Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Epix to Directv?

• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

If DTV adds it , it certainly won't be for free. Probably at least $5 a month, maybe $10. It's easier just to subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#402 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Not only have they expanded the content, but they improved the user-end experience and the delivery. You wouldn't be aware of that as a Dish sub of course.

That's a completely nebulous answer. What do you mean by expanded the content? More starting times? Big deal. More movies, that's Epix! How have they improved the "user-end experience"? What EXACTLY is the "user-end experience"? What do you mean by improving the delivery? It sounds like they have done the same thing that Epix has.

#403 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

Not only have they expanded the content, but they improved the user-end experience and the delivery. You wouldn't be aware of that as a Dish sub of course.

Directv Cinema is a complicated, confusing mess. I am aware of that because I am a Directv sub.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#404 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

That's a completely nebulous answer. What do you mean by expanded the content? More starting times? Big deal. More movies, that's Epix! How have they improved the "user-end experience"? What EXACTLY is the "user-end experience"? What do you mean by improving the delivery? It sounds like they have done the same thing that Epix has.

Well I'm here to defend Hoosier now...you have to remember HE'S JUST GIVING HIS OPINION...nothing more...something he is certainly entitled to, as are you.

Sandra

#405 ONLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

only if the bosses of DirecTV read this topic and know how much this its a heated debate

I don't think five people arguing over the value of a channel will override the analysis directv relies on.

There are at least ten people on this board arguing in favor of the PAC 12 network, and we still do not have it :lol:

#406 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Directv Cinema is a complicated, confusing mess. I am aware of that because I am a Directv sub.

No it isn't. Not at all.
DTV = Digital Television

#407 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

No it isn't. Not at all.

All I can tell you is that the non-tech people in my house will not use it because the layout is a confusing mess.

They will gladly use AppleTV, Vudu, Netflix and Amazon. Directv Cinema - they won't touch.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#408 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

All I can tell you is that the non-tech people in my house will not use it because the layout is a confusing mess.

They will gladly use AppleTV, Vudu, Netflix and Amazon. Directv Cinema - they won't touch.

This is something that is TOTALLY subjective. What's confusing for one person is not confusing for the next person. It's just a matter of opinion. ;)

Sandra

#409 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

This is something that is TOTALLY subjective. What's confusing for one person is not confusing for the next person. It's just a matter of opinion. ;)

Sandra

No kidding, really? Any reason you directed that at me instead of Hoosier205?

#410 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

No kidding, really?

I don't find dirctv's interface confusing. I find it slow. So I tend to use the iPad since it isn't slow.

I have yet to find an on demand or streaming interface that I like. Funny. I think amazon on roku and Sony Blu ray to be quite a pain. But at least fast.

A big part of not plug pulling for me is that finding stuff is difficult no matter what the on demand system is.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#411 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

No kidding, really? Any reason you directed that at me instead of Hoosier205?

Not directing that at anyone in particular, just making a general observation. I know Hoosier likes to state his opinion as fact, and the truth is everyone's experience with this type of thing is just that...THEIR opinion...and nothing more.

Sandra

#412 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I don't find dirctv's interface confusing. I find it slow. So I tend to use the iPad since it isn't slow.

I have yet to find an on demand or streaming interface that I like. Funny. I think amazon on roku and Sony Blu ray to be quite a pain. But at least fast.

A big part of not plug pulling for me is that finding stuff is difficult no matter what the on demand system is.

You are tech savy. For a non-techie it is a mess.

Some movies are pre-loaded, some are not. Some movies can be found using one menu, some cannot. Movies have the ability to "watch now" on some DVRs but not others. Some movies allow for fast download, some do not. Some movies have a 24 hour rental period, some have 48 - can't tell which is which because it isn't listed.

Trying to find new movies? Takes 30 seconds for the DVR to pull them up. PPV are mixed in with free movies, have to sift through a list of hundreds of movies.

That is just off the top of my head.

#413 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Some movies are pre-loaded, some are not. Some movies can be found using one menu, some cannot. Movies have the ability to "watch now" on some DVRs but not others. Some movies allow for fast download, some do not. Some movies have a 24 hour rental period, some have 48 - can't tell which is which because it isn't listed.

Trying to find new movies? Takes 30 seconds for the DVR to pull them up. PPV are mixed in with free movies, have to sift through a list of hundreds of movies.

As for the rental periods, I know it does tell you if you order a cinema movei via text or online. (I use to order online, now I just do it via text). Do wish channel 1000 had a search option, but I don't do On Demand (no CCK), just Cinema, so.

#414 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Nothing to do with tech savvy. Just the way people see things. I have big issues with graphic boxes. Prefer lists. Amazon et al drive me nuts because there is no logical order by title, date, etc.

Some of what you wrote is under the hood. Use play on latest software and it just plays.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#415 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

As for the rental periods, I know it does tell you if you order a cinema movei via text or online. (I use to order online, now I just do it via text). Do wish channel 1000 had a search option, but I don't do On Demand (no CCK), just Cinema, so.

Online is the only place it tells you. I've posted about this before. It is stupid because the 48 hour rental is a good selling point for Directv. Generally, Directv is more expensive than Vudu or Apple, but generally, the window is longer. You'd never know it because unless you cross-reference online, they don't tell you.

#416 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Online is the only place it tells you. I've posted about this before. It is stupid because the 48 hour rental is a good selling point for Directv. Generally, Directv is more expensive than Vudu or Apple, but generally, the window is longer. You'd never know it because unless you cross-reference online, they don't tell you.

Um, your are wrong. I order via text when I order. The last text message response you get tells you how long the rental period is. And btw, i'm not saying the On Demand/Cinema can't use improvements. Anything can be improved. Was just posting my own personal experiences, with the Cinema at least. I don't have my internet hooked up to my recievers, so don't order via remote, and probably still wouldn't even if I did, as remote orders don't go to all recievers. Everything I order is shown on the 100's channel range.

Edited by HinterXGames, 08 February 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#417 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Um, your are wrong. I order via text when I order. The last text message response you get tells you how long the rental period is. And btw, i'm not saying the On Demand/Cinema can't use improvements. Anything can be improved. Was just posting my own personal experiences, with the Cinema at least. I don't have my internet hooked up to my recievers, so don't order via remote, and probably still wouldn't even if I did, as remote orders don't go to all recievers. Everything I order is shown on the 100's channel range.

This is not that hard. I am not talking about text messages, phone messages, ordering via computer or ordering via the Ipad. I am talking about ordering PPV through the guide - which was the point of the discussion. The guide does not give you the information on the window. The ENTIRE point was that you have to cross reference something else to give you basic, important information about your purchase, before you purchase.

#418 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,407 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

The HD presentation is 37 channels or less if space is needed for sports.
I suppose with multiple start times the "or less" does not hurt as much.

With the way DirecTV removes and restores PPVs each year (not just temporarily for sports feeds) I don't see it as a top priority. Remove six PPV channels in 2009 then add three by the end of the year. Remove one channel in 2010 then add 13. Remove 11 channels in 2011 ... restore 7 in 2013. If DirecTV were doing that with any other category of channel people would be angry.

#419 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

direcTV should add Epix to the HD Extra Pack and stop people from adding it for free then canceling it then add it back on for free, and move that package to $15

#420 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

This is not that hard. I am not talking about text messages, phone messages, ordering via computer or ordering via the Ipad. I am talking about ordering PPV through the guide - which was the point of the discussion. The guide does not give you the information on the window. The ENTIRE point was that you have to cross reference something else to give you basic, important information about your purchase, before you purchase.

If ordered with the remote on a DVR(standard or HD): up to 48 hours(24 hours plus the number of hours until the next 6:00am local time)

If ordered with the remote on a non-DVR(standard or HD): 37-62 hours(37 hours plus the number of hours until the next 7:00pm local time)

If ordered via website, mobile app, text message, or automated phone system: titles will expire in 24, 48, or 72 hours(you are given the start/end time for the rental)

The rental time period is based on agreements made between D* and various film studios.

Last part may be outdated but...

If ordered from on demand: rental is from 24 hours from the time you begin watching it(deletes itself and no charges apply if the rental is never started)
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#421 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

direcTV should add Epix to the HD Extra Pack and stop people from adding it for free then canceling it then add it back on for free, and move that package to $15

Nooooooooo I like getting it free every 3 months, I go in cancel and then re subscribed. I do not want to pay please don't give them any ideas like that.

#422 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

If ordered with the remote on a DVR(standard or HD): up to 48 hours(24 hours plus the number of hours until the next 6:00am local time)

If ordered with the remote on a non-DVR(standard or HD): 37-62 hours(37 hours plus the number of hours until the next 7:00pm local time)

If ordered via website, mobile app, text message, or automated phone system: titles will expire in 24, 48, or 72 hours(you are given the start/end time for the rental)

The rental time period is based on agreements made between D* and various film studios.

Last part may be outdated but...

If ordered from on demand: rental is from 24 hours from the time you begin watching it(deletes itself and no charges apply if the rental is never started)

I rest my case on being a complicated mess.

#423 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Nooooooooo I like getting it free every 3 months, I go in cancel and then re subscribed. I do not want to pay please don't give them any ideas like that.

play nice, and i will do what ever it take to get Epix right now

Protected By... spam firewall...And...