Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Series Link Limit - Is 100 enough?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: How many Genie SLs are in your Series Manager? (147 member(s) have cast votes)

How many Genie SLs are in your Series Manager?

1. 0-50 (45 votes [30.61%])

Percentage of vote: 30.61%

2. 50-75 (25 votes [17.01%])

Percentage of vote: 17.01%

3. 75-100 (17 votes [11.56%])

Percentage of vote: 11.56%

4. I wish I could add more than 100. (60 votes [40.82%])

Percentage of vote: 40.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

I put down 50-75 only because I just got my Genie and many programs are not yet in the cue because they are not yet being run on D* - i.e. Formula One. I know I was at my limit of 50 on my HR22 so I should surpass that with the HR34

Basement: H21-100 to 60" Sony SXRD

Family Room: HR34 Genie HDMI to 70" Slharp Elite (Feb 22nd, 2013)

Main Bedroom:  HR22-100  to 50" Panasonic Plasma

Loyal DirecTV customer since 1996

20140423_090700_zps7jf13ohp.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

My DVR has 38 series links, with space usually at least 50% available. I tend to delete after watching every recording.

My wife's DVR has 58 series links, and never deletes recordings, thus always 100% full.

The kids DVR is highly underutilized these days while away at school.

Would never combine multiple family members on a DVR due to different show desires, different storage needs, different Playlist management styles, and the possibility of accidental deletion. Multiple DVRs with MRV is awesome.

Edited by Sixto, 20 January 2013 - 11:17 AM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#23 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,724 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

With my Boolean Recordings, it is currently a tight fit, but now with the addition of FiA (Far in Advance) scheduling, I now must remove shows that go on hiatus.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#24 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,115 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

We have 40 Series Links on the Family Genie and this unit is typically around 50% full. This is mostly because the wife and I started watching NCIS and are catching up on the early years.
There is another 20 on the Kids Genie and that typically is around 75% full. We like to stock pile shows the littlest one likes and only tend to delete them as he gets away from them (I finally was able to delete over some 400+ Tom & Jerry's over the weekend).

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#25 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I hit 82 shows on the series list last week. This week I've shrunk that list a bit due to series finales. I'm sure there are probably 4 or 5 other shows that are outdated.

My wife's HR24 has 50 shows on its series list.

That combination works very well for our family and I don't forsee needing more than 100 shows on the Genie.

#26 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,724 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Not everyone like to delete series that go on hiatus for a couple of months or more. Which is the norm for non-major networks series shows.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#27 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

We had 239 on our two DirecTiVos. Had to really pare that down to get 150 combined on the 34 and 24. Now every time we want to add a show we have to pick some other show to cancel. Dumb really that a year 2000 DirecTV DVR has more capability than a year 2011 DirecTV DVR.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#28 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

3 DVR's and 125 Series Links.

(1) HR44/500

(1) HR24/500

(1) HR22/100

#29 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

I just deleted about 13 SL's for shows that are cancelled. Would be nice if they would auto delete. But then again, how would Genie know? Another wish list item I guess.

#30 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,558 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

I just deleted about 13 SL's for shows that are cancelled. Would be nice if they would auto delete. But then again, how would Genie know? Another wish list item I guess.

Genie could know if the Tribune had a flag for such an event. Then again, would you want auto cancels based on that? Probably not!!

Imagine the first time it caused a series to be deleted, and the next time it launches a new season...
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#31 OFFLINE   JimMariner

JimMariner

Just Another Ol'Salt

• DBSTalk Club
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

I am in the Greater than 100 group. I also have no wish for any kind of AUTO SL deleting either. I prefer to choose for myself what stays and what goes.
Where Ever You Go, There you Are !  B)

#32 OFFLINE   ghfiii

ghfiii

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Sorry but I have like 10 between my HR34 and Hr23.

Where and how can you find time to even watch 100 different series is my question.

And I would love to see someones list of 100, cause I can't think of more then a hand full or two worth recording in a year.

One person probably can't find the time, but...

The main selling points are whole home for the family and to make sure you never have conflicts

In our house we (wife and kids) don't watch the same shows and with seasons running in spring, summer, fall, winter on all the channels available you can run out of slots fast.

For a family it's easy to get over 100, very easy.

#33 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

We've never exceeded 50 Series Links here, so 100 would seem to be another level we'll never hit. We also delete 95% of recordings once viewed.

Assuming one would have 50 or 100 viable/active series links with corresponding added programming to view...the time required to view it all (in addition to live broadcast content) would greatly exceed the available time to see it all here....and we watch alot of TV. Over time, the backlog only grows.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#34 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Not that anyone has to justify their SLs but here is what I currently have. It’s of the top of my head so there are some things missing and doesn’t include anything from my daughter’s DVR.

Making this list also reminded there a couple that need to be removed. :grin:

There are 78 SLs in this list.

666 Park Avenue
Body of Proof
Castle
Last Resort
Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23
Grey's Anatomy
The Neighbors
Last Man Standing
Zero Hour
Once Upon a Time
Revenge
Scandal
General Hospital
Jeopardy
Elementary
The Big Bang Theory
Made in Jersey
Blue Bloods
Partners
Vegas
Amazing Race
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
The Good Wife
Hawaii Five-0
How I Met Your Mother
Mike & Molly
NCIS
NCIS: Los Angeles
Person of Interest
Two and a Half Men
The Following
Bones
The Mob Doctor
Fringe
Touch
People's Court
Alphas
Haven
Being Human
Warehouse 13
Continuum
Defiance
Lost Girl
Good Eats
Modern Marvels
Pawn Stars
American Restoration
Brad Meltzer's Decoded
How the States Got Their Shapes
The Universe
Psych
Suits
White Collar
Covert Affairs
Top Chef
Burn Notice
Royal Pains
Necessary Roughness
Falling Skies
Rizzoli & Isles
Dexter
True Blood
Homeland
Game of Thrones
Boardwalk Empire
Top Gear (UK)
Hell On Wheels
Walking Dead
Copper
Doctor Who
Build It Bigger
Dark Matters: Twisted But True
How It's Made
How Do They Do It?
Factory Made
How the Universe Works
Mythbusters
Understanding

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,432 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

We're currently around 75 SLs, including 4-5 shows for the grandkids, but we're empty-nesters, so just the two of us here. Hearing what my son and daughter are watching in their homes, if they were still living here, I'd probably need up to 125 SLs.
/steve

#36 OFFLINE   JimMariner

JimMariner

Just Another Ol'Salt

• DBSTalk Club
  • 798 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

There are 78 SLs in this list.

I ran out of SL space (Max 50) on my RV DVR (HR22-100), and this DVR is not set up for any of the big 5 networks. Since it is always on the go with me.

Mike, I can see I can visit at your place with no problem. Most of your shows are the same as the ones I record. So even if we don't talk, we can make man noises and Watch some Quaility tv. :P
Where Ever You Go, There you Are !  B)

#37 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

Assuming one would have 50 or 100 viable/active series links with corresponding added programming to view..

Why would you assume they need to be active? One of the main constraints of SL limits is the fact that you have to delete shows when the season ends and re-add them when they start back up.

You're also assuming it will all be viewed. I record several series each year (via SL) that I never end up watching for one reason or another (I watch the first episode and hate it, they build up and I find it's been canceled so I get rid of them, etc.), not to mention that my kids will never watch all of the shows they record, but I/they like having the option of selecting any of a number of kids shows to watch at any given time.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#38 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Why would you assume they need to be active? One of the main constraints of SL limits is the fact that you have to delete shows when the season ends and re-add them when they start back up.

Active as in programs still on the air.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#39 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

You're also assuming it will all be viewed. I record several series each year (via SL) that I never end up watching for one reason or another (I watch the first episode and hate it, they build up and I find it's been canceled so I get rid of them, etc.), not to mention that my kids will never watch all of the shows they record, but I/they like having the option of selecting any of a number of kids shows to watch at any given time.

We probably watch less than 10% of what we record. The reason for a DVR is to have a choice when nothing else is on live that appeals to you. Or to catch that one special program or guest that is on a talk show. The rest are just junk. We never ever watch live anyway because it is a time waster. A normal hour series program is only 37 minutes of what you want to watch. A football game can be seen in under fifteen minutes. We don't watch anything but the Stupor Bowl, and the gameplay is only fifteen minutes. Hours and hours of jabber and palaver in between along with commercials. In fact even the supposedly fantastic Stupor Bowl commercials have really gone downhill in the last few years. Now we don't even watch half of those.

Then there is the difference in viewing taste between my lovely wife and myself. I let her fill up anything she wants on series links and then try to squeeze in a few I like. We probably like about 20 shows in common. I have about 10 of my own and the other 130 are my lovely wifes choice.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#40 OFFLINE   OilItRight

OilItRight

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

I came across this thread as I am going to be getting a Genie tomorrow. After I ordered it occured to be to wonder how many Series Links were available. Naturally I couldn't find any 411 at directv.com so I bit the bullet and called directb. After the usual aggravation of voice response I got a semi literate person and tried my best to explain my question to her. After a while on ignore she came back and proudly announced that I could record 200 hours of HD programming. In my most patient I explained that wasn't the information I needed. And I again explained my query. A few more minutes on hold and she advised me that the number of series recordings was "unlimited".

Of course by this time I'd found this forum and the information that the limit is 100. So I said thank you and got off the phone. I then called back and had a brainstorm and told voice recognition I was interested in 'equipment upgrade'. Miracle of miracles I got someone who knew from the start exactly what I wanted to know and confirmed the 100 number.

I then paraphrased one of the thread posts from here and shared the logic that since 50 was too little for a single viewer then 100 for 4 viewers or 8 depending on how you count was definitely short of the mark.

So I asked her where the suggestion box for DirecTV could be found. She both offered to convey my suggestion to the proper technical group and suggested I also use the contact us link on directv.com which I did.

May I suggest if you have not done so previously you follow suit and let DirecTV know that the 100 limit is not enough.

spam firewall