Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need to unplug HR21 to power on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Having a reoccuring problem that I need to unplug power to get my HR21 box to power on. I suppose this is a sign that the end is near for my DVR? Or is the Hard drive dying?
It works for about a week and then again with the power plug.
Should I just order a new HR24 or try a new hard drive for awhile?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,272 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

What do you mean that it won't power on? When you press the Power button on the front panel, the DVR just doesn't come out of standby?

If the issue is a hard drive issue, you can try connecting an eSATA drive to see if the issue persists. If the DVR does need to be replaced, DirecTV will replace it at no cost (plus $19.95 for shipping if you don't have the Protection Plan).

Just be aware that if you are leasing the HR21, it is against the Lease Addendum to open the DVR and replace the hard drive.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, it doesn't respond to the power button or the remote. After I unplug it is usually works normally for another week or so. Just has a random waking from standby problem.
I may try an esata drive. If I can find my esata adapter.
It sure would be nice if they turned on the USB port to hard drives.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Have you turned off the Power Saver in the Menu settings ?
If no, I would do that to see if it helps any.
Menu, Settings, Power Saving and set it to OFF.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Have been having same issue w my HR24 with external drive. Won't "wake", have to unplug to power up. Weird.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#6 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Ah in my case: loose esata cable.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#7 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 496 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Having a reoccuring problem that I need to unplug power to get my HR21 box to power on. I suppose this is a sign that the end is near for my DVR? Or is the Hard drive dying?
It works for about a week and then again with the power plug.
Should I just order a new HR24 or try a new hard drive for awhile?

This is what we saw before our 21 just died. My wife watches the tv that it was connected to and she kept telling me that several times a week she was having to unplug and plug it back in to get it to work. This went on for a while till one day I went to watch something on that set and for the first time ever I saw the message that it found some hundreds of disk errors that it was trying to correct. A day later those hundreds turned into 50,000+ and just froze on that. So I think you should be prepared. You could run the disk diagnostics, see what's reported and maybe get DTV to replace it if significant issues are reported.

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Before waiting for it to die completely, why not test the hard drive?

To do this, restart the DVR and when the message "running receiver diagnostic" or something similar appears quickly press SELECT on the remote. You will get a diagnostic menu that lets you test all aspects of the unit.

If the diagnostic says the hard drive is in trouble, you can try reformatting it from that menu choice. On the HR21, this option tries to not erase any settings or recorded shows unlike on some other DVR's so don't worry about losing anything.

Be aware that these tests sometimes take several hours so do this when you are not planning on watching a show for awhile.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...