Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24/500 won't play live TV

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Have this receiver in my bedroom and it plays recordings, but not live TV. Sat settings look fine and if I reset the receiver it works fine again for a few days. Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Do you get any error messages when it will not play live TV ? If so, what does it say ?
How does the receiver react at the time it will not play ? Is it frozen, pixelated ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

No error listed, screen is black.

#4 ONLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

When you can not get Live TV, can you bring up the menu screen? If so, run system test and tell us what it says.

#5 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

SWM not detected it says. What is that?

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

SWM is Single Wire Multiswitch.
Your system uses a Power Inserter. They are usually close to a TV. They are about 2-1/4" square by 5 inches long. It should have a green light on if it is working properly.
See if you can locate this and if the light is on.
If it is you possibly have a loose connection in one of the coax cables in that line.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Green light on, all coax lines are tight

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Did you run the system test when it wasn't working? If you reboot it and get live TV back, does it then say that SWM is detected?

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Maybe an HDMI handshake problem? What if you only pull the HDMI cable and plug it back in? Assuming you're using HDMI that is....

If it is a signal problem - like cable/swm/dish you should get the 'Searching for...' screen - not a black screen right?

#10 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

It's a coax cable issue. The IRD won't see the LNB. Check all of the connections that you can access and make sure everything is tight. The SWM PI may be failing or the LNB, too.

#11 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Have this receiver in my bedroom and it plays recordings, but not live TV. Sat settings look fine and if I reset the receiver it works fine again for a few days. Any thoughts?

Are there other receivers? Are they working normally? How are they connected to the SWM, i.e., do you have a splitter? If you can get to the splitter, try switching the cable to the bedroom with another port on the splitter and see if the problem persists, or moves to another receiver.

Do you have any idea how long the cable run to this receiver is? If all else fails, can you swap another receiver into this location? This would tell us if the problem is the receiver or the cable/switch/LNB path leading to the bedroom.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#12 OFFLINE   xlate011370

xlate011370

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I have a rather odd issue with my directv.  I have an  HR24-500 DVR in living room, 4 HR25-500 in kids rooms (receivers only).  I can stream movies from my computer to every tv in the house except for the one in the living room that has the HR24-500 DVR.  I get the message on anything I try to play, " Sorry the video rate of xxxxxx exceeds the maximum supported by MediaShare.   I have tried running a cat 5 cable directly from my router to the DVR thinking the wireless may be the problem.  Didnt work.  So I then took a HR25 receiver from my kids bedroom and hooked it up to that tv, and all plays fine.  Therefore it must be something with that DVR box.  Does anyone have any solutions to that?  Oh and the reason I dont just leave one of their receivers hooked up to that tv is because I cant pause live tv then.  Thanks.

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,216 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Plugging an Ethernet cable into a HR24 disables the DECA (coax) network connection. You have to disconnect the Ethernet and reboot to go back to DECA. You also mention wireless but didn't offer any more configuration. Can you post a diagram of your setup?

Also, you can record live TV and immediately play it on a Hxx receiver with full trickplay.

I have a rather odd issue with my directv.  I have an  HR24-500 DVR in living room, 4 HR25-500 in kids rooms (receivers only).  I can stream movies from my computer to every tv in the house except for the one in the living room that has the HR24-500 DVR.  I get the message on anything I try to play, " Sorry the video rate of xxxxxx exceeds the maximum supported by MediaShare.   I have tried running a cat 5 cable directly from my router to the DVR thinking the wireless may be the problem.  Didnt work.  So I then took a HR25 receiver from my kids bedroom and hooked it up to that tv, and all plays fine.  Therefore it must be something with that DVR box.  Does anyone have any solutions to that?  Oh and the reason I dont just leave one of their receivers hooked up to that tv is because I cant pause live tv then.  Thanks.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#14 OFFLINE   xlate011370

xlate011370

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

AMD 8 Core pc going to Linksys E1200 router (hard wired).  When Directv was out they hooked up some little Deca box to my router and said that would allow me to stream to all the receivers.  Like I said, it does stream to every one of them, except the main DVR box.  I have time warner (roadrunner cable) if that matters at all.  I'm not sure what more information you need.  I have tried using various programs, with all giving me that same message.  I have tried Tvshare, Serviio, and Tversity.

#15 OFFLINE   xlate011370

xlate011370

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

sorry forgot to mention, everything else on the HR receiver works fine.  yes I can record live tv and immediately play it with full trickplay

#16 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Do you have an ethernet cable hooked into the back of the HR24?  If so you need to remove it and reboot the HR24 to get it back on the DECA network.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#17 OFFLINE   xlate011370

xlate011370

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Do you have an ethernet cable hooked into the back of the HR24?  If so you need to remove it and reboot the HR24 to get it back on the DECA network.

No I do not have an ethernet cable in there.  I have had directv for about a year now and never had an ethernet cable plugged into it.  I just tried that over the weekend to see if it would make a difference.  It did not, so I unplugged it and I have rebooted the HR24.  Do you think the HR 24 just might be bad?

spam firewall