Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Internet Help - Lost connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

I downloaded a couple of VOD titles a few days ago but now on three of my receivers (I haven't checked the rest) it now gives me an error and says I'm not connected to the Internet.

I have a SWM16 system and DECA and a separate Broadband Deca box hardwired into an Ethernet switch and then into my router. I checked my HR34 and two of my HR22s and they all show being networked but not connected to the Internet.

I have them all setup with static IP address and I can ping them all from my computer. Any ideas why I can ping them but they aren't connected? Trouble with DirecTV or my Broadband Deca box?

I have Whole Home which is working fine.

UPDATE: It appears the VOD programs are starting to download on my HR34 but when I go to "Repeat Network Setup" it still says I'm not connected to the Internet.

Edited by MrLatte, 20 January 2013 - 03:25 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,729 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

There is a test during reboot and also when you look into (sat info (first item on setup menu) and run the test) which takes several minutes typically "reconnects" the machines.

It seems that the firmware operation uses a flag set by an acknowledgement back from the DTV mothership usually set during boot, network set up, or this test. If this flag is not set you are considered not connected to the internet even though you might actually be.

If that doesn't work you may need to set them up (network wise)as though for the first time again. Check the first three numbers on it's IP. While most routers will show a 192. the DECA uses a 169 (IIRC) and there are situations where this defaults back to this and you will need to reset to get to your proper range.

Don "as good as DECA is, it needs to maintain a dual identity made difficult but the myriads of user network equipment" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,982 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

The 169 address is self-assigned by the device when a DHCP response (which should come from the router) is not received.

#4 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,729 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

So here I am day off, brain off, and still managed to learn something;)

Seriously, thanks for that nugget.

Don " time to up my meds:)" Bolton

The 169 address is self-assigned by the device when a DHCP response (which should come from the router) is not received.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

169.254.xxx.xxx is the APIPA (Automatic Private IP Adressing) that all networking devices can use when they don't get their DHCP address assigned before the default timeout. Most devices will keep trying to get a DHCP address and quietly get back to business as usual if possible.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

169.254.xxx.xxx is the APIPA (Automatic Private IP Adressing) that all networking devices can use when they don't get their DHCP address assigned before the default timeout. Most devices will keep trying to get a DHCP address and quietly get back to business as usual if possible.

Perfectly said.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...