Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Playlist Privacy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   benabelly

benabelly

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hi,

Yes, I did a search. :)

I have the Directv whole home system with one genie and 3 clients. Since all of them share one playlist, I'm trying to find out if there's a way to hide individual recordings between the genie and/or any of the 3 clients. In other words, if I record something on one box, can I hide that recording so it doesn't show up in the playlist on any of the other boxes?

I was sure that when the installer was here, he showed me some way to do that, but I don't remember what it was and no one at Directv seems to know either.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Ignore this response. It's completely incorrect.

I'm sure that someone will be here to post the exact menus to go through in order to accomplish this. But somewhere in the menu of the recording DVR, there is an option where you can tell the DVR to share or not to share its contents. If you set this to "don't share", you can still see programming from the other DVR's that do share on the Don't share DVR.

Edited by Bill Broderick, 21 January 2013 - 03:50 PM.
because I don't read carefully enough.

#3 OFFLINE   benabelly

benabelly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thanks.

I think I've found out that you can't hide the playlist between the genie and mini-clients because the clients depend on the genie for everything. That's ok. I really just want to be able to hide individual recordings and/or groups or at least block them with a password, or something.

If anyone knows any way to do that, please let me know.

Thanks again.

#4 ONLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Sorry, I didn't read the first portion of your question carefully enough. I thought that you had multiple DVR's. If you're asking of you can share some programs with all clients but block other programs to certain clients, then my answer is incorrect.

As you surmised, you can setup parental controls, which will require passwords and control programming that way. But the passwords would need to be entered anywhere you view the protected programming, not just specific clients.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thanks.

I think I've found out that you can't hide the playlist between the genie and mini-clients because the clients depend on the genie for everything. That's ok. I really just want to be able to hide individual recordings and/or groups or at least block them with a password, or something.

If anyone knows any way to do that, please let me know.

Thanks again.

That is not possible. The client is basically a front end for the Genie. For all purposes, when using the client, you are using the Genie.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...