Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Following

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'll have to see myself later this week to compare firsthand...but these other viewers said this new show is waaaaay beyond anything else on TV when it came to the violence.

Bull****.

.but all they people were uncharacteristically upset about this show being on the air. One of them already called their Fox affiliate to complain.

I think you need new friends.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

If what they described was accurate and offends them then I say "quit watching" and let those who aren't offended enjoy the show. There's no need to get some sort of coup going and get the show cancelled just because some people are offended.

I don't need someone deciding what's best for me. I can do that just fine on my own. :D

Indeed. Can't agree more.

#23 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

If what they described was accurate and offends them then I say "quit watching" and let those who aren't offended enjoy the show. There's no need to get some sort of coup going and get the show cancelled just because some people are offended.

I don't need someone deciding what's best for me. I can do that just fine on my own. :D

^^^ This.

#24 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Was the show as gruesome as some articles have warned?

Yes. I really looked forward to this how but it's too much for me to handle. Had to stop watching early on. We watched a new PBS British police drama series, DCI Banks. The story line was just as tragic yet they handled the gore and violence in a much less "in your face" approach. We'll give the second eposoide of The Following" a try. Hopefully it will be okay.

#25 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Some people live in a bubble. Too gruesome? Try life then, it's much worse.
DTV = Digital Television

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,354 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Was the show as gruesome as some articles have warned?

It was for me. Wow, it is pretty far out on the edge. Not sure if I will watch it again.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Worse than The Walking Dead?

#28 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

My wife and I really liked it. It offers some of the feel of "The Killing."

Gruesome? Many "Criminal Minds" episodes and episodes of other shows are just as or more so. Many people are just queasy about getting stabbed in the eye - hence, the focus on Poe's take on the eye. But getting stabbed in the gut is not less gruesome.

Ironically, the LA Times' Carolyn Kellogg writes about this show incorrectly interpreting Poe. Of course, she is equally wrong about it when she says: "The show's core idea of a serial killer came long after Poe himself. Poe died in 1849, and the term serial killer took hold more than 100 years later, after midcentury murder sprees by the likes of John Wayne Gacy and Ted Bundy.'

The term "serial killer" may be newer but it's definition describes criminal activity that has been recorded in the Western World at least since the 16th Century. We just didn't classify criminal activity using that term until after the science of psychology developed and became accepted in the early 20th Century.

But I digress. Returning to Poe, and the eye, let me quote someone else:

The human eye has long been seen as the window to the soul, reflecting truths and secrets the body attempts to hide. Poe was not blind to the this view of the eye and widely used this belief in his tales such as “The Black Cat” and “Ligeia,” emphasizing the eyes powers to reflect unspeakable emotions. Perhaps Poe's most haunting use of the mysterious eye is in his most famous short story “The Tell-Tale Heart.” It is the the pale blue, vulture eye of the old man that drives the narrator to insanity and causes the narrator to gruesomely murder the old man.

This was a well-written, well-directed, and well-acted pilot. Without becoming heavy-handed we were given a lot of knowledge about the primary characters.

I'm looking forward to future episodes.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#29 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I haven't watched the recorded show, but heard from 3 other people who did and another co-worker who saw it too. All 4 people said the very same thing - what the heck was FOX thinking putting this show on the air, not to mention before 11pm?

There's enough crazies out there without adding this kind of insane violence.

If they're insisting on broadcasting it....do it late at night.

I watched it last night and will continue doing so, very good story so far.. And as far as broadcasting it late at night, we live in a BIG BROTHER America and here are their TV rating rules http://www.tvguidelines.org/

Just saying :)

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#30 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

If they're insisting on broadcasting it....do it late at night.

You recorded the show. Are you going to wait until after 11PM to watch it?

#31 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Posted Image:lol:

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#32 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

...This was a ... well-directed, ...pilot. Without becoming heavy-handed we were given a lot of knowledge about the primary characters...

This is where we part ways. The directing was amateurish, and used every heavy-handed slasher-film cliche in the toolkit, including startling for shock value and jacking up the volume at that point to try to knock the viewer out of their chair. At least 3 times. That is only a pale imitation of good directing or true entertainment. The "M" episode of Elementary last week is a good example of how much better this sort of story can be handled.

But it is also well known that FOX and others force the creators to shoehorn that sort of stuff in, so maybe now that the pilot did mildly better than Alcatraz or Terra Nova, and significantly better than Mob Doctor, they will lay off that. If they don't, and if this doesn't get a lot better quickly, those ratings will go down at least by one viewer.

But hey, other than that, I agreed with most of your post, which was the best post here so far.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#33 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Interesting discourse as a result of what I thought was captivating escapism which is after all what a good show is to me.

A bit gruesome I would say, likely never get my wife to watch it for sure but seriously "grabbing the pitchforks" is a GREAT way to create interest in the many who missed it. Publicity that is controversial will generate more interest in the show than the network could ever buy.

I would suspect the gruesome "hook" will dissipate as the show finds its pulse (if allowed). Yeah it had some of the genre cliche stuff but really what new is there anymore? (Rocky 97 (the Rest Home Chronicles))? :nono:

Don "Right now it remains on my series record" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#34 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I recorded it, and am trying not to read the comments posted here. That is, until I have watched the show :)!

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#35 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

I have little to contribute except that it was WAY too over-the-top graphic and gruesome for me. I didn't make it through the pilot, and I deleted the SP for it.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#36 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I gotta say I watched the whole Pilot with my wife and not only did we love it, it never even really occurred to either one of us that it was too graphic or violent or anything of that nature. Maybe that's because some of our other favorites are Walking Dead, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Criminal Minds and CSI (and yes, I know some of those are on Premium channels). I didn't see anything in The Following that I haven't seen before and to be honest, the language in shows like 2 Broke Girls and The B**** bother me much more than anything I saw in The Following.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#37 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

This one goes into my Who Cares category. as I'll probably spend more time on the Internet then watching it.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#38 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I can only imagine that the people claiming it is too gruesome have spent most of their adult lives watching made-for-tv movies on the Hallmark Channel or reruns of Matlock.
DTV = Digital Television

#39 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I gotta say I watched the whole Pilot with my wife and not only did we love it, it never even really occurred to either one of us that it was too graphic or violent or anything of that nature. Maybe that's because some of our other favorites are Walking Dead, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Criminal Minds and CSI (and yes, I know some of those are on Premium channels). I didn't see anything in The Following that I haven't seen before and to be honest, the language in shows like 2 Broke Girls and The B**** bother me much more than anything I saw in The Following.

Same here, not more graphic then what's been on TV the past 10+ years

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#40 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Nope. Got the chance to see it tonight.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

spam firewall