Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

would you trade?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

If D* would marry external drives to an account but by doing so would delete the current recordings on your drives(s), would you be willing to do that?
I'm assuming that might be the price we would have to pay if account rather than device accessibility ever came about.
As for me, I would hope we would get an option to convert one drive at a time.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Yep, I'd do it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Yes, but I don't understand the appeal to DIRECTV in putting in that caveat. They'll do it or they won't, but I can't see how this scenario would tip the scales in favor of doing it. Can you please elaborate?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

perhaps, that known example of implemented method by dish based on encryption during transfer to EHD; that's means you can use any key from any source
while DTV has _system_ disk where is event's encryption using unique key [RID ?] belong to the DVR only
imagine switching to account's key ... all your events must be decoded and re-encoded ... how long it will take ? it would be easy do start from scratch and drop all customer's recordings during that implementation

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Thank you. That makes sense in that it's easier to implement.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

DirecTV could support both ways…. That would allow new recordings to by encrypted with the users account number while still being able to decrypt old recordings using the receiver’s id.

That’s not to say they WILL do this… I seriously doubt they are all that interested in changing how they encrypt the recordings. Sure we would benefit but unless they start losing subs because of it they won’t spend a dime to change it…

I’d also be worried – as in be careful what you wish for! The switch to the HDGUI really did nothing for the day-to-day use of the DVRs but it sure screwed them up for quite some time. My HR24s are still not as fast as they were before the HDGUI. I’d think that DirecTV management should/would be more afraid of the problems that would be introduced more than they should/would be afraid of losing a sub or two because of the stupid decision made 7 or 8 years ago…

#7 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

If D* would marry external drives to an account but by doing so would delete the current recordings on your drives(s)...

Exactly how Dish does it and is required by DRM - no duplicate copies of a recording allowed for HD programming.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Exactly how Dish does it and is required by DRM - no duplicate copies of a recording allowed for HD programming.

OMG!! So any of us that may have recorded the same show on two DVRs are in danger of being jailed by the MPAA?? ;):nono: :D

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

If D* would marry external drives to an account but by doing so would delete the current recordings on your drives(s), would you be willing to do that?

If it were possible, I'd attempt to replace my DVR's one at a time. I'd shift as many Series Links off of 1 DVR as possible, make an effort to watch everything that's in that DVR and then swap it. Then, once I swap out that DVR, I'd do the same with DVR's 2 & 3.

#10 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

perhaps, that known example of implemented method by dish based on encryption during transfer to EHD; that's means you can use any key from any source
while DTV has _system_ disk where is event's encryption using unique key [RID ?] belong to the DVR only
imagine switching to account's key ... all your events must be decoded and re-encoded ... how long it will take ? it would be easy do start from scratch and drop all customer's recordings during that implementation

Yes, those were my thoughts, that there would have to be a firmware update that would not be compatible with the old machine based key for reading the external drive files. As i said in my original post, I would hope we could change each dvr separately, so we could watch existing recordings before switching.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

just to avoid confusion in terminology: external drive in DTV world is system drive, totally substitute internal, so only one drive is exist for DTV DVRs, so the words "internal or external" for a matter of the topic is irrelevant

Protected By... spam firewall...And...