Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No signal on HD receivers, but good signal on SD receivers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Bear with me, as I'm an intermediate-level user.

Suddenly, my HD receiver in my basement stopped pulling in a signal. I saw the "Problem Communicating With Dish (775)" message. I did a red-button reset, and when it got to Step 2, it never got past 0% before it showed the similar "There is a problem communicating with the satellite dish (775)" message.

I checked my other HD receiver. My wife was watching Indy local NBC, but she said it suddenly stopped showing her NBC program and switched to a program from iON. I turned to the local CW affiliate, but it was showing Galavision (or one of the other Spanish channels)! Then it wouldn't tune into anything.

I checked our SD receiver, and it was working just fine.

So I called tech support. They told me to locate the SWM (a PI-21), which is in an Onq box. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. The green light is on and the unit is powered up.

I reset the basement receiver again -- same problem (775).

The SD receiver is still working normally, and it apparently stayed on when the SWM was unplugged. I have also red-buttoned the other HD receiver, but I get 775.

She set up a service call for Wednesday. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts? What about the incorrectly mapped channels that I saw for a couple minutes?

Edited by renbutler, 21 January 2013 - 08:57 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

If you can get into the setup menu, check and see what the signal strengths are for 99C, 101, 103CA, and 103CB. Sounds like a corroded coax connector on the LNB, it isnt getting enough power, or has failed. Just a guess.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Can't get any signal from any transponder. All 0s.

But apparently I'm getting something to the SD receiver, as my wife is still watching Biggest Loser.

FYI, the HD receiver I'm looking at right now is listed as R22 (with HD)/200 on the System Info page.

Edited by renbutler, 21 January 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

I just noticed that one of the HD receivers is now displaying a date of Fri 12/31. :confused:

#5 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

System Test results in SWM Not Detected.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Well, if you want to try to fix it yourself, measure the voltage on the TO DISH port on the power inserter. If its the correct voltage (21V or 29V), then check each and every coax connector between it and the LNB. If they are all ok, check the voltage on the LNB. If its still 21V or 29V, your LNB failed, or the dish moved.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thanks, but that's where the intermediate comes in. :lol:

I wouldn't know how to do any of that. Looks like I'm waiting until Wednesday -- that is, unless I decide to switch to U-Verse in the interim...

#8 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

If its still 21V or 29V, your LNB failed, or the dish moved.

Would I still be getting 90s on the SD receiver if the LNB failed or the dish moved? (I just checked, and that's what I'm seeing on the signal meter.)

Or does it still sound like a coax problem?

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Thanks, but that's where the intermediate comes in. :lol:

I hear ya. Good luck.

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Would I still be getting 90s on the SD receiver if the LNB failed or the dish moved? (I just checked, and that's what I'm seeing on the signal meter.)

Or does it still sound like a coax problem?

It sounds like your SD receiver is hooked to a different dish (like an old 18" maybe?).
If you gets 90s on it, and 0's on satellite 101 on the HD ones, that would not make sense unless you are using a SWM multiswitch with legacy ports, or two dishes.

Maybe you should list exactly what is in your system. Receivers, DVRs, Dishes, splitters, multiswitches, etc.

#11 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

If there's another dish, I've never seen it in almost two years living here. It's definitely not affixed to the exterior of the house!

I can't answer the "SWM multiswitch with legacy ports" portion due to a lack of knowledge.

The dish and cabling were installed for the previous owner of the home. All I did was bring my receivers from my previous home and get a free installation visit. So I don't really have any idea how everything is set up beyond that which I can easily see.

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Yea, I would say you would be best off waiting until Wednesday. Something failed, and you probably would not have the replacement part handy anyways.

#13 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I guess the morning sun thawed out the problem, because my kids were watching a DVR program when suddenly the channel changed and a signal appeared. :lol:

I've had snow/ice issues before, but the symptoms were distinctly different from what I saw last night.

I'll keep the service call scheduled for now and monitor the situation before canceling.

spam firewall