Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The DIRECTV HD DVR - Year 6

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,359 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Lots of memories, hard to believe it's only been 6 years. The only thing I remember before HD DVRs is me saying "I'll never need on of those" :lol:

IIRC, I paid about $700 for my 30GB Phillips TiVo, back in 1999. The Sony Sat-T60s I bought for DirecTV were a relative bargain at about $500 each. My first couple of HR10's cost me about $1100 each with tax, at Circuit City! :eek2:

I think I paid about $3K for my 10 foot satellite dish and Channel Master IRD back in 1981. Later paid $1500 for a Video Cypher II:)
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,665 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

.... But 6 years later my HR20 records and plays back like a champ. :)

Mine is too.

It has been an interesting 6 years.

Nice job Scott as always.

#23 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

here is close analogy - cars
you can't just discuss max speed, sits and mirrors with fog protection ... it come to the engine, power, etc - technical info is not wasted info !

If DIRECTV can't manage to come anywhere close to wringing the last bit of performance out of the system, the point is largely moot. Besides, any future effort that goes into fixing bugs and adding features will surely reduce the performance significantly as it has consistently been the case in the past.

What other company's products get a vote of confidence because they don't scroll too fast?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#24 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

The first year with my HR20 was a rocky experience...too put it lightly. :nono:

The memories of having to be home to make sure the DVR actually recorded an important program somewhat defeated its purpose.... But 6 years later my HR20 records and plays back like a champ. :)

No doubt the HR20 stumbled out of the gate. The "Santa" and "Elvis" firmware upgrades early on went a long way toward righting the ship.

The realtionship that developed between the users experiencing issues and the developers correcting them thanks prmiarily to dbstalk.com was to my knowledge a first of its' kind.

The fact that this evolved into the CE program of today is a fine example of making lemons into lemonade. Even if the release of the HR20 was market driven and somewhat premature I think DirecTV should take some pride in how they have responded to and grown from it.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#25 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Directv has come a long long way as I remember paying $900 for my HD HR10-250.

I watched ESPN and HDNET all day long until 4:00 A.M.

Can't wait to see the HR44 Debuted as that should Knock the Ball right out of the Park!!! :lol:

Way To Go Directv and keep it coming!!! :hurah:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Wow a lot of great evolution in 6 years. Can't wait to see what the next 6 years brings!

Hoping for speed improvements changing channels and soft transitions between UI elements (like Comcast Xfinity X1, Apple iOS, Android, Windows Aero, Max OSX, etc...). Then maybe a user configurable mini-guide. Currently (and default) to 1 row, but I'd love to be able to adjust it to 2,3 or maybe even 4 rows max.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#27 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

At least for me, future enhancements may be moving away from the DVR, to external items outside the DVR, such as cloud management/backup and nomad enhancements. Similar to the PC/laptop world, where you get to the point where performance is fine for everyone. Speedy, 1TB, multiple MRV streams, PIP, I'm just about there, but cloud and sync features very important.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#28 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

We came over to DirecTV (from Dish Network) in 2001 specifically to get the DirecTiVo. We had 2 Series 1 units and eventually grew to have 5 Series 2 DirecTiVos. It was with great trepidation that we got our first HD DVR in 2008. By the time we came aboard most of the serious bugs had been worked out, but there still a few interesting anomalies. We did wish for a fully functional HD DirecTiVo at times.

Now, with 5 DirecTV HD DVRs (including a HR34) we'd never dream of switching back to the TiVo. DirecTV has done a great job of building on this product line. I look forward to what the next 6 years will bring.

I do wish they would add one feature from the TiVos - the ability to transfer recordings from one DVR to another. This would make upgrading easier, and enable customers to salvage recordings when a DVR shows signs of imminent failure. Of course, swappable external drives would be better, but DVR to DVR transfer would be a pretty good partial solution.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#29 OFFLINE   TMullenJr

TMullenJr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

My first DirecTV DVR was the UltimateTV. I still think that was a great interface.

#30 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

At least for me, future enhancements may be moving away from the DVR, to external items outside the DVR, such as cloud management/backup and nomad enhancements. Similar to the PC/laptop world, where you get to the point where performance is fine for everyone. Speedy, 1TB, multiple MRV streams, PIP, I'm just about there, but cloud and sync features very important.

I can agree with you there Sixto. I would love to be able to create a favorites list or make some settings adjustments ONE TIME and restore it to every set top box. Either do it via the web or any of the dvr's / clients in the home.

I changed my package and I had to go through and fine comb my favorites. First box I cleared it and then added "channels I get". Big mistake... Took forever. Channels I get was completely wrong. Second box I opened up my iPad to directv.com and compared channel differences and just manually unchecked the ones I no longer get.

Also, although you can set recordings on your DVR remotely (ipad, iPhone, web, etc..), you can't MANAGE them. I'd love to be able to rearrange series priorities, make modifications to them, cancel certain things, look at how much space is left all from the internet or mobile app.

Also if you have a DVR in your DECA network and say an H24 or H25 in another room with MRV authorized... those H24 or H25's should be able to fully utilize the DVR in your home and display VOD screens and stream them directly, or save them to the DVR on your DECA network.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#31 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Would love to have a decent DLNA client. ;)

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Is there any talk at all about allowing a sub to view any HDD recorded on any HR within an account? Also, is anyone thinking about changing the 2TB limit on any of the 2 tuner HRs?

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Is there any talk at all about allowing a sub to view any HDD recorded on any HR within an account? Also, is anyone thinking about changing the 2TB limit on any of the 2 tuner HRs?

Rich

Hmmm, thought someone tried that (>2TB) and it worked.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hmmm, thought someone tried that (>2TB) and it worked.

I try to read all the eSATA posts and I haven't seen any mention of that. I have 2TB drives in/on all 12 of my HRs. I'd have to buy a 3TB drive to try it. I don't really care about the limitation, my capacity far exceeds my needs. Just curious. Anything about the "within the account reading any HDD from any HR" thing?

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

So far I recall only HR34 [perhaps HR44] support > 2 TB per drive ... I have 3 TB to test on older model like HR21 ...

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

So far I recall only HR34 [perhaps HR44] support > 2 TB per drive ... I have 3 TB to test on older model like HR21 ...

Do hurry... :lol:

Rich

#37 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

DOING NOW !!! :) Perhaps need upgrade FW to latest version ...

EDIT: 0x5d2 doesn't support 3 TB, DL-ing 0x62c ...

EDIT2: Nope, no go; jinxed eSATA cable and DL 0x62c did stop at 52%; now trying DL a few times - cannot as no an announcement for it, DVR cannot find it without that. Damn !

EDIT3: Getting 062c after chasing it for whole hour ... ouch.

EDIT4: NO DISK or Disk not recognized (using Seagate Barracuda 3000 GB and BlacX on the HR22-100 guinea pig). Time to install it inside ...

EDIT5: Inside ... Error 14-793 :(

Edited by P Smith, 24 January 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

The only thing I remember before HD DVRs is me saying "I'll never need on of those" :lol:

Me too. Then, within a week of getting the HR10-250, I decided that I couldn't live without a DVR in my guest bedroom, where I watch TV while on a treadmill, so I ordered a second DVR.

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

One is down: HR22-100 with version 062c doesn't support Seagate ST3000DM001 internally nor external with BlacX.

#40 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Thanks Scott for bringing back so many memories. My first HR20-700 started with only one tuner activated, no OTA (yet), and a very buggy interface. D* dvrs sure have come a very long way since the " first " year. Makes ya wonder what the next 6 years will bring.
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

spam firewall