Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Equipment needed for Whole Home setup?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'm sure this topic has been started many times before. So excuse me for a repeat thread. I contacted DirecTV about the Genie and found out it's a little too high in price for me at this time. I even asked about Whole Home DVR service and even it's $199. I already have a wireless router with my HR23 connected to it. The other receiver I have is a HR20. What equipment is needed to make it into a Whole Home system? I figured if I could connect it myself and do it cheaper than a DirecTV install, I'd take a stab at it. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

The minimum required would be to connect the other DVR to your home network and then activate MRV in "unsupported" mode as described in this thread.

Supported mode would require SWM connections. If you currently have a multiswitch (like a Zinwell 6x8) a simple swap with a SWM8 switch will do the trick, and will only require one wire to each DVR. Adding a SWM to a no-switch install is bit more involved, depending on how the wires are routed. We'd need some additional information about your wiring to offer advice.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#3 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Right now, I just have the HR23 connected to my router via Cat5 cable. I have a couple of open ports still on my router.

#4 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Right now, I just have the HR23 connected to my router via Cat5 cable. I have a couple of open ports still on my router.

No she meant how is your Coax lines from dish routed, if it's from Zinwell switch that's most likely placed outside your house with several cables connected to, which means you need to be upgraded to SWM because you have legacy installed (2 cables in back of receiver) converted to just 1 cable to back of receiver with no BBC's required on your receiver and required a SWM 8 switch most likely, but we need more details of your installed service

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#5 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

My bad. Both receivers are connected with the 2 cables in the back.

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Well it needs to be upgraded to SWM,

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#7 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

That's fine, all that's needed is an ethernet cable from your router to your other DVR as Diana has suggested here:

The minimum required would be to connect the other DVR to your home network and then activate MRV in "unsupported" mode as described in this thread.

Vin

#8 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

To use unsupported, as has been stated, just give the other HR ethernet, then have it activated. do note that this creates substantial traffic on your home network, and if your router is not fast enough, you might run into problems that DirecTV won't support. There are ways around it...

1. get a seperate switch (not a hub) to connect the 2 DVR's to, and then connect that switch to your router
2. upgrade your router to a better one
3. upgrade to the SWM system... this would be the preferred method, and the one that DirecTV would use if you had them install the service... if you wanted to go DIY, then you would need to tell us where the cables get from your dish to your DVR's (do they go straight through, or is there a box (multiswitch) in between.

Hope this helps...
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#9 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

If you just have the two DVRs, you likely have no switch of any kind. Your dish has 4 cables coming from the LNB and two go to one DVR, and two go to the other.

In this situation, switching to SWM to support whole home would require the addition of a SWM8 multiswitch and the associated power inserter. The four wires from the dish would have to rerouted to the location of the switch, and one wire run from the switch to each DVR location. You would also need a splitter and "Cinema Connection Kit" if you want to attach the DVRs to the internet for Video on Demand. The power inserter would go between one of the DVRs (or the splitter) and the switch.

So, as you can see, simply hooking up the second DVR to your home network is much simpler. While it is true that when you watch a recording on one DVR via the other the data will be streaming through your network, the actual data volume is relatively low. As long as you are using wired ethernet at a speed of 100Mbps or better, the whole home load on your LAN will below 10%. Again, if you were to someday add more viewing locations then it would be advisable to consider the SWM option for increased reliability.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

spam firewall