Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Epix to Directv?

• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#381 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

One could make the same argument in regard to DIRECTV Cinema

No, actually you cannot. They have improved that product significantly. Not that you would know...
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#382 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

I am one of those people that subscribed to the "free trial" of Epix via my Roku and have never had the trial expire. I have to say that if the selection available through the online stream is a reflection of the channel itself I can definitely live without it. Out of all the movies and specials available I didn't find one that prompted anyone in my family to say "Gee, I'd like to see that."

As a film fan, I personally feel that there is no such thing as a worthless movie channel. However, given a choice between Epix and some of the other channels DirecTV needs to add, I can see why Epix is not a priority.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Have access to Epix via (ISP) and Roku Trial that has never expired.

I wouldn't be offended if Epix was offered by DTV but I can think of a multitude of channels that would be better options than Epix for me singularly and DirecTV in General.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#383 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Um , thats a 14 day trial only, you have to subscribe to Epix through a provider in order to maintain Epix service Via Streaming beyond that.

Epix Streaming is no different then HBO or Max GO as far as the rules and subscription.

by the way Amazon has the EPIX rights as of September 2012, Not Netflix

I'm a little late to the game but I just want to point out, this is NOT the case here. I have Charter for Internet(and phone) only and they have an agreement with Epix that gives us a full subscription to Epix streaming for just being a Charter internet subscriber only. I do not have to be subscribed to the Epix Premium channel.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#384 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

One could make the same argument in regard to DIRECTV Cinema and we know that DIRECTV spends a considerable amount of their bandwidth budget on playing the same movies over and over again (up to five times at once). Denzel Washington's Flight is currently playing on five HD and two SD channels.

Just want to point out the channels all have different start times on the showings, which is good for someone like me who doesn't have On Demand. More options on when I can watch a showing of the movie, instead of waiting 2 hours if there was only one channel showing it.

#385 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

No, actually you cannot. They have improved that product significantly. Not that you would know...

Really, how? And wouldn't ANY answer you give be just your opinion?

#386 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

+1

Sandra

#387 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Well, they did at least get extended rental periods. Now it's 24, 48 or 72, whereas before it was only 24. I've found most seem to be 48. It's made it a bit easier for me personally having the longer rental periods.

#388 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hoosier only states facts. He is a fact dropping machine. If you question anything he says you are just questioning the truth. I thought we've already went over this?

#389 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'm a little late to the game but I just want to point out, this is NOT the case here. I have Charter for Internet(and phone) only and they have an agreement with Epix that gives us a full subscription to Epix streaming for just being a Charter internet subscriber only. I do not have to be subscribed to the Epix Premium channel.

That's cool. I am not so lucky. Blue Ridge cable doesn't even offer epix yet. Last I heard its in talks. So maybe with just having their Internet I may get epix.

#390 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I still want epix.
And thanks Harsh for the nfl facts as well as some direction in the conferece calls that everyone claimed they listened to but obviously didn't.

And thanks Justin for the pm. too bad your status is just as I thought underquailified. If I need my HBO dropped Ill give you a call.:rolleyes:

#391 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

i guess your as big as movie fan as you says, this is not attack on you but Epix got like "The Hunger Games" "True Grit" and "The Dictator" and other movies that alot of people would like to see. so that why Epix is high priority

Let's not forget "Hot Tub Time Machine" a while back:D Seriously, not trying to be a smart ass, I really wanted to see it!, EPIX had it. I finally saw the movie on Comedy Central...

#392 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

And thanks Justin for the pm. too bad your status is just as I thought underquailified. If I need my HBO dropped Ill give you a call.:rolleyes:

I am very qualified...

#393 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

I still want epix.
And thanks Harsh for the nfl facts as well as some direction in the conferece calls that everyone claimed they listened to but obviously didn't.

You listened to one call. One.
DTV = Digital Television

#394 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

You listened to one call. One.

Shows what you know.

#395 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

This ignore feature may just work.;)

#396 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

The movie I missed most because of it being on Epix only was Star Trek. Obviously, given their affiliation with their founding studios, there are other movies that won't show up on HBO/CineMax/Showtime/TMC etc. until the 2nd or 3rd round--many years later.

I don't know any details, but obviously it would seem that perceived value differs between DIRECTV and Epix. Until those are closer, DIRECTV likely won't carry it. Bummer. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#397 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

only if the bosses of DirecTV read this topic and know how much this its a heated debate

#398 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

only if the bosses of DirecTV read this topic and know how much this its a heated debate

I don't think five people arguing over the value of a channel will override the analysis directv relies on.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#399 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

In what ways did they improve DIRECTV Cinema?

More starting times of the same movies for those without DVRs?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#400 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

In what ways did they improve DIRECTV Cinema?

More starting times of the same movies for those without DVRs?

Not only have they expanded the content, but they improved the user-end experience and the delivery. You wouldn't be aware of that as a Dish sub of course.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...