Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Digital Subchannels

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   demsd

demsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many digital subchannels an LPTV station can have?

#2 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Some in my city have 5.
DTV only retransmits only ONE subchannel of one station out of more than 15+ channels that have been transmiting subchannels since the beginning of digital transmisions.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I have seen 6 SD used, and I have seen one 1080i and one 720p HD used.
I dont know if the FCC has a limit, but technically, 6 would be about the limit before the picture becomes unwatchable.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

An LPTV station is no different to a full power station when it comes how much bandwidth they have, the only difference is how far their signal goes. All of them have 18mbps, it's up to the individual station on how they divide it.

One of my local stations has 7 SD channels and 2 audio only channels, all various ethnic programming.
http://www.wmbctv.com/

Los Angeles is even greater when it comes to their ethnic stations:
KSCI has 9, KJLA has 10 and KBEH has 8

Most of them use stat muxing with a variable bitrate, they are watchable, but these stations serve a niche for the various ethnic communities and have no plan to upgrade to HD since the source of their programming are usually foreign and aren't available in HD anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   demsd

demsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

That many, wow. Most stations in my area have 2 with some having 3. Since I have not seen one with more then 3 I thought there may be some restrictions on the number of subchannels. Most have nothing [worth watching] on their subchannels, while others utilize them for additional revenue stream with affiliate programming from This TV, Antenna TV, etc.

... but these stations serve a niche for the various ethnic communities and have no plan to upgrade to HD since the source of their programming are usually foreign and aren't available in HD anyway.

Isn't the move to digital by 2015 an FCC requirement?

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Digital does not require HD.

#7 OFFLINE   demsd

demsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Learn something new every day.

Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,144 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Los Angeles is even greater when it comes to their ethnic stations:
KSCI has 9, KJLA has 10 and KBEH has 8

I believe all 3 of those are Full power stations though.

While KSCI does offer 9, KJLA is currently only offering 6 (57.3, 57.6, 57.7 are dark) and KBEH are not offering any sub-channels.

WANN here in Atlanta is a low power station and offers a Program Guide, 9 video signals and 6 audio (simulcast of atlanta radio stations)..

Edited by fluffybear, 23 January 2013 - 07:21 PM.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,593 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

September 1, 2015.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Even one is one too many.
DTV = Digital Television

#11 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

I believe all 3 of those are Full power stations though.

As I said there's no difference between a full power station and a low power station when it comes to bandwidth, all of them have 18mbps. The only difference is how far the signal goes.

Yeah for an HD channel it is, but for stations that air nothing but ethnic programming or are part of a network that isn't even available in HD, if they don't add any additional subchannels, they either go overkill and have 18mbps devoted to one SD feed or only use about 2-8mbps and have the rest in a null packet doing nothing.
Here's an example of how much bandwidth WMUN-CD in NYC is dumping in the null packet since they only have one SD channel:
http://www.rabbitear...c/73207-0_0.htm

#12 OFFLINE   demsd

demsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

How is that?

With pay TV rates what they are, and what they are bound to be, and with a stagnating subscriber rate, OTA is actually getting popular again. The number of OTA antenna's sold last year doubled that of 2011.

#13 OFFLINE   demsd

demsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

September 1, 2015.

Right [I never mentioned HD, only digital].

#14 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

How is that?

With pay TV rates what they are, and what they are bound to be, and with a stagnating subscriber rate, OTA is actually getting popular again. The number of OTA antenna's sold last year doubled that of 2011.

Bitrate. More subchannels leads to less bitrate for the main channel. Even with advances in compression techniques and technologies, subchannels reduce the potential quality of main channels.
DTV = Digital Television

#15 OFFLINE   demsd

demsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Its free TV. You don't pay much, you don't get much. :)

#16 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

There's a mention in another thread on this forum of a station in San Francisco with 12 or 14 channels. I believe, theoretically, you could have up to 99 channels, but most would have to be audio-only since you wouldn't be able to squeeze 99 video signals into 18 mbps!

I know the HD purists hate this idea, but if you're a station that's not affiliated with an HD network and you don't run any first-run syndicated programming, it's really just a waste of bandwidth to put out an "HD" signal since none of the programming is really in HD. In many cases it could make more business sense to offer 9 SD channels, if you have a master control facility that can insert commercials and handle EAS on that many channels. Or, it could make sense if you're in a rural area with few stations.

Keep in mind some stations "fake" it a bit - the FCC says if you have two stations in a market, you can have both of them remap to the same channel. In Minneapolis, channel "2" is actually a combination of RF 23 and 34 and channel "5" is a combination of RF 35 and 45. (To make it more confusing, there is also a "23" that actually comes from RF 22.)

Edited by Jon Ellis, 26 January 2013 - 10:27 PM.

spam firewall