Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV is EVIL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
262 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

Smells like a troll but I could be wrong

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   JJJBBB

JJJBBB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

awful, wow.
NATIONAL HD... I want it all, I want it now. I've been really patient. (Will dance for more HD :stickman:)

#63 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

When I see posters using Anger and Evil in their posts - they lose all credibility. Then add in it being their first post ever (a mega-vent), and one has to question things even further.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#64 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

As Ms. Collins always said, "It's just TV"

#65 OFFLINE   Weller

Weller

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

If the Office of the President gets involved they will pull the call and verify that the offer made was not misrepresented. I believe all sales calls are kept, as well as the secondary verification that occurs when an upgrade offer is placed. Not only does the caller speak with the person who placed the order, they go to a 3rd party who verifies - on that call - what the account holder agreed to, and what they are getting.
The current offer on a mover's upgrade (and the one likely given the poster) is 3 months of comped advanced services + 3 months free premium channels. DirecTV does not, and have not had, locked in 2 year rates. Section 1D of the customer service agreement states specifically that they may change rates at any time based on various external pressures.
My opinion is that it is a regrettable miscommunication, and options may exist for the op if Ms Filipiak gets involved, but I strongly suspect that once the calls are pulled, the accuracy of the original order will be verified.

Not true! When I signed up in Dec 2011 my package price was guaranteed for 2 years, regardless of price increases. I have a credit on my bill for the amount of the increase. I sympathise with this guy as I had similar issues with AT&T uverse, hence I switched to DirecTV. I cannot understand the loyalty some of you guys show to these big companies sometimes. There is few things more frustrating than finally getting though to a CSR that helps and says its all sorted only for it to return because they are so big that it seems that the left hand doesn't know with the right hand is doing. Then you have to go through it all again, getting passed from person to person. Very frustrating!!

#66 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

If you want people to read your Posts you should keep them Short and Concise.

I have had great luck and service from emailing ellen.filipiak@directv.com. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#67 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

If you want people to read your Posts you should keep them Short and Concise.

I have had great luck and service from emailing ellen.filipiak@directv.com. :D

Short and concise would be preferable but we will always try to help/discuss regardless. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#68 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Bounceback's on every email address
Recipient address: ellen.filpiak@directv.com
Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
Diagnostic code: smtp;550 5.4.1 ellen.filpiak@directv.com:

Spelled it wrong.

ellen.filipiak@directv.com

#69 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Short and concise would be preferable but we will always try to help/discuss regardless. :)
Mike

Well, if it is a Long and Winded Oration it will tend to have a lot of people Ignore it as they don't have all day to read long posts so if you want sympathy and you want people to see your point of view, try to Keep It Simple Stupid, the KISS Principle!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#70 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Thank you. :)

As far as the OP's issue goes, we can all speculate about what he or she did or didn't do, or what was or wasn't fully explained, or what was or wasn't promised, but none of us were on the calls so we don't know anything definitively.

I'm sorry the OP feels so strongly negative about DirecTV. He or she has taken the appropriate action by terminating a business relationship with the company. I hope they find greater staisfaction with their new TV provider.

But remember, it IS only TV. :)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#71 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I love how you automatically side with the corporate giant and assume that I am clearly wrong in what I agreed to.

Having been around a while and watched DIRECTV's progression of offers over the last several years, I don't remember any true "price lock" offerings. DISH has done one or two in the last four years.

Perhaps you could share some evidence that you had more than their typical guaranteed savings promotions? Giving a fixed discount (what DIRECTV typically does) is not the same thing as a price freeze.

What specific calendar date did you sign up? Perhaps we can use the Wayback machine to figure out what the specifics of the offer were absent more authoritative evidence.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#72 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

But remember, it IS only TV. :)

It stops being about TV and starts being an adversarial relationship when on party pulls a stunt on the other.

Everyone needs to know what to look out for (very much like keeping careful records of tracking numbers on equipment you return).

There's also something to be said for how DIRECTV educates their CSRs and how much (or how little) confidence can be placed on what they say.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#73 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 418 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Not true! When I signed up in Dec 2011 my package price was guaranteed for 2 years, regardless of price increases. I have a credit on my bill for the amount of the increase. I sympathise with this guy as I had similar issues with AT&T uverse, hence I switched to DirecTV. I cannot understand the loyalty some of you guys show to these big companies sometimes. There is few things more frustrating than finally getting though to a CSR that helps and says its all sorted only for it to return because they are so big that it seems that the left hand doesn't know with the right hand is doing. Then you have to go through it all again, getting passed from person to person. Very frustrating!!

It happens all the time, not just with DirecTV (check out some Apple message boards). Many people are emotionally attached to their provider for some strange reason. It's almost as if DirecTV is their friend or family and they need to be "protected" from disparaging comments.

Not sure I would call DirecTV evil, but Tivo on the other hand..... ;)

#74 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

There's also something to be said for how DIRECTV educates their CSRs and how much (or how little) confidence can be placed on what they say.

Says the Dish Network customer.
DTV = Digital Television

#75 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Did the OP say how long he was gone from D*? It's possible tht he wasn't entitled to two year promos and that's why his rebates were not processed. If that's the case, who ever signed him up messed up. It's hard to know what really happened because the OP does not explain too many things. I'm wondering if he's checked his statements to see if there are any additional charges such as premium channels,.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#76 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

It stops being about TV and starts being an adversarial relationship when on party pulls a stunt on the other.

Everyone needs to know what to look out for (very much like keeping careful records of tracking numbers on equipment you return).

There is also something to be said about maintaining one's perspective. We recently had the unfortunate experience of someone that we had employed as a housekeeper for 16 years stealing approximately $1500 from us. At the same time, she stole an equivalent amount of money from a friend of ours, for whom she also works. Our friend got emotional and exclaimed "How could she do this to me?" The truth is she didn't do this "to" anyone...she simply needed money and chose to take it where she could. We are sad that a person we have known for so long and trusted felt she couldn't ask us for help, but such is life.

Likewise, the OP has had an unfortunate experience with DirecTV. Out of the tens of millions of customers DirecTV has had over the years, such stories are exceedingly rare (as they are for Dish Network). Going on a crusade against a company online is quixotic at best. It never pays to become emotionally involved in a business transaction.

As far as placing trust in what a CSR says, a simple rule of business applies to ANY representative of ANY company: "Verbal agreements are not worth the paper they are printed upon." :)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#77 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

See this is what I don't get from all of you. DirecTV agrees with me. They see the notes in my account. They realize I have an issue with the account. They admit that there is an issue with their system. They attempt to rectify the situation. The next month the same situation arises again. Their billing system is having issues. I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND 2 HOURS ON THE PHONE EACH MONTH TO FIX THE ISSUE. I have spoken with 3 different account mangers not front line support. All of them state that they see the credits that should have been applied and are not being correctly applied. All of them agree that I should have a lower bill. At what point do I as a consumer get to say enough is enough. Evidently never according to each and every one of you. I should just keep bending over and taking it. I am being penalized because they do not care enough to fix the issues with their system. All they have to do is honor their agreement. Fix the system and I would happily stay a customer. They do have the best digital signal out there. They can all see the notes in the account. EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU WOULD DO THE EXACT SAME THING I AM DOING. It is always easy to respond the way each and everyone of you have when it is someone else's money. You automatically assume that I am wrong and corporations can do no evil.

No. Those account managers were seeing the credits that were applied by past supervisors you spoke to. Not the ones that would be applied by the system, they were likely being removed by the system automatically because you didnt deserve them.
Thats why the agents kept telling you after the "x" amount of credit your account could no longer be credited again, because you topped out your accounts on credits and the system would cut you off. Promotional credits from when you sign up dont do this, retention/loyalty credits do. I.e. Credits that are placed on accounts when a customer complains to much.

You're leaving out many details that most other customers wouldnt pick up on, but any current and former employee of D* (heck even E*) would pick up on this immediately..

I dont usually agree with hoosier but he's right about you never being promised a 2 year price lock in. That does not exist.

#78 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

I once said that to a customer whom I thought was muted on my end...
Things didnt go well after that:lol:

#79 OFFLINE   ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Not to add fuel to the fire, but it is true that corporations can do no evil by definition. Corporations have no physical existence of themselves beyond paper (or electronic) documents. The only person or thing that has the moral ability to do evil is a man (or woman). So it would be more accurate to place the blame on the persons who lend their mental and physical capacities to the offices of the corporations who are ostensibly doing evil.

#80 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I dont usually agree with hoosier but he's right about you never being promised a 2 year price lock in. That does not exist.

At one point, it sounded like a one year price guarantee, then a set discount on the second year. That is one I've seen.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...