Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wiring for a new home in 2014

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

When I entered my title, the forum popped up several threads... the one from 2009 says do what I did when we built our current home 6+ years ago... run at least 2 RG6 from the wiring cabinet to each TV location (see the end)

Call me old fashioned, but I still like the idea of a separate DVR at each TV... so a failure does not mean ALL recordings are lost, as would happen with an HR34 that does all the recording for the entire house

Does anyone know if DTV will still install a multi-LNB dish, and a multiswitch such as the Zinwell 6x8, to allow each TV to have a separate DVR?

Also, does anyone have a "favorite" brand/model/supplier for "structured" wiring with 2 RG6 and Cat5-or-6 in one bundle? (I can certainly do what I did for our current house, pull individual wires, but an all-in-one solution should take less time... and may even cost less)

Thanks, John

Discussion from 2009 http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=165868

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Just install an AU9 slimline dish with the SWM LNB. This can feed up to 8 tuners (4 HR2x DVRs) at separate locations using a single coax to each. Then with Whole Home system you can access each DVR from any room.

This thread may also be of interest.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=212163
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

>AU9 ... SWM LNB. ... up to 8 tuners (4 HR2x DVRs)

Hmm... this would work for US... but my wife has stated that she is designing for "someday" resale when we get old & feeble and need to move into a retirement center

I am looking at FIVE locations for a TV connection... we would only use 3, but whoever eventually buys from us might want to use all 5

So, that puts me back to the idea from the 2009 discussion link I posted

At the very least, I think I need to run 4 RG6 (or 5 to have OTA antenna) from dish to wiring cabinet... and then 2 RG6 to each TV location

I could have DTV install the AU9 slimline dish with the SWM LNB for us to use with 3 DVRs... with capability to install a different dish later, if needed

#4 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Whatever you decide. the key is to label everything so you or the person you sell to knows what goes where...

What I would do if it were my house...

1. run 4 RG6 cables from Sat DISH to wiring closet This will allow for SWM8 or SWM 16 as needed
2. run 1 RG6 cable from OTA ANT (assuming attic mount antenna) to wiring closet
3. run 2 RG6 cables from wiring closet to everywhere you think you might want a TV. and leave some slack for the placement of the wall plates. be sure to label your cables so you can keep them straight... I used different color tape, you could use white and black colored cable to seperate the OTA from the SAT cable.
4. run CAT6 cables from wiring closet to everwhere you could possibly think you might want a network jack, again, labeling locatins is a plus... don't forget about putting ethernet into more places than just your TV locations...

I ran conduit and pulled the wires for a fried of mine and added a string in case he needed something else pulled through... came in handy when his wife insisted on landline service... and he needed a phone jack in her office
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#5 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

>Whatever you decide. the key is to label everything

Yes... the 2RG6 + 2Cat5/6 wire sets I have discovered all have different colors for the pairs of RG6 and Cat5/6 wires, so knowing which is what will be easy

Telephone only and/or Internet only to any other locations will (should... I haven't looked very much) be easy to identify by buying boxes of Cat5/6 with different color outsides... or Cat5 for telephone and Cat6 for Internet connections

Running 5 RG6 from dish location to wiring closet (should be a fairly short distance) will be done with discrete RG6 lines that I will label as I pull through the wall/ceiling

The idea of conduit with a string (or 2 or 3) for future proofing is a good one

My wife's grandson is an electrician, who normally works on commercial buildings, but also has worked on houses, so the next time I see him I will also ask him for ideas

#6 OFFLINE   waltmapb

waltmapb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Look at monoprice.com for cables. They have cat5 in 11 different colors and the best prices anywhere. I've used them for years.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

In some cases Amazon can be cheaper since there's no shipping. I usually check both.

spam firewall