Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MRV question (w/ 2 HR24s)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I have an HR24-200 and I have to replace an HR22-100 (bad HDD) and am interested in MRV. I have internet connected to the HR24-200 via ethernet and am replacing the HR22-100 with a new HR24-xxx. I have 2 HD TVs to use in this setup and a 5LNB Slimline dish (4 coaxial outputs).

I believe I need:
1. 8 channel single wire multi-switch (w/ one or more RG-6 runs from the dish LNB to the SWM);
2. single RG-6 coax run between each HR24 and the SWM;
3. 1x4 SWM splitter;
4. DECA Broadband Router Package (to connect internet to the system)

(if I wanted to not hookup the internet to this system at this point, I could just leave out the DECA broadband package and keep my ethernet connection plugged into my one HR24 to use DoD to the one IRD.)

From what I can tell, my cost would be $150:

SWM-8 w/ PS $139.99
http://www.solidsign...tiswitches&sku=

1x4 splitter $9.99
http://www.solidsign...ku=185463000832

I just called D* and was quoted $329 to install a SWM and set me up for MRV. WOW! No freakin' way I'm paying that! I'll install it myself!

I am basing my setup using this diagram: http://www.weaknees....8-2dvr-deca.jpg

So is the setup in the above diagram and my parts list in the original post correct?

Thanks.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

If you check out Ebay you can even lower the cost more- If you do it yourself it not require a visit to your roof :)

You will need to activate MRV on your account if it's not already - If it is remember to remove the Cat5 cablels fro the HR24 if you use the cck it will run over the swm network (rg6)

The HR24 has an internal DECA- so none are needed. Remeber to power off your HR24 receivers and unhook the cat 5 cable and reboot them one at a time after you finish installing the swm8
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

If you check out Ebay you can even lower the cost more- If you do it yourself it not require a visit to your roof :)

You will need to activate MRV on your account if it's not already - If it is remember to remove the Cat5 cablels fro the HR24 if you use the cck it will run over the swm network (rg6)

No need to go to my roof because my dish is installed on the side of my home just above ground level. So the diagram shown in my OP will work, so I'll only need the SWM and the 1x4 splitter (and DECA broadband package if I were to do internet, too)?
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yes, The SWM8 uses the 4 down leads coming in now.

Check ebay and use paypal and you can save a lot. look at the listing and remember you don't need DECA's with the HR24. Only the CCK to your swm splitter & cat5 from it to your router.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#5 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Yes, The SWM8 uses the 4 down leads coming in now.

Check ebay and use paypal and you can save a lot. look at the listing and remember you don't need DECA's with the HR24. Only the CCK to your swm splitter & cat5 from it to your router.

What's CCK?

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Broadband DECA or CINEMA™ Connection Kit
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Thanks.. I was looking at the details for the SWM-8 on Solid Signal's website and it doesn't list the HR24 as a compatible IRD but is it just because the info and video were made before the HR24 existed?

#8 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Without looking at it I would say Yes.

HR or HD 20-21-22-23-24 -HR34 HR-44 all are swm compatible

HR20 or HD -21-22-23 Need Deca's attached
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

spam firewall