Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost Girl on SyFy First Run Ignored

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Two identical HR23-700 both with software 0x62c

Season pass on both set to record first run of Lost Girl on SyFy

Both HR23 do NOT record according to the season pass, I have to go in each week and check ahead and set a manual recording

I am guessing, based on past discussions of this kind of problem with other series programs, that SyFy and/or the company that gives the information to DTV is not properly marking the programs, so my season pass does not "see" any new episode as actually being new

Is there anything I can do... or do I just wait and hope that "someone" who gives the information to DTV will eventually wake up and correct the data stream?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I have seen this complaint before on several threads last year.
The "workaround" is to set up a Manual Record using the menu, not the record button.
Menu, Recordings, Manage Recordings, Manual Record.
There you can set it up just like a Series, except is it totally dedicated to the channel and time of day.
After you are finished it does show up and can be deleted from the Series Manager.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

It is a bit of a snafu but Lost Girl had the same issue last year as well. Some shows that are replays of out of country productions show the foreign first run dates. I suspect its the national carrier not resetting the flag for their first air dates.

Set the Series link to record "both" first run and replay episode types and maybe you'll have to delete a few extras some months down the road. When an episode is recorded it logs in that DVR's history and won't be recording all the other showings in the week or two that it gets mercilessly replayed.;) Eventually that history rolls off and that episode could record again but that's a few months out.

Don "who else but Kensi would have a 'monster truck thong'?" Bolton

Two identical HR23-700 both with software 0x62c

Season pass on both set to record first run of Lost Girl on SyFy

Both HR23 do NOT record according to the season pass, I have to go in each week and check ahead and set a manual recording

I am guessing, based on past discussions of this kind of problem with other series programs, that SyFy and/or the company that gives the information to DTV is not properly marking the programs, so my season pass does not "see" any new episode as actually being new

Is there anything I can do... or do I just wait and hope that "someone" who gives the information to DTV will eventually wake up and correct the data stream?

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#4 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

>record "both" first run and replay... When an episode is recorded it logs in that DVR's history and won't be recording all the other showings in the week or two that it gets mercilessly replayed

OK... I've never used anything other than first run, so did not know how the software handled repeats

Knowing that any individual episode won't repeat record during the "current timeframe" should work for me... having to delete an "eventual" duplicate is a lot better than missing an episode

#5 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

When setting up or editing a series or individual recordings there is a dialog field that will open to a drop down and let you specify one of three options for episode type.

Also sometimes you might see this issue on a BBCA program after a US only holiday weekend marathon that preempts its planned air date.

Don Automation is great but sometimes the human elephant squashes the input" Bolton

>record "both" first run and replay... When an episode is recorded it logs in that DVR's history and won't be recording all the other showings in the week or two that it gets mercilessly replayed

OK... I've never used anything other than first run, so did not know how the software handled repeats

Knowing that any individual episode won't repeat record during the "current timeframe" should work for me... having to delete an "eventual" duplicate is a lot better than missing an episode

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Syfy uses the actual original air date. In the case of Lost Girl it airs in Canada first so that is the date Syfy uses. Technically Syfy is correct here because the date it was aired in Canada is the original air date. The air date on Syfy would be the original US air date.

The fix, as lugnutathome stated, is to choose both. Once an episode is recorded the "28 Day Rule" applies and that episode won't be recorded again within the next 28 days.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

This is a good thing to remember to do for lots of non-USA original programming. I do it for BBC stuff as well, because for the same reason, the Original Air Date is not the date its shown here, but country of origin. And you came to the perfect conclusion that you would rather occasionally have to delete an episode you've already seen vs. missing an episode. Believe it or not there have been some when given that info, just seem to jump up and down and scream "unacceptable", etc...good for you.

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,664 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

I have First Run ignored on a lot of SyFy & BBCA shows.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,230 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

I have First Run ignored on a lot of SyFy & BBCA shows.

And that would be for the reasons described above...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

>just seem to jump up and down and scream "unacceptable", etc...good for you

Oh well... wish in one hand and spit in the other... and see which one gets wet

I don't really care HOW this works, I just want to be sure I don't miss an episode

If that means I have to select both instead of 1st run for this type of "import" series, then that is what I have to do

I'm certainly not going to WASTE the time complaining about something I can't change

So... thanks to everyone who explained the WHY of this... and the workaround

#11 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Syfy uses the actual original air date. In the case of Lost Girl it airs in Canada first so that is the date Syfy uses. Technically Syfy is correct here because the date it was aired in Canada is the original air date. The air date on Syfy would be the original US air date.

The fix, as lugnutathome stated, is to choose both. Once an episode is recorded the "28 Day Rule" applies and that episode won't be recorded again within the next 28 days.

You stated it well, which is why I have Continuum set to Both.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#12 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

The same thing happens with "An Idiot Abroad" on the Science Channel. It airs in the UK before it comes to the US.

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

The same thing happens with "An Idiot Abroad" on the Science Channel. It airs in the UK before it comes to the US.

Yeah, there's a pretty long list of shows that this would apply to.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,664 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Dr Who is returning on Mar 30th. So I will yet another First Run trouble maker because its first showings are outside the USA.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,230 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Not a trouble if your SL is already set up to record both First Run and Repeats.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#16 OFFLINE   Gary*W*

Gary*W*

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Its been happening on Merlin too

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Dr Who is returning on Mar 30th. So I will yet another First Run trouble maker because its first showings are outside the USA.

First it's Doctor Who, he's not an M.D. Second, how long have you been recording Doctor Who? If it's been a while you know that we get them the same night they are broadcast in the UK now so the OAD is the same.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Its been happening on Merlin too

It happens on any show that Syfy, and a few other networks, airs that has previously aired in another country.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   JohnDG

JohnDG

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

What surprised my was that the first run dates were only 8 days old and the "first run" did not work. Is the window 7 days for the DVR?

jdg

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

What surprised my was that the first run dates were only 8 days old and the "first run" did not work. Is the window 7 days for the DVR?

jdg

8 days old does not equal "first run". First run is 0 days old.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall