Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Epix to Directv?

• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Does Epix focus mainy on new movies or older movies like Encore? Someone had said Epix doesn't have original series, so not sure about it, as the series are the main reason I watch Premiums.

Epix is more than one channel. Among them all they cover it all. Main channel newer blockbusters, 2 a bit older and 3 is considered the drive in.

Their streaming library is huge and includes lots of old horror movies as sell as classics and newer stuff.

Was a weak outlet when it started. Now pretty solid.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Does Epix focus mainy on new movies or older movies like Encore? Someone had said Epix doesn't have original series, so not sure about it, as the series are the main reason I watch Premiums.

They have abandoned all efforts at producing original content. The VP they had hired to head it up resigned as well.
DTV = Digital Television

#63 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Epix is producing a live boxing event scheduled for March 16th. This event is an Epix exclusive in the US.

#64 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

They have abandoned all efforts at producing original content. The VP they had hired to head it up resigned as well.

Who gives a crap, Most of the other networks original series suck anyway.

I can count about 3 that are worth even spending a dime on.

#65 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

For you perhaps, but there are alot of people who 'give a crap' and get the premiums for original series. I have Dexter & The Borgia's on Showtime, Boardwalk, GoT, and Newsroom on HBO & Spartacus on Starz.

#66 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

For you perhaps, but there are alot of people who 'give a crap' and get the premiums for original series. I have Dexter & The Borgia's on Showtime, Boardwalk, GoT, and Newsroom on HBO & Spartacus on Starz.

Good for you and since they are not on Epix, why does it matter?

It doesn't !

How many of your original series are even on the top 100 most watched list?

#67 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

In your opinion maybe. The masses disagree.
DTV = Digital Television

#68 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Yes, he did. But Epix has other things that make it a 'want to have' set of channels.

Blockbuster movies for one, boxing that doesn't show up on other channels for another. Overall Epix has come along nicely.

At some point they'll have some original programming and like all the other premium movies channels, some will be excellent, some will be ho hum and some will suck.

I switched from D* to E* recently because of no Epix and Reelz in HD. Don't regret the switch at all.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#69 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Yes, he did. But Epix has other things that make it a 'want to have' set of channels.

Blockbuster movies for one, boxing that doesn't show up on other channels for another. Overall Epix has come along nicely.

At some point they'll have some original programming and like all the other premium movies channels, some will be excellent, some will be ho hum and some will suck.

I switched from D* to E* recently because of no Epix and Reelz in HD. Don't regret the switch at all.

It wasn't a he. The driving force behind premiums is now the original content. Epix does have some boxing, but the prime events are elsewhere. They are far behind in viewers however and they haven't really grown much. I can certainly understand people wanting it, but more than that I can understand where it lacks value to a provider to add.
DTV = Digital Television

#70 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

It wasn't a he. The driving force behind premiums is now the original content. Epix does have some boxing, but the prime events are elsewhere. They are far behind in viewers however and they haven't really grown much. I can certainly understand people wanting it, but more than that I can understand where it lacks value to a provider to add.

Doesn't matter if it is a he, she or it! :)

The boxing they offer is usually European fights that don't show up elsewhere which I find really nice. I just wish they did it more often.

Bringing a new premium channel up is a daunting task. Epix has done a damned good job imo, but the momentum and the big bucks are behind HBO/Sho with some left over for Starz. Note I'm leaving off the names of the sub channels that are owned and operated by the 3 big ones.

Compared to Cinemax, Epix has more value to a provider imo, and probably would have more penetration if it wasn't for the HBO coattails. Note that it wasn't all that long ago when Cinemax was most often referred to as 'skinemax' since they had no real definition of what they were beyond that. Now that they have added a couple of very good original series they are starting to come out of that. Basically becoming an extension of the HBO brand.

Epix should be on most providers now as they are getting the blockbuster movies first and exclusive. But as I've said in the past, it should be an add to the HDExtra pack or as a stand-alone Premium (or both) for Direct. Nothing that has been said here has changed my position.

Lloyd

#71 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Good for you and since they are not on Epix, why does it matter?

It doesn't !

How many of your original series are even on the top 100 most watched list?

Not sure what is up with your attitude. I wasn't attacking Epix. I simply asked about their original series/if they had them, because original series are the driving force of what /I/ look for in a premium, in relation to that, it does matter.
--
My other was simply a response to your statement that while original series may not be that driving force for you, there are alot of other people it is.

#72 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Epix should be on most providers now as they are getting the blockbuster movies first and exclusive.

Well, we can see that it isn't happening and movies are no longer the driving force behind premiums.
DTV = Digital Television

#73 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

It appears that Epix is going to take a different tack to get more distribution:
http://thenextweb.co...d-vita-in-2013/

So far, the details are vague, but it appears that it will and is on some streaming devices as a pay service. Good move for them and for IPTV too.

Lloyd

#74 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

I can certainly understand people wanting it, but more than that I can understand where it lacks value to a provider to add.

The only reason you even care is because Directv doesn't have it, and you feel you have to make up some excuse on why they are smarted for not having EPIX.

That it. Just another excuse to try and defend directv.

Again over nothing!

#75 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

In your opinion maybe. The masses disagree.

Prove it!

#76 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

--
My other was simply a response to your statement that while[B] original series may not be that driving force for you, there are alot of other people it is.

Not when the channel makes no such claim other than blockbuster movies.

#77 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

The only reason you even care is because Directv doesn't have it, and you feel you have to make up some excuse on why they are smarted for not having EPIX.

That it. Just another excuse to try and defend directv.

Again over nothing!

I've haven't been a fan of the Network since it was was first created. Before anyone was announced as a carrier. I've been consistent in my comments about it all along. DirecTV isn't getting "smarted" for it either. It has very low viewership compared to other premiums.
DTV = Digital Television

#78 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

Not when the channel makes no such claim other than blockbuster movies.

I've never seen/heard of Epix prior to the Viacom issue. Hence, why I was asking about it. You should try toning down your attitude when someone is simply asking questions about the type of programming a channel may/may not have.

#79 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Prove it!

Just look at the viewers and/or critical acclaim being drawn towards the original programming.

The Newsroom
Veep
Girls
Life's Too Short
Enlightened
Game of Thrones
Boardwalk Empire
Treme
Eastbound & Down
True Blood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
24/7 Series
Real Time with Bill Maher
Hard Knocks Series
Boxing After Dark
Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel
HBO World Championship Boxing
Strike Back
Transporter: The Series
Hunted
Banshee
Spartacus
Magic City
Dexter
Shameless
The Borgias
Homeland
Californication
Nurse Jackie
The Big C
Episodes
Web Therapy
House of Lies
Showtime Championship Boxing
ShoBox: The New Generation
Inside the NFL
ShoMMA
The Franchise
Jim Rome on Showtime

Those are just the currently airing programs.
DTV = Digital Television

#80 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

I've haven't been a fan of the Network since it was was first created. Before anyone was announced as a carrier. I've been consistent in my comments about it all along. DirecTV isn't getting "smarted" for it either. It has very low viewership compared to other premiums.

OK based on the fact that Epix is only 3 years old, and not 30 like the rest of the premiums, also not carried yet by every provider while the others are.
That tends to keep the numbers down. That common sence.

You don't need to pay a premium for an original series, every network and their mother have plenty each. And all of these non premiums series rank way higher the most of the premium channel Garbage.

HBO has about 3 worth anything, The rest nothing IMO

To have a movie channel with nothing but movies is a rare breed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...