Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Running Joey output through Computer Tuner Card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kali

Kali

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I've been reading posts here for a couple of years, but have a question that I can't find a topic on. I just got a hopper and 2 joeys installed today. I have one Joey hooked up to my computer monitor. So far so good. However, I used run the Dish Network box through my old computer's tuner (via COAX) so that I could watch a PiP while I am working on the computer. In my new PC, I have a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 card with the following inputs: COAX, S-Video and a sound input (mini-rca?) First, the physical connection; can I use a composite to S-Video adapter to connect to the card? will that allow me to utilize the tuner to provide PiP capability while I am computing?
Thanks for all the good advice previously, and I am a newbie to posting, so please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.
By the way, I am not a techie, but someone who trys to keep up...
Thanks in advance - Kali

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,584 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

The Joey outputs are just HDMI or composite ... there is no RF output.

If you can get a converter to change the composite to something your computer can use you should be able to replicate what you have done before.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

and for better knowing HW of the new devoces, take a look here www.dishuser.org/hopper.php ; see pictures, descriptions, PDFs ...

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

A Joey only outputs one signal, you would need to hook two Joeys up to get PIP to work. If you hook up the Hopper to your computer, you can PIP from the receiver, but not the computer. Yes a composite to s-video adaptor should work.

#5 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

or...if you have a home network, you could use a Sling Adapter to watch on your PC.

#6 OFFLINE   Kali

Kali

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to hook up the hardware using the Joey composite with adapter to s-video. I'll let you know how it works. I just had an idea that I may have problems with the software. I'll let you know - trying is how I learn.

I do have a sling adapter, so I may be forced to go that route.

Kali

#7 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Remember S Video will only be video, no audio.

#8 OFFLINE   Kali

Kali

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

So I got everything working with WinTV 7, Hauppauge’s TV program. It took a while since I had to order the Composite to S-Video bi-directional adapter.

Here’s what I did:
Attached a Composite to S-Video bi-directional adapter on the Joey, attached the S-Video Cable and ran it to the computer PCI card. Attached a 3.5 mm Stereo RCA Y-Cable Adapter to the red and white Composite outputs on the Joey and ran the 3.5mm stereo cable to the card.

Since I knew I was getting SD not HD, I also replaced the VGA cable output from the video card to a HDMI and hooked that up to the monitor. Might as well get the best SD I can.

The WinTV software has a (semi) scalable screen so that gives me, a “PnP effect” on the monitor.

Voila!

Again, thanks for the info.

spam firewall