Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Filmware?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bills41

Bills41

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 10:50 AM

The picture on my tv has been flickering for sometime off and on when I have Dish on. I called Dish and their CSR told me it was probably my receiver having trouble downloading new filmware , whatever that is. She told me 3 things to do to remedy the problem. I did the first thing, which was unpluggng the receiver for 45 minutes. It seemed to help some, but the picture still flickers some. Before I go to number 2 thing to try, has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how did you fix it? This downloading of filmware could it cause the flickering of the picture?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 11:05 AM

Nope - firmware is only downloaded when the receiver is in Standby mode (off), unless it's a forced download which hasn't happened for a while. Flickering tv could be caused by a loose cable connection, a magnetic source (like speakers) too close to the tv, or the tv just getting old and wearing out. What kind of tv is it, how old is it, what kind of cables are you using to wire your receiver to your tv? Basically, what is your setup?
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   Bills41

Bills41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 11:30 AM

Mark,
Thanks for the reply. I am not convinced it is not my tv. You mentioned the filmware is only downloaded when the receiver is off. My receiver is always on, I don't turn it off. Should I turn it off once in awhile? I do have other receivers and wires around the Dish receiver, as I have Directv and BUD all hooked up to that tv. The tv is a big screen Toshiba and is about 5 years old. Maybe soemething is wearing out in the tv. I have a tv in the bedroom hooked up to Dish and there is no problem with it. I had this set up for sometime and the flickering just started 2-3 months ago. Does it sound like the tv may be the problem, or what? Thanks for anymore help.

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 11:38 AM

First, it's FIRMware, not FILMware... :D

If you want updates to your dish software, you need to turn it off every now and again.

Flickering is almost always caused by interference. It could be in your tv, it could be a bad cable, it could be a center channel speaker going bad...basically a number of things.

I would try to identify the cause of the problem by unhooking everything except for the dish receiver to the tv. If there's no flicker, then the problem is in one of your other components. If there is flicker, then try a different wire between your receiver and your tv and try plugging your receiver into a different outlet than your tv.

Then hook things back up one by one. That should help identify the source of the flicker.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   Bills41

Bills41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 11:47 AM

Thanks....we will try your suggestions.

#6 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 09:04 PM

Bills41, I think I saw somewhere that if the software gets too far out of date on the receivers that it can cause problems. You might want to let it update. Dish has been sending out updates to get the receivers ready for the spotbeam sats.

#7 OFFLINE   Bills41

Bills41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 10:00 PM

Thanks, I will shut it down tonight.

#8 OFFLINE   RodP

RodP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 11:25 PM

I was wondering if you are watching Dish on a RF input such as channel 3 or 4? Also does this flicker seem to be at a constant speed, and or is the flicker there when in the guide?

Later Rod

#9 OFFLINE   Bills41

Bills41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 04:36 AM

It is set on channel 3 on the tv, it is a pretty constant speed and I think I have noticed it once in awhile when the guide is on.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...