Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Improvements planned for whole home? Or did Genie kill it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grins

grins

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Whole home sure seems like half a feature to me. Obviously, combining the playlist is the first step, but just as playlist on each unit is combined, it seems that all other recording function should be combined as well.
  • In use/Available tuners should be combined
    • Record Request

If I request a program to be recorded, the DVR should look for an available tuner on all whole-home enabled DVRs, not just the current one

• Conflict Resolution

Conflict resolution should display all conflicting recordings, i.e. not just cancel request cancel 1 cancel 2, but also cancel 3 cancel 4, ... etc

• Recording indicators in guide should be combined

If I've got two things scheduled at 7pm on DVR A and one thing at 7 PM on DVR B, the guide should show three programs recording at 7 PM on both DVRs

• Series manager should display serial recordings from all whole-home enabled dvrs

Priority of recording is set in the combined list, not on each DVR individually (this implies that the DVR also does a search for an available tuner at record time)

• Todo List should show upcoming recordings from all whole-home enabled dvrs
  • History should show history from all whole-home enabled dvrs
  • Edited to add: This allows headless (i.e. no TV attached) DVRs to be useful

Edited by grins, 21 January 2013 - 02:23 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

That would not fit with how our family uses the DVR's and would create a management nightmare for us...

The only way I could see this is if I had my series links, my wife had hers, Mom and Grandma had theirs, then when one sat down to watch TV, they could select their name from a list, and only see their series links, todo list... the guide could have an icon to indicate that a program was beeing recorded by you or by anone else that would be OK... but to completeley unify the series manager and todo list would be bad for us...
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#3 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

You have to keep in mind that the vast majority of DirecTV subs only have one DVR. For these users, the Genie is the solution to recording conflicts.

Multi DVR households are a definite minority (and yes, Genie will help to keep it that way), hence full integration as you describe it is pretty low on the priority list. For example, being able to survey all the DVRs available looking for free tuners during a particular timeslot requires a level of processing power and coding such that I doubt we'll ever see it. However, an integrated "To-Do" list would be a great minimal enhancement. If I can see what is already scheduled on all DVRs, I can make the decision to create a new series-link and where to save it.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#4 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

That would not fit with how our family uses the DVR's and would create a management nightmare for us...

The only way I could see this is if I had my series links, my wife had hers, Mom and Grandma had theirs, then when one sat down to watch TV, they could select their name from a list, and only see their series links, todo list... the guide could have an icon to indicate that a program was beeing recorded by you or by anone else that would be OK... but to completeley unify the series manager and todo list would be bad for us...

Well, just because the system is capable of full integration, doesn't mean you'd have to use it. For example, just as you can turn the integrated playlist on and off, an integrated to-do list could also have a "Local only" and "All" toggle.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

I just don't see any of that happening in the future. Sorry but I think the whole-home working with the Hx2x is a bonus and the future is the Genie.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#6 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

I just don't see any of that happening in the future. Sorry but I think the whole-home working with the Hx2x is a bonus and the future is the Genie.

Yes, we've been asking for an integrated to-do list for as long as we've had whole home. If it were coming, we'd have it by now.

Current setup:

#7 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Well, just because the system is capable of full integration, doesn't mean you'd have to use it. For example, just as you can turn the integrated playlist on and off, an integrated to-do list could also have a "Local only" and "All" toggle.

Exactly... not many would use it so...

however, if, as I suggested, you were able to group things to the user level, then you could have 1 user be the whole home, or 4 individuals if you needed 4... more people would be inclined to use such a feature, and thus maybe more likelihood of it's development...

Although I think Genie will ultimately kill future development on WHDVR...

At this point I would just like to see, when I hit list, if I recorded the same show on 2 DVR's that it only shows up 1 time in the playlist, and defaults to local playback with a menu option to play from local, or play from x, y, or z DVR...
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,400 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Exactly... not many would use it so...

I think that, if you were to look at the many "wishlist" polls that have taken place here over the past few years, you will see that this is a very common request. Therefore, it's fair to assume that a lot of multi-DVR owners would use it (at least a lot of DBSTalk multi-DVR owners).

#9 OFFLINE   grins

grins

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

If it were coming, we'd have it by now.

That's the money quote for me. My initial assumption was that the Genie killed it.

I couldn't resist saying how I wanted it to work, even though the only features I notice in DTV software are the ones that break my world (like changing Pause to being equivalent to Play in the playlist--I would love to fling poop at that dev/management team)

#10 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

I would love to fling poop at that dev/management team)

Haha, that's one way of dealing with your problems :lol:

Any opinions, express or implied, are solely my own and do not reflect the views of DirecTV, our other representatives, employees, or other associated/affiliated companies.

My Equipment: 1x HR44-500, 1x HR24-200, 1x H25-100, 2x D12-100
My Programming: Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST MAX, NBA LP, NHL CI, MLS DK, Fox Soccer Plus, En Espanol

spam firewall