Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cheapest way to get NBC Sports Network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jtrain73

jtrain73

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

With the NHL back, it is my understanding that games broadcast on NBC Sports Network will not be available on Center Ice or on the NHL Gamecenter online?

Assuming that is the case - what is the cheapest way to add this channel?

I am currently on the "Entertainment" package for $54.99/month, and it looks like NBC Sports Network isn't included in Choice, which is +$9/mo, but is included in Choice Extra which is +$14/mo more. I realize there are other channels included too, but really don't intend to watch them.

I can add NHL Center Ice as I had planned to anyway which gets me NHL Network where some other games are included, but are there any other ways to get NBC SN?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

I think Choice Extra is the lowest price package that includes NBC Sports Network. Back when it was OLN and Vs, it was available in the Sports Pack, but that is +$13 per month. I do not think it is included in the Sports Pack now, but if it was, it would only save you $1 per month compared to getting Choice Extra.

#3 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

I'm finding Center Ice being less of a value, more and more each year. I wanted to watch the Oilers and Canucks last night and couldn't find an HD feed of it. I'm not even sure if there was an SD version. My Shaw Direct system had two feeds for that game. Add the b.s. with the NBC Sports channel, the NBC regional telecasts and the NHL Network and it kind of discounts it's value.

#4 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

With the NHL back, it is my understanding that games broadcast on NBC Sports Network will not be available on Center Ice or on the NHL Gamecenter online?

Assuming that is the case - what is the cheapest way to add this channel?

I am currently on the "Entertainment" package for $54.99/month, and it looks like NBC Sports Network isn't included in Choice, which is +$9/mo, but is included in Choice Extra which is +$14/mo more. I realize there are other channels included too, but really don't intend to watch them.

I can add NHL Center Ice as I had planned to anyway which gets me NHL Network where some other games are included, but are there any other ways to get NBC SN?

Actually it's a $16/mo price increase from Entertainment to XTRA (formerly CHOICE XTRA) after the impending price increase.

That's a huge amount when you only care about the one channel!
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Did anyone watch the DET @ COLUMBUS game on NBC Sports?
The picture quality was horrendous.
All of the player names were completely out of focus.
I looked around the boards to see if any of the advertisements were in focus... thinking maybe the camera was focused on something other than the ice surface, but they looked soft as well.
This wasn't an issue with the "old" Versus... to the contrary, their picture was excellent.
I'm assuming that NBC used the COL arena feed that is used for their regional feed, etc.
Question for the COL fans (I admit, I haven't watched many of their games in the past), have you noticed this problem with other broadcasts on your regional network?

#6 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm finding Center Ice being less of a value, more and more each year. I wanted to watch the Oilers and Canucks last night and couldn't find an HD feed of it.

When 2 Canadian teams face each other it will be in SD UNLESS
-its against the Leaf$....SN Ontario is carried in HD on NHL CI
-its on HNIC

#7 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

When 2 Canadian teams face each other it will be in SD UNLESS
-its against the Leaf$....SN Ontario is carried in HD on NHL CI
-its on HNIC

I think some NON ontario / CBC feeds have came up from time to time. Likely when they are a Backhaul or raw / wild feed.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

spam firewall