Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV is EVIL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
262 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

so it takes 8 pages to decide that the OP was mistaken.....couple of times even?
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Other than having bad email addresses, I don't think we know that.

We know that DirecTV had a customer who was not happy and has reportedly cancelled his account.

(also, using pages as a reference is meaningless. I have my preferences set differently than yours: your post is the first one on page six when I view the thread.)

#203 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

so it takes 8 pages to decide that the OP was mistaken.....couple of times even?

+10000000000

#204 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I love how all the die hard DTV fanatics will defend them to no end. Like DTV will never try and pull a fast one over on you hoping you will not notice. MANY DTV customers have had these sorts of problems. I know I have. Whether it be intentional or unintentional, they will screw you if you don't keep up with it. Some of you need to step off your high horse and chill.

#205 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Considering that it is factual...no. They did not declare themselves that, the American Customer Satisfaction Index did.

If you chop the classification finely enough, even Charter could be at the top of the charts. As it is, DISH has beat DIRECTV for two years in a row in the ACSI rankings (and FIOS beat DISH). The latest rankings came out in early December 2012.

For their part, even DISH has an asterisk that magically removes FIOS from consideration as not being a "conventional" satellite or cable provider (even though FIOS is an entirely conventional cable provider right down to using QAM and Motorola DVRs).

IIRC, DIRECTV can only claim superiority based on a JD Power regional ranking as opposed to the ACSI rankings. They have deviously chosen to not mention all the qualifications that it took to get them that "award". It is a sin of omission.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#206 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I love how all the die hard DTV fanatics will defend them to no end. Like DTV will never try and pull a fast one over on you hoping you will not notice. MANY DTV customers have had these sorts of problems. I know I have. Whether it be intentional or unintentional, they will screw you if you don't keep up with it. Some of you need to step off your high horse and chill.

+infinity

I'm torn between widespread corporate incompetence and an intentional effort to obfuscate as much as possible. With obfuscation they can take advantage of consumers that fail to focus on the details or refuse to spend the time and effort to protect their rights. On the other hand, too much obfuscation has got to cost them a hell of a lot of money in terms of customer service. I suspect the current situation pays more than it costs. Regardless of intent, that explains everything.

DTV is far from special - many companies are like this. My internet (cable) company is the same. I only see these kinds of things with companies that are in pseudo-monopoly position. When I have an alternative I don't deal with companies that behave like pond scum.

I honestly don't think DTV is smart enough for this to be an intentional effort so I guess I'd vote for incompetence. The fact that it pays seals the deal.

What is really wrong with all of this is that consumers don't have viable alternatives. In my location (metro Minneapolis) I have exactly 3 choices for "broadcast TV with lots of channels": DTV, Dish, Mediacom. So if I want this kind of service I have to pick what sucks the least. None of these providers have any incentive to significantly outperform the others.

#207 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Not true. I've been a DirecTV customer for 18 years and have never experienced them trying them to pull a fast one as you claim. And while I'm a loyal, satisfied customer I have posted some of DirecTV's shortcomings since being a member of this site. The most recent being post # 53 on the
"What I'd Like To See In 2013 From DirecTV" thread. And while I'll agree that some people here need to get off their high horse people like you need to speak for yourself and not for others. :rolleyes:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#208 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Actually, I am talking to Case Management about an Issue I have been having and they call me almost once a day to see if my Issue has been Resolved.

It has Not Been Resolved so they are Escalating it to an even Higher Level so it will be Interesting to see what happens.

there actually isn't a higher level - they just access NET and Broadcast for additional support.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#209 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

so true.
directv is no saint.far from it :nono:

#210 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

They make mistakes. When they are brought to the company's attention, they fix them.

#211 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

+1

#212 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Discuss the topic and not each other. If you have a problem with someone's post take it to PM or report it.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#213 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

They make mistakes. When they are brought to the company's attention, they fix them.

If you look around, you'll find that many of these mistakes are recurring problems suggesting that the problem hasn't really been fixed. See more at CIG.

Sometimes the issue is with contract installers. Sometimes it is with contract marketers. Other times it is with inside installers or sales. In any case, people don't always understand the facts and it is up to DIRECTV to make sure everyone is on the same up-to-date page (which may not be accurately reflected on their website)..

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#214 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

If you look around, you'll find that many of these mistakes are recurring problems suggesting that the problem hasn't really been fixed. See more at CIG.

Sometimes the issue is with contract installers. Sometimes it is with contract marketers. Other times it is with inside installers or sales. In any case, people don't always understand the facts and it is up to DIRECTV to make sure everyone is on the same up-to-date page (which may not be accurately reflected on their website)..

Show me a company that delievers service to the public that does not have these issues, there is not one company in existance that does nt get bad mouthed on the anonymous method of communications medium that is called the internet and forums. Even your provider of choice is bad mouthed and called useless on these forums

#215 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Show me a company that delievers service to the public that does not have these issues, there is not one company in existance that does nt get bad mouthed on the anonymous method of communications medium that is called the internet and forums. Even your provider of choice is bad mouthed and called useless on these forums

I agree, although there have been instances where it seemed to be a systemic problem. I'm referring to the improper extension or renewal of commitments that went on for much longer than it should have. It does seem that the issue has been fixed for the most part. Another example is when rvu was rolled out many of the csrs were telling callers that you had to have a Samsung tv in order to get the HR34. I informed the office of the president about the problem about a year ago. I was told that it had been addressed, but it continued for many months after that.

#216 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

It's not an easy problem to fix, misinformation. I've reminded some staff of some things, and still find they give the wrong info, and that's less than 10 people.

#217 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

I agree, although there have been instances where it seemed to be a systemic problem. I'm referring to the improper extension or renewal of commitments that went on for much longer than it should have. It does seem that the issue has been fixed for the most part. Another example is when rvu was rolled out many of the csrs were telling callers that you had to have a Samsung tv in order to get the HR34. I informed the office of the president about the problem about a year ago. I was told that it had been addressed, but it continued for many months after that.

Take into account turn-over in a CSR quad, if you look at the statistics that are available all companies that run dedicated help desks in non-tech related industries are high - I would rate driectv in a non-tech industry for end user support as compared to Oracle, and companies likeas such.

Adequete training in low tech support roles is important, but it is also very hard when the turn over rate is that high, you get one group trained and maybe two months later 70 percent of the trained group is gone. Used to manage a wired carrier help desk center, we had about a 40 percent turn over rate of call center employees per year and we where one of the lower ones. The person that was trained "about a year ago" when you asked probably has been gone from that position for 2 months

#218 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Im sorry you had this much trouble :(

#219 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Take into account turn-over in a CSR quad, if you look at the statistics that are available all companies that run dedicated help desks in non-tech related industries are high - I would rate driectv in a non-tech industry for end user support as compared to Oracle, and companies likeas such.

Adequete training in low tech support roles is important, but it is also very hard when the turn over rate is that high, you get one group trained and maybe two months later 70 percent of the trained group is gone. Used to manage a wired carrier help desk center, we had about a 40 percent turn over rate of call center employees per year and we where one of the lower ones. The person that was trained "about a year ago" when you asked probably has been gone from that position for 2 months

That's all true, but it doesn't mean it's okay to give out wrong information for months on end or erroneously extend commitments nor does it account for why it's happening.

#220 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

That's all true, but it doesn't mean it's okay to give out wrong information for months on end or erroneously extend commitments nor does it account for why it's happening.

Commitments do not get "erroneously" extended.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...