Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Following

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,183 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

This one goes into my Who Cares category. as I'll probably spend more time on the Internet then watching it.

than

Same here, not more graphic then what's been on TV the past 10+ years

than

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,091 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I gotta say I watched the whole Pilot with my wife and not only did we love it, it never even really occurred to either one of us that it was too graphic or violent or anything of that nature. Maybe that's because some of our other favorites are Walking Dead, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Criminal Minds and CSI (and yes, I know some of those are on Premium channels). I didn't see anything in The Following that I haven't seen before and to be honest, the language in shows like 2 Broke Girls and The B**** bother me much more than anything I saw in The Following.

I just watched a Criminal Minds and I agree, they are both similar for the gruesome stuff.

I like programs like Castle, Suits, White Collar, etc. a lot better.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#43 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

And.............. (this symbolizes an awkward pause while we wait for the next commen)

#44 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,517 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

I gotta say I watched the whole Pilot with my wife and not only did we love it, it never even really occurred to either one of us that it was too graphic or violent or anything of that nature. Maybe that's because some of our other favorites are Walking Dead, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Criminal Minds and CSI (and yes, I know some of those are on Premium channels). I didn't see anything in The Following that I haven't seen before and to be honest, the language in shows like 2 Broke Girls and The B**** bother me much more than anything I saw in The Following.

Makes one wonder about society when people find language offensive but not graphic violence.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#45 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Makes one wonder about society when people find language offensive but not graphic violence.

Ever visit Europe? You'll find over there that language and nudity are no big deal but violence is a big no-no.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#46 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Ever visit Europe? You'll find over there that language and nudity are no big deal but violence is a big no-no.

Tell that to the team responsible for "Ripper Street."

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#47 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Tell that to the team responsible for "Ripper Street."

That was made by BBC America for American audiences, not distribution in the UK. They know how we like our violence.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#48 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

This one goes into my Who Cares category. as I'll probably spend more time on the Internet then watching it.

than

Same here, not more graphic then what's been on TV the past 10+ years

than

"I'd rather cuddle than have sex."

or

"I'd rather cuddle then have sex."

One word does make a difference.

#49 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Did anyone watch this week's episode of "Criminal Minds" running from 9-10 pm and, as I did, think about the criticism of Fox here for "The Following" being too gruesome? And about the eye issue....;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#50 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

Wow.

A keeper.

I am trying not to get to interested in it because of FOX's recent track record with the new shows they push hard prior to starting (Alcatraz & Chicago Code).

I loved both Chicago Code and Alcatraz and then they were just gone as soon as they began. The Following started great but we will see if they plan a 2nd season. The last thing I want is it to turn into a Prison Break type show that stayed way to long. Hopefully FOX will get it right this time.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#51 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I am trying not to get to interested in it because of FOX's recent track record with the new shows they push hard prior to starting (Alcatraz & Chicago Code).

I loved both Chicago Code and Alcatraz and then they were just gone as soon as they began. The Following started great but we will see if they plan a 2nd season. The last thing I want is it to turn into a Prison Break type show that stayed way to long. Hopefully FOX will get it right this time.

Yep, I do miss Alcatraz.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#52 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

That was made by BBC America for American audiences, not distribution in the UK. They know how we like our violence.

Ripper Street is also running in the UK on BBC1.

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#53 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Missy and I just watched The Following. We just don't see what the big deal is. " Bones" and " Criminal Minds" (just to name two shows) are just as, if not more graphic than this show.
We both like the show and are looking forward to a successful run.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#54 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Off Topic

I think the people at 1600 Penn didn't get the message their show was cancelled. Yes, it's that moronic. :hurah:

#55 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Off Topic

I think the people at 1600 Penn didn't get the message their show was cancelled. Yes, it's that moronic. :hurah:

It's supposed to be, that's the point.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#56 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

My wife and I were big Fringe fans, and she liked Alcatraz.

But neither of us were that into The Following.

I'll give it at least another week though.

#57 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

I can't really compare this show to the scifi show Fox has aired that I really loved.

"The Following" is a psychological crime procedural of sorts with an overarching story arc about a cult of followers of a serial killer, with all the humor and charm of "Criminal Minds" (also on at 9 pm on a broadcast network) and the warm appeal of the Manson Family.

For Fox I see it more like "Prison Break" in that they're trying to get an audience for a Monday time slot with something not too different than what wins time slots for CBS.

Apparently some sensitive folks think its far more violent than "Prison Break." They either didn't watch Fox on Mondays from the fall of 2005 through the spring of 2009 or have short memories as "Prison Break" won a People's Choice Award in 2006.

Admittedly this show is likely to have a few more Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell's, that lovable, cunning, violent, and manipulative psychopath.

Again, I liked the premier episode - thought it was well put together for a pilot. Given the amount of back story crammed into an hour, it didn't feel nearly as heavy handed as some pilots.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#58 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

Because FOX ends their broadcast at 10pm? :D

Have you seen Bones, Castle, Hawaii Five-O, or pretty much any other crime drama?

The Following has much more gore than any of those shows.

This isn't your typical TV crime drama and has little in common with Bones, Castle, Hawaii Five-0.

It's more like “Red Dragon” (or the ’86 version “Manhunter”) was made into a TV series with all the darkness and most of the gore.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,602 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

The Following has much more gore than any of those shows.

This isn't your typical TV crime drama and has little in common with Bones, Castle, Hawaii Five-0.

It's more like “Red Dragon” (or the ’86 version “Manhunter”) was made into a TV series with all the darkness and most of the gore.

Mike

Totally agree.

A 9:00pm timeslot seems inappropriate.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#60 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Totally agree.

A 9:00pm timeslot seems inappropriate.

...that is the latest time-slot available to FOX.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall