperprobe.html

Last night I downloaded the last 5 episodes of Game Of Thrones Season 3 from HBO on Demand - the 5 (approx 1 hour episodes) downloaded in 5.5 hours so not quite real time. 

The log from my router shows a pretty constant download speed between 10:30 PM and 4 AM of between 600 - 800 kBps (so ~ 4.8 - 6.4 Mbps). See the thumbnail below.

It looks like DirecTV is limiting the download speed. I understand the point about connection to DirecTV servers - but would hope they they try to connect to the most appropriate server......

Attached Thumbnails

• GameofThrones.jpg

#72 OFFLINE   gr8ful

gr8ful

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:18 AM

vendor 

Does anyone know if DirecTV uses CDN's (Content Delivery Netakaimworks) for the on demand content? Or is everything stored on servers in one location?

If no CDN's are used, latency will play a big factor in download speeds. I've watch the realtime bandwidth monitor on my router while downloading shows and it usually averages around 5 - 7 Mbps on my 20Mbps VDSL connection. Of course, I am in Hawaii so latency is a big issue for me.

Yes they do. I found they connect to a major CDN vendor, Akaimi (spelling?)

#73 OFFLINE   gr8ful

gr8ful

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:33 AM

I am sorry this topic has found no resolution. I have a 50 mega-bit-per-second cable connection that regularly tests at 30MBPS (Comcast blast).

Even in the middle of the night, when I allow only my DirecTV DVR through the internet, my downloads fail to keep with realtime (I always select highest quality).

I have the bandwidth, but DirecTV just is not delivering it. even though they use a CDN.

Getting downloads that do not allow fast forwarding adds additional aggravation.

If anyone has succeeded to improve DL speed I'd love to hear how!

Afraid it's the same sorry story. When you become a market leader, profit motivations exceed customer satisfaction. 

#74 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,638 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:32 AM

I am sorry this topic has found no resolution. I have a 50 mega-bit-per-second cable connection that regularly tests at 30MBPS (Comcast blast).

Even in the middle of the night, when I allow only my DirecTV DVR through the internet, my downloads fail to keep with realtime (I always select highest quality).

I have the bandwidth, but DirecTV just is not delivering it. even though they use a CDN.

Getting downloads that do not allow fast forwarding adds additional aggravation.

If anyone has succeeded to improve DL speed I'd love to hear how!

Afraid it's the same sorry story. When you become a market leader, profit motivations exceed customer satisfaction. 

As I posted in "the other thread", I haven't had much problem with VOD on an 11 Mb/s connection.

Some content has higher bit-rates than the 9 Mb/s that DirecTV seems to limit at, so "Watch Now" fails and I need to use the record option.

A.K.A VOS

#75 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,564 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

Then there are those of us out in the tules who can't get good d/l speeds. So it's pretty easy to set a few d/l's a bit in advance so one doesn't have to be subjected to the horrors—nay, the indignity—of waiting for throughput. Oh, the humanity, the shame,  the hardships one is subjected to in watching VOD.

• satcrazy likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#76 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:02 AM

Wow that is a big variation in reported speeds. Speedtest gives an idea of the instantaneous download - but I find ShaperProbe a much more reliable indication of true download speeds http://www.cc.gatech...haperprobe.html

Last night I downloaded the last 5 episodes of Game Of Thrones Season 3 from HBO on Demand - the 5 (approx 1 hour episodes) downloaded in 5.5 hours so not quite real time. 

The log from my router shows a pretty constant download speed between 10:30 PM and 4 AM of between 600 - 800 kBps (so ~ 4.8 - 6.4 Mbps). See the thumbnail below.

It looks like DirecTV is limiting the download speed. I understand the point about connection to DirecTV servers - but would hope they they try to connect to the most appropriate server......

I went to look at that program and it says it doesn't work on Windows 7!  I may download it later and put it on one of my two remaining XP machines.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

spam firewall