Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing programming package question

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

From what I read, I think you can't change premiums for up to 30 to prevent people from changing once a week, but my question is, does that apply to programming packages themselves? For instance, can I go to from Choice to Entertainment and then a week later switch back to Choice?

I am trying to save some bucks and want to see if I can stand the lower package.

Thank you

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

You can change packages (and premiums) whenever you wish.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

You can change packages (and premiums) whenever you wish.

Okay, so I if I downgrade to Entertainment, I can switch back to Choice to get the Big Ten Network, watch the Badgers game, then go back to Entertainment after the game?

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

AFAIK, yes.

I'd wait for someone else to verify, but I used to do that with HBO all the time (would activate for one weekend, then cancel), but it's been a couple of years.

edit: I just found out they changed the policy a couple of years ago and you were right, you now must keep Premiums at least 30 days. I would think the case would be the same for packages just for the reason you asked.

Edited by spartanstew, 21 January 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

I can see someone trying to get HBO one day a week to get a series. No way would HBO, or any premium allow that.

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I thought you could cancel them in less than 30 days, but you incur a $10 fee if you do so.
DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yes, this is true. You used to be able to add one day and drop the next but because that was abused, there is now a 30 day minimum.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=188704

#8 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Okay, thanks. So they'd charge me $10 to change back to choice even though the difference is $9 between choice and entertainment if I did it in less than 30 days?

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Okay, thanks. So they'd charge me $10 to change back to choice even though the difference is $9 between choice and entertainment if I did it in less than 30 days?

I think the $10 fee is only when canceling premiums (HBO, Showtime, etc.) in less than 30 days, not base packages (Entertainment, Choice, etc.).
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

I haven't heard anything like regular packages having the same restrictions as premiums.

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

From the DirecTV Customer Agreement dated 5-15-12:

1 © :Your Programming Changes You may change your programming selection by notifying us. A fee may apply to such changes (described in Sections 2 & 5(B)). Some programming may be purchased in minimum blocks of one month or multiples of one month.

2 ©(5) Up to $10.00 Change of Service Fee, if you change your Service package to a lower-priced package. See also Section 5 (B).

5 (B) Your Cancellation (excerpt) If you cancel Service or change your Service package, you may be subject to an early cancellation fee if you agreed to a programming agreement with DIRECTV and have failed to maintain the required programming package for the required period of time.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

From the DirecTV Customer Agreement dated 5-15-12:

1 © :Your Programming Changes You may change your programming selection by notifying us. A fee may apply to such changes (described in Sections 2 & 5(B)). Some programming may be purchased in minimum blocks of one month or multiples of one month.

2 ©(5) Up to $10.00 Change of Service Fee, if you change your Service package to a lower-priced package. See also Section 5 (B).

5 (B) Your Cancellation (excerpt) If you cancel Service or change your Service package, you may be subject to an early cancellation fee if you agreed to a programming agreement with DIRECTV and have failed to maintain the required programming package for the required period of time.

Thank you for finding this info. Okay ,so they may charge me up to $10 but they may not?

#13 OFFLINE   jburns

jburns

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Thank you for finding this info. Okay ,so they may charge me up to $10 but they may not?

This is just a guess, but I feel the use of the word "may" means they would not charge you unless you started jumping back and forth. There's probably some threshold that would trigger a charge.

#14 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

I can't imagine they'd let you go from Premier to Choice if you've only had Premier a couple days because of the premium issue without a $10 charge.

#15 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

You can change your base package once per day. I have never been charged that 10.00 fee as mentioned in the Agreement. Obviously, if you abuse that provision, you just might incurr the fee, and deservedly so.

#16 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

You can change your base package as many times as you want, as often as you want, with no additional fee charged outside of the partial charges/credits. Premiums are different. Premiums must be kept at least 30 days. Cancelling them inside of 30 days can be done, but a one time 10$ fee is charged to do so. Note, with Premiere the 10$ fee applies because it has the premium stations in it. Anything below Premiere, there is no fee.
--
So to answer you question, yes, you could switch to a higher base package for a TV show, then call back and switch back down afterwards. The only other thing with base packages is if it's an expired package (Plus DVR, Choice Extra Classic, etc), you have 30 days to go back to that particular package, after 30 days, you have to go to a current package.

#17 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

My idea was to drop to entertainment from choice and then switch back for the occasional badgers' game on the big ten network.

#18 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Premiums are different. Premiums must be kept at least 30 days. Cancelling them inside of 30 days can be done, but a one time 10$ fee is charged to do so.

Kind of...you can switch and equal # of premium services w/o the fee, but the 30 day clock restarts.

That is I could add HBO/CMX and 10 days later change to STZ/SHO without incurring a fee. I would then have to keep STZ/SHO for 30 days from that point or switch to another combination of 2 premiums, to avoid a fee.

#19 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Kind of...you can switch and equal # of premium services w/o the fee, but the 30 day clock restarts.

That is I could add HBO/CMX and 10 days later change to STZ/SHO without incurring a fee. I would then have to keep STZ/SHO for 30 days from that point or switch to another combination of 2 premiums, to avoid a fee.

Correcto. To madison, that would be perfectly fine if you want to do that for badgers games. All you would see is a partial charge for the package your going to, and partial credit for the package your going from each time you do so.

#20 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

My idea was to drop to entertainment from choice and then switch back for the occasional badgers' game on the big ten network.

This is just speculation but I feel that you are asking for a billing headache that you would soon regret that you did. All the credits and extra billing that are supposed to happen as others are stating would almost for certain get out of whack and cost you more than you thought and possibly spend hours on the phone trying to straighten it out.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...