Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Setup for RV???

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Will this one work?

this is the LNB i use for camping! it works fine, but i think you will have to use the dish in the MIDDLE pic. i may be wrong but i don't think the round dish will get the HD chs.

good luck.:D

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

I have no problem using the slimline dish in the middle picture. What I am wanting to do is get away from the install problems of using the SWM LNB and the power inserter. I also should be able to use the simple and inexpensive meter shown below. Is this correct?

http://www.amazon.co...g=5336432741-20

#23 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have no problem using the slimline dish in the middle picture. What I am wanting to do is get away from the install problems of using the SWM LNB and the power inserter. I also should be able to use the simple and inexpensive meter shown below. Is this correct?

http://www.amazon.co...g=5336432741-20

The SWM LNB is no more difficult to install than the non-SWM LNB.
And that meter is a complete waste of time and money. You are into hundreds of dollars for a suitable meter.

#24 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Being I have everything to do the SWM setup I will play around with it some when it warms up.

Do I power up the receiver prior to the power inserter?

#25 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,188 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Being I have everything to do the SWM setup I will play around with it some when it warms up.

Do I power up the receiver prior to the power inserter?

Definitely plug in the power inserter before you plug in the receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#26 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Due to the complexity of aligning a SWM dish without a meter I am thinking of using one of my other dishes instead.

The other dish assemblies in your collection will NOT receive HD channels. No ifs, ands or buts.

If the Power Inserter or that you can't use a conventional meter is what has you wadded up, get a non-SWiM LNB for the Slimline dish. You need to understand that switching back and forth will require some discipline.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#27 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

The other dish assemblies in your collection will NOT receive HD channels. No ifs, ands or buts.

If the Power Inserter or that you can't use a conventional meter is what has you wadded up, get a non-SWiM LNB for the Slimline dish. You need to understand that switching back and forth will require some discipline.

+1

#28 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

I have decided to get a Winegard Travel'er installed on the motorhome I just ordered. But I am confused with how it works. The wires from the Travel'er will run to a central location at the B/R TV. It is at this location that I would install the receiver. Will I need a separate receiver for each TV or use some type of HDMI switch to send the feed to the other two TV's?

#29 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

I have decided to get a Winegard Travel'er installed on the motorhome I just ordered. But I am confused with how it works. The wires from the Travel'er will run to a central location at the B/R TV. It is at this location that I would install the receiver. Will I need a separate receiver for each TV or use some type of HDMI switch to send the feed to the other two TV's?

Either way works and it's entirely up to you. If you run the coax and control cable to the BR TV location, you will need to find a place for the controller and the power inserter at that location as well. Then you either need to run a coax to the other TV location(s) if you're going to put receivers there, or you need to run HDMI if you're not.

If you're doing this as a factory installed item, I don't know of any manufacturer that will run the main line (and control line) to the bedroom. They always do it to a living room or front overhead location, because those locations are more convenient for installing the controller box. The new RVs I'm familiar with include a distribution system for watching the (one) receiver on all the TVs. What brand/model motorhome did you order?

One or more receivers is totally a lifestyle decision for you. Do you want to be forced to watch the same programming on each TV? Or are you willing to pay the monthly fees for additional receivers? Once you decide that, deciding how to wire things is much easier.

#30 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

I am getting a Tiffin Allegro. They use to run everything in the front, but now run everything to the B/R TV area. The HDMI and other cables are run from that location to the other two TV locations.

#31 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Interesting. I wonder why they made that change. What floor plan? I'd like to look it up on their website.

#32 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

We have the Allegro 31SA ordered with the sofa/chair option instead of the L-chaise. We thought about the 36LA, but the shorter model fits at the house better.

#33 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

The Winegard Traveler is nice, but ridiculously expensive.
Even if you get it, recommend that you have them install a coax connector in one of the externally accessed storage compartments, or better yet, a weatherproof external access panel with the connector inside, so that you can hook up the extra SL3 that you have.
The coax should be run to the same location that your WT is run, the MBR, to a switch.

The WT is convenient and won't get kicked over by foot traffic, but it is fixed, and if you happen to park where trees obstruct the view... common, to provide shade, etc., then you will need a backup that provides flexibility as to where you can set the dish.
I've seen RV parks where the majority of spaces were obstructed, and RV's with WT resorting to using their backup tripod-mounted dishes.
Also, if you can specify 3GHz swept solid copper center conductor coax in your RV, especially between the LNB/SWM/PI. You can offer to supply the coax, if necessary.

#34 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

This motorhome already has a separate connection labelled "tripod" for just that reason.

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

The wires from the Travel'er will run to a central location at the B/R TV.

The latest iteration of the DIRECTV Slimline TRAV'LER features a SWM-3 LNB assembly so there's only one coax coming in. This allows you to split the signal, but if you're only going to watch one TV at a time, I'd seriously consider an HDMI router rather than paying for multiple receivers.

IIRC, the orignal Slimline TRAV'LER only supports two tuners so you need to watch out for what they're trying to peddle to you.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#36 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

We finally took our first trip in the motorhome.  I was wanting to get the Traveler installed, but did not.  So it was my first experience of setting up the tripod and the SWM-3 dish.  As luck would have it I was able to set it up right outside the bedroom window where the receiver was at.  It was touch and go for a while until I made an adjustment that locked everything in.  Getting 101 was easy.  The 99 and 103 was the hard part.  The tilt adjustment was the one that locked everything in.  The actual setting was 11 points more that what the D* receiver and the internet said to put it on. 

#37 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

The actual setting was 11 points more that what the D* receiver and the internet said to put it on.

The "actual" setting shouldn't be more than a fraction of a degree off from what the receiver tells you (and then only in azimuth).

As a matter of interest, which setting(s) was(were) off?

Did you triple check the tripod for plumb?

#38 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:48 AM

It was the tilt setting that was off so much.  Yes the tripod was level with a bubble level.  Once the tilt point hit everything locked in with high numbers.

#39 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

Every RV I have ever been to the dish was banged up. People treat them like a chunk of metal instead of the fragile parabolic reflector for which they are designed. You got lucky. ;)

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#40 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

When I setup at a new location in about a week I will see how it sets up.  I was careful putting it in the storage compartment.  I even take off the LNB and put it in a safer spot.

spam firewall