Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Deleted items off HD-DVR

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mastrauckas

mastrauckas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

My son deleted one of my games off the DVR before I had a chance to capture it and was wondering can you recover deleted items? I know it's a long shot but I figure I'd find out for sure.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ttodd1

ttodd1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

no

#3 OFFLINE   mastrauckas

mastrauckas

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

no

That is what I thought. Thanks anyhow.

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 8,872 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

I accidentally deleted an entire folder once, with no way to recover I am much more careful now.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#5 OFFLINE   mastrauckas

mastrauckas

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I accidentally deleted an entire folder once, with no way to recover I am much more careful now.

It would be nice if Direct TV at some point had some type of file recovery system. At least files that haven't been overwritten.

Or maybe even having the ability to make it where some files can't be deleted without an extra step.

Anyway, thanks for everyones help.

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Seems like the old HR10-250s could do that.

Don't suppose there are too many of those left in the world.

#7 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Funny how I have things pop up from time to time that I had deleted. A few weeks ago I had a Phillies/Nats game reappear. This has happened with several sports contests over the years. Strange.

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

#8 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Since there is a dwindling about of programming that they can access, I dough it.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#9 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,077 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

My son deleted one of my games off the DVR before I had a chance to capture it and was wondering can you recover deleted items? I know it's a long shot but I figure I'd find out for sure.

What model DVR are you discussing? The old TIVOs had an option you could recover deleted shows. Not sure if the new TIVO has that ability.

#10 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

What model DVR are you discussing? The old TIVOs had an option you could recover deleted shows. Not sure if the new TIVO has that ability.

I think we're generally talking Directv DVRs here.

It's really too bad they don't have a limited time trash can system (that will auto dump deleted items that are, say one week old). As one poster mentioned (and I've done that with great pain), deleting an entire folder is all too easy and can represent a long term compilation that means a lot. A folder can look like a single show and is fairly easy to mistake when deleting.

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

We have asked for a Trash Bucket in the past in our DBSTALK WishList where we could Retrieve Deleted Recordings but Directv has ignored our wants and needs in this regard. :nono2:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,295 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

dish recently improved DVR usability and added "Deleted Events" folder; now you can recover accidentally deleted show; perhaps it's time for DTV to catch up?

#13 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

dish recently improved DVR usability and added "Deleted Events" folder; now you can recover accidentally deleted show; perhaps it's time for DTV to catch up?

Well, I am going to switch to Dish!!! :lol:

I have been wanting this Feature since I accidentally Deleted a Folder because of the Lagging Response Time of my HR23-700. :nono2:
Here's My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

FiOS DVR's have an undelete function. There's a list of many deleted shows that I supposedly can recover but I suspect some of the older ones may not work. It did work for an accidentally deleted show that I recovered immediately.:D
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#15 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

The Old HR10-250s Could Not Undelete a Recording that had been Deleted!!! :nono2:

I have asked for that Option for years and years but it just falls on Deaf Ears.

I have 2 of them in my Closet in Perfect Condition if anyone is interested!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

They did add that feature to the 250s with the last software upgrade but it was after most people had already stopped using them. I kept one around for a while just for SD programs and really liked being able to undelete. It kept a folder for all of the deleted programs that could fit on whatever amount of free disk space that was available and the oldest one would drop off as space was needed for new recordings. It wasn't just to correct mistakes, sometimes I would change my mind about watching something, or want to go back and check something in the program.

#17 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

The THR22 has a "deleted items" slot on the "now playing" list that will allow you to restore deleted programs. One of the few advantages :(
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#18 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

You would think if DVR's from other companies have a delete items folder to undelete shows, DirecTV would too as they claim they have the greatest equipment out of any other provider. But then again this is a company that can't figure out how to make hd dvrs that can pick up wireless internet without the assistance of a add on kit....

#19 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

You would think if DVR's from other companies have a delete items folder to undelete shows, DirecTV would too as they claim they have the greatest equipment out of any other provider. But then again this is a company that can't figure out how to make hd dvrs that can pick up wireless internet without the assistance of a add on kit....

The HR44 has Wireless Capabilities built in.

They probably think that only a very very small population would use it so it is on the back burner as far as Priorities are concerned.

But when Dish or some other competitor comes out with something Directv normally follows suit as they all keep an eye on the Competition so perhaps we will get it one day. :D
Here's My Setup

spam firewall