Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Epix to Directv?

• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

LOL!!!

You can't make this stuff up...

Sandra

No, you can't. Anything to add to the topic? I didn't think so.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

This thread concerns the possibility of the Epix Movie Channels (Epix 1, 2, 3 and Drive In) coming to DirecTV. Please keep your conversation on the topic at hand Please do not level attacks against another poster. If teh conversation cannot remain within these parameters, the moderator will shut this thread down.

#23 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

I think Epix (1, 2, 3 and Drive In) would be good additions to DirecTV. Epix (1, 2 and 3) has shown dirt run movies before going to DVD and live concerts. Drive compliments channels like Chiller and Showtime Beyond, for those who like science fiction/horror genre.

Even though there are options like NetFlix, it seems that Epix, unlike HBO, Showtime, Movie Channel, Cinemax, Starz and Encore, seems to have more variety on their scheduling of movies. Of course, this could have changed since September when I moved from DISH,

I would think Epix would improve the HD Extra pack with its possible addition, if at all.

#24 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I think Epix (1, 2, 3 and Drive In) would be good additions to DirecTV. Epix (1, 2 and 3) has shown dirt run movies before going to DVD and live concerts. Drive compliments channels like Chiller and Showtime Beyond, for those who like science fiction/horror genre.

Even though there are options like NetFlix, it seems that Epix, unlike HBO, Showtime, Movie Channel, Cinemax, Starz and Encore, seems to have more variety on their scheduling of movies. Of course, this could have changed since September when I moved from DISH,

I would think Epix would improve the HD Extra pack with its possible addition, if at all.

The primary draw towards these types of premiums is no longer their movies, but their original content. Epix has none. All of their efforts to produce any have been abandoned. Their VP of original programming even resigned.
DTV = Digital Television

#25 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I would like to see DirecTV add Epix. The more HD, the better!

Sandra

#26 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

The primary draw towards these types of premiums is no longer their movies, but their original content. Epix has none. All of their efforts to produce any have been abandoned. Their VP of original programming even resigned.

Pretty true, but Epix has movies that the others don't get and they are doing some boxing shows also.

Frankly Epix is as good or better than Starz imo.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#27 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,026 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I have had epix on roku for 4 months now and I can still watch it to this very day

OK so how much is it then, Since Epix website clearly states a provider subscription is required.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#28 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I would like to see DirecTV add Epix. The more HD, the better!

Sandra

Agree, Options are nice, and not just ones geared toward Sports packs all the time.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#29 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Pretty true, but Epix has movies that the others don't get and they are doing some boxing shows also.

Frankly Epix is as good or better than Starz imo.

Services like Netflix, Amazon and VuDu may well be the death of the premium channels as we know them today. If you take the money it costs to subcribe to a couple of premiums services today, over the period of a year, and how many movies you actually watch on them, and compare that to what it would cost you to watch the same movies via an online service, I think you'd be surprised at the results.

With services like VuDu delivering 1080p and multichannel audio (assuming you have the bandwidth available) the premium channel multiplexes are a lot less compelling.

As Hoosier notes, this is why they are doing original programming - it is the only way to maintain their value.

Clearly, Epix has SOME value - to movie fans, nearly any movie channel has value. But when negotiating carriage on a service, the service provider (i.e. DirecTV) has to calculate if their investment (in bandwidth, head-end and uplink resources, billing, customer support) and the direct costs for the channel can be recouped with dividends from viewers. That calculation is just a whole lot less compelling for Epix than for some of the competeing channels on DirecTV's plate.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

May be so, but Epix is the blockbuster movie channel. They have a lot of the really big movies and that is a draw. Not as much as they think it is (and evidently DirecTV thinks it is not as much as Viacom thinks it is or it would be on) but there is a draw.

It started out pretty weakly but has grown and I am glad I have access to it. I would prefer DirecTV to have it (as it would probably cost me less).

Edit: Or what Diana said above me. :)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#31 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

I couldn't care less about movies. I have HBO and Showtime for the live boxing, something not available legally (or at high quality) anywhere on any internet service. I want EPIX for the boxing.

HBO, Showtime and Starz survive now simply off their original programming not so much movies anymore. Cinemax is getting a bigger push for original programming.

#32 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I haven't paid a dime for it

#33 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

Services like Netflix, Amazon and VuDu may well be the death of the premium channels as we know them today. If you take the money it costs to subcribe to a couple of premiums services today, over the period of a year, and how many movies you actually watch on them, and compare that to what it would cost you to watch the same movies via an online service, I think you'd be surprised at the results.

With services like VuDu delivering 1080p and multichannel audio (assuming you have the bandwidth available) the premium channel multiplexes are a lot less compelling.

As Hoosier notes, this is why they are doing original programming - it is the only way to maintain their value.

Clearly, Epix has SOME value - to movie fans, nearly any movie channel has value. But when negotiating carriage on a service, the service provider (i.e. DirecTV) has to calculate if their investment (in bandwidth, head-end and uplink resources, billing, customer support) and the direct costs for the channel can be recouped with dividends from viewers. That calculation is just a whole lot less compelling for Epix than for some of the competeing channels on DirecTV's plate.

Then there's the caps that the ISP's are putting on your ability to download movies, especially HD, over the internet. The internet services also stream the movies, so if you want to watch it a second time, you have to download it again rather than just pull it up off your DVR.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#34 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

Then there's the caps that the ISP's are putting on your ability to download movies, especially HD, over the internet. The internet services also stream the movies, so if you want to watch it a second time, you have to download it again rather than just pull it up off your DVR.

Passthepopcorn then?

Fios currently has no caps. It's pretty nice.

#35 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

I haven't paid a dime for it

OK so you've already stated, So what provider do you have your EPIX service with?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#36 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Streaming is still not a panacea. I do have Netflix, but for example I tried to watch Fringe and its unavailable. Then I tried Haven and its unavailable.

#37 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Sure, depends on where you live. Here in suburban NJ we live in the first town in the state that Verizon cabled for FiOS. We recently upgraded to FiOS Quantum with 75Mbps downloads and no caps. I realize that in many places, streaming is not as attractive an option.

But the fact remains that DirecTV looks at the bigger picture. If they have room for 12 new channels (to pick a number out of thin air), does it make sense to use a third of that capacity for Epix? Will that get them more new subscribers than, say, TWC SportsNet?

Streaming is still not a panacea. I do have Netflix, but for example I tried to watch Fringe and its unavailable. Then I tried Haven and its unavailable.

Well, I was talking about movies, not TV shows. A lot of that is based on the content provider (Fox and SyFy in this case). The latest episodes of Fringe and Haven are available on Hulu Plus.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#38 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

The latest episodes are no good if you haven't watched the first.

#39 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Sorry to say, that's all Fox and SyFy have made available. On the bright side, the earlier episodes from this season will be rerun and you can record/watch them then. Fringe is also being rebroadcast in HD on the Science channel. They have been running them in sequence from the start of season 1 on Tuesday nights, but they are all repeated frequently during the week.

Current setup:

#40 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Well, I was talking about movies, not TV shows.

Your argument of movie channels versus streaming the movies is a sound one by costing alone but I watch more movies than I normally would because of subscription services such as HBO, Starz!, Epix or even Netflix or Amazon Prime than I would if I picked and chose. I am loathe to pull the trigger on a PPV and probably would not watch movies that way if I did not have the premium channels. (I would save even more, but that is beside the point.)

As for streaming, I have yet to see a stream that fully satisfies my quality standards but I do not do Vudu or some other services although I have done Amazon Prime and I just don't see the same quality as a linear channel or even a "free" on demand and nowhere near Blu Ray.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall