Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Custom home build. What do I need to have run to dish?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Building a custom home and will have my home integration installer run all the necessary lines to the location where I want the dish.

Question is.....how many lines do I need to have run?

System will be as follows:
(1) HR34
(1) HR24
(4-6) H24's

Install will have ALL lines run into an A/V room that will be the central distribution of video to each room. I'd like the D* installer to only have to install the dish and run NO LINES.

TIA!
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Since you have >8 tuners then you'll need four lines run from the dish.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

My guess was 4 but very glad to see that confirmed. I really appreciate your reply!
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Run at least 4 for Directv and 0ne more for OTA if your are able to receive any other OTA signal local you can add then to your HDDVR's receivers with a AM21 but that requires a independent RG6 from the receiver to the AM21.

Total of 5 RG6
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#5 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Would I need that if I already get all the locals? Not sure I follow.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Would I need that if I already get all the locals? Not sure I follow.

If you use a Roof attach Attn. or Rabbit ears you need a AM21 to combine those signals into your HDDVR Menu.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

That would be a negative. So only 4 lines it is. Thanks for the explanation.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#8 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,199 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

The benefit of having OTA is the ability to have digital sub-channels (ME-TV, Antenna TV, This TV, RTV, & Bounce to name just a few) which are not offered through DirecTV as well as having a back-up feed for the 'core' channels.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#9 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

OTA backup is a good idea during snow and heavy rain. Had about an inch of snow here last week and lost sat signal - really surprised me how little it took. And that is with the dish properly aimed - 98-100s on most transponders. Swept it off with a broom and all was well.

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Building a custom home and will have my home integration installer run all the necessary lines to the location where I want the dish.

Question is.....how many lines do I need to have run?

System will be as follows:
(1) HR34
(1) HR24
(4-6) H24's

Install will have ALL lines run into an A/V room that will be the central distribution of video to each room. I'd like the D* installer to only have to install the dish and run NO LINES.

TIA!

I would recommend that you run six (6) lines, especially if you won't have easy access to replace them down the road. Maybe you'll want to add some other kind of antenna, or cable, or another dish. Maybe a line will get damaged. Running the cable now is relatively cheap; trying to do it after the build is going to be difficult, expensive, or ugly.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Running the cable now is relatively cheap; trying to do it after the build is going to be difficult, expensive, or ugly.

And probably all three.

If you haven't already planned on it, you might be best served putting multiple outlets in each room. About once a quarter, my wife has to move all the furniture. And having an exposed coax running from one outlet to another wall is not an option. Good luck.

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,009 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Where on the outside of your house are you planning to put the dish (have the coax run to)? Are you certain the dish can be mounted there? Multiple considerations including line of sight, access to the location by the installer (they normally won't go on a roof away from the ladder location), ability to properly ground the coax and dish, etc.

I totally agree with running at least two extra coax. Or as an option, run conduit through which you can easily pull 4 to 6 coax.

#13 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I would recommend that you run six (6) lines, especially if you won't have easy access to replace them down the road. Maybe you'll want to add some other kind of antenna, or cable, or another dish. Maybe a line will get damaged. Running the cable now is relatively cheap; trying to do it after the build is going to be difficult, expensive, or ugly.

And probably all three.

If you haven't already planned on it, you might be best served putting multiple outlets in each room. About once a quarter, my wife has to move all the furniture. And having an exposed coax running from one outlet to another wall is not an option. Good luck.

:righton:

Building a custom home and skimping on coax runs is just silly.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#14 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Where on the outside of your house are you planning to put the dish (have the coax run to)? Are you certain the dish can be mounted there? Multiple considerations including line of sight, access to the location by the installer (they normally won't go on a roof away from the ladder location), ability to properly ground the coax and dish, etc.

I totally agree with running at least two extra coax. Or as an option, run conduit through which you can easily pull 4 to 6 coax.

Line of sight isn't an issue and location should be fine. The only issue I could encounter is the installer being afraid of heights or not wanting to install so high up. Pole mount in the yard isn't going to be an option. Hidden on back of house on top of a level is where it will be. Period. What should I provide for ground? I want this to be as painless an install as possible for the installer. Mount and align dish and go.

I've got about $3K worth of cabling being run so I'm not skimping :lol:

I have redundancy on top of redundancy as well as future hookups.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#15 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Good for you to think about this and ask before it's too late.

I have worked for a couple that have built 2 new homes (about 7 years apart) and neglected a prewire on BOTH. IANMTU.

And note, they built the second one AFTER I strung wires all over the outside of their first one.

Even worse, they were in a metro area, and the local cable outfit would have done a basic prewire for FREE

I also encourage drop ceiling in basements, some times people listens, and somes times they don't.

LOL!

#16 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

This is a good idea, but i'd go a step or two further...

Just a thought... the system will run off of a SWM, so basically only one wire needed to each satellite box location. No need for them to all go to the main TV location. You can send all the wires to a central location, maybe a closet to terminate the runs. You should also have a few, probably 6 power outlets (110V) set up for transformer plugs at this location. The SWM will need a 110volt outlet for a power inserter.

This closet would also be an excellent location for your cable/DSL modem. The means a POTS (CAT6 will work) and a cable run there from the utility riser outside (and a 110v outlets for the modem/router/network switch/wireless access point). This would also be a prime location for any NAS or servers you plan to deploy. You will likely need a CCK to have internet connectivity to the D* boxes (requires another 110 v outlet).

I'd also make some CAT6 runs to various locations in the house. In particular, anywhere that you think you'll put a desktop computer. I'd also run a line or two for a networked printer - they have built-in printer servers.

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Line of sight isn't an issue and location should be fine. The only issue I could encounter is the installer being afraid of heights or not wanting to install so high up. Pole mount in the yard isn't going to be an option. Hidden on back of house on top of a level is where it will be. Period.

They've gotten very strict on heights. You may have to put up the dish yourself if that's the only place you will allow it to go.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#18 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

They've gotten very strict on heights. You may have to put up the dish yourself if that's the only place you will allow it to go.

Or he can call a retailer like me who isn't afraid to do custom installs at heights.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#19 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

This is a good idea, but i'd go a step or two further...

Just a thought... the system will run off of a SWM, so basically only one wire needed to each satellite box location. No need for them to all go to the main TV location. You can send all the wires to a central location, maybe a closet to terminate the runs. You should also have a few, probably 6 power outlets (110V) set up for transformer plugs at this location. The SWM will need a 110volt outlet for a power inserter.

This closet would also be an excellent location for your cable/DSL modem. The means a POTS (CAT6 will work) and a cable run there from the utility riser outside (and a 110v outlets for the modem/router/network switch/wireless access point). This would also be a prime location for any NAS or servers you plan to deploy. You will likely need a CCK to have internet connectivity to the D* boxes (requires another 110 v outlet).

I'd also make some CAT6 runs to various locations in the house. In particular, anywhere that you think you'll put a desktop computer. I'd also run a line or two for a networked printer - they have built-in printer servers.

I would run a cat 6 line to every room in the house. You never know when you need to expand.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Or he can call a retailer like me who isn't afraid to do custom installs at heights.

Afraid of heights isn't the issue. It getting an installer who can meet OSHA standards requirements for working at heights above 6' (when not on a ladder).

Edited by trh, 20 January 2013 - 09:05 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...