Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Reduced Reception in Winter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Why is OTA reception worse in the wintertime? In the summer, I can get channels from Fairfax, VA ((WNVC) & Philidelphia, PA (WPVI & WPHL) intermittently, but in the winter, it is rare for me to get these channels.

I was always told that reception should be better in the fall & winter because of no leaves on the trees, which makes sense to me.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

The signals bounce off a temperature inversion in the atmosphere in the spring and fall. In the summer and winter, those inversions are rarely present.

You can monitor where they are at: http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I actually get better reception in the winter, the colder it gets the higher my signal levels get. That's why I do scans for channels when we have really cold weather, kinda like now actually, just to see what shows up.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,727 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Why is OTA reception worse in the wintertime? In the summer, I can get channels from Fairfax, VA ((WNVC) & Philidelphia, PA (WPVI & WPHL) intermittently,...

I'm in the master antenna system service business in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. I recently got a call from a 260 unit condominium where I maintain a basic, six channel headend that uses residential grade tuners as sources for the development of six analog channels. They reported to me that channel 4 (WRC 4.1) was out, and I was surprised to see that the tuner had somehow found and indexed Philadelphia WACP 4.1 and 4.2, which forced that receiver to index WRC to channels 48.3 and 48.4. Strange, because WACP is 135 miles away. No resident claims to have ever actually seen that programming. The receiver got enough signal to identify the channel but not enough to deliver the program. I cleared it by simply rescanning.

Back in the late 1970s, I used to get TV signals from a thousand miles away for a night or two or June, and I got all 6 VHF channels from New York City, about 250 miles away, but that was back when only the largest market TV stations broadcast for 24 hours a day, so there was less co-channel interference on those late nights. I don't know what kind of "skip" performance people have been getting with digital signals.

spam firewall