Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Following

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

It sounds like you are basing your investment in the ratings; as if cancelling it would mean that you wasted time watching the first eps. We are pretty much guaranteed by FOX that 15 eps will air.

As Lost taught us, you should probably base whether you want to watch a show on whether you are enjoying yourself. Even if a show is going nowhere, it can be entertaining as encapsulated episodes. It's not like reading a mystery novel and being afraid that someone will rip the book out of your hands before you get to the last chapters, and even in that case, the same Q applies: are you enjoying yourself enough to stay invested? If not, the answer as to what to do is obvious.

That said, I will sometimes put a "watch" embargo on shows I have recorded if I think they might get cancelled, but that applies to shows with little other redeeming value than the overaching story, that I am on the fence about. It is not uncommon for me to hold a whole season of some luke-warm CW show, and end up dumping the entire series when it is obvious that I will never want to watch it. 2 TB HDDs allow that.

On the other hand, I got to ep 4 of Last Resort and decided to hold off watching; it looked like it was doomed, which it was. But I had eventually had all 13 eps and started watching it again, because it still was above the Mendoza line, even being cancelled. It often does not matter if the story eventually goes nowhere if it is still a good story otherwise.

The House of Cards experiment on Netflix is interesting in that they made all 13 eps available at once, and lots of folks ate that up. That says something for the release model, but it sure does not brighten the dim future of the conventional advertising model.

Edited by TomCat, 12 February 2013 - 06:51 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

We are pretty much guaranteed by FOX that 15 eps will air.

Where is this guarantee stated?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#123 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Where is this guarantee stated?

Not sure. That is what I understand is pledged by them, along with the intent (whatever that means) to air them on 15 weeks without a break. I think Kevin Bacon also mentioned this in his The Daily Show interview, but memory sometimes doesn't serve, so no guarantee there either.

But there is this new thing called Google that might lead you to a clue. Give that a try.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#124 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

As many of us had predicted, another dip in the ratings. Trending in a direction they probably did not have in mind. It appears that folks tuned out after Bones on FOX (and The Carrie Diaries on CW) and moved over to CBS. Me among them, although I don't watch any of those shows anyway, and now including TF.

#125 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Not sure. That is what I understand is pledged by them, along with the intent (whatever that means) to air them on 15 weeks without a break. I think Kevin Bacon also mentioned this in his The Daily Show interview, but memory sometimes doesn't serve, so no guarantee there either.

But there is this new thing called Google that might lead you to a clue. Give that a try.

Ahhh, another one of your "facts". You're the one who brought it up, you use Google to find it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#126 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

The only thing I have found is that Bacon committed to 15 episodes.

http://m.deadline.co...anny-to-series/
DTV = Digital Television

#127 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

The only thing I have found is that Bacon committed to 15 episodes.

http://m.deadline.co...anny-to-series/

Yeah, that's what I had heard too. Bacon committing to 15 episodes is a bit different from FOX committing to air 15 episodes though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#128 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, that's what I had heard too. Bacon committing to 15 episodes is a bit different from FOX committing to air 15 episodes though.

I agree. That's simply the workload he agreed to. FOX can pull the plug anytime they wish.
DTV = Digital Television

#129 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

When they were really hyping up the show and airing previews, as well as the night of the first episode, the announcer stated it would air new episodes for 15 weeks straight. I'm not saying that constitutes a "promise" by NBC (I learned my lesson from being "promised" I would know who killed Rosie Larsen by the end of season 1). But that is where people are coming up with the idea.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#130 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 608 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

I'm not saying that constitutes a "promise" by NBC

I absolutely, positively guarantee that it does not constitute a promise by NBC.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#131 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Liked this weeks show but getting a bit tired of the characters being surprised every time a family member or friend/coworker either gets taken hostage or murdered. Goes along with how many times can the cops be betrayed either by one of their own or a "victim" before they wake up. Glad they are rerunning during the weekend because my timer missed 2 weeks ago.

#132 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Ahhh, another one of your "facts". You're the one who brought it up, you use Google to find it.

That is how Fox has been advertising it on air. Their commercials, at least as part of the ad blitz in the beginning, were to air the episodes non-stop. IIRC, the commercials were saying something like it would broadcast non-stop until April.

Of course that doesn’t mean much. Regardless of what was in the ad campaign they could still pull it if it isn’t making the ratings.

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#133 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

I'm betting they'll air it. The ratings are declining but not awful yet and what else are the going to do? In March "Dancing with the Stars" comes back on ABC and they certainly do not want to start something new at that point in time.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#134 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

But I am not the one who is so worried about this; that would be you. I stopped watching 2 weeks ago. Just to get you up to date, that means I D O N' T C A R E.

And I am not sure why you are having so much difficulty understanding the difference between what is rumored and what is fact. This is W H A T - I - H E A R D, and nothing else, and I never represented it as anything more than that. I was trying to help answer your question by telling you what I heard. What part of that is the part you don't get? When something is a fact, I will claim it as a fact. When it isn't, I don't, and I didn't. Sue me.

#135 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

And I am not sure why you are having so much difficulty understanding the difference between what is rumored and what is fact. This is W H A T - I - H E A R D, and nothing else, and I never represented it as anything more than that.

What you originally wrote sure doesn't seem like you were talking about a rumor or something you heard. Seems like you were stating a fact.

I guess the "pretty much" is your loophole?

In the future, if you'd like others to understand what you mean, it might be better to state "I've heard FOX is committed to airing 15 episodes", or something of that nature.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#136 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

But I am not the one who is so worried about this; that would be you. I stopped watching 2 weeks ago. Just to get you up to date, that means I D O N' T C A R E.

And I am not sure why you are having so much difficulty understanding the difference between what is rumored and what is fact. This is W H A T - I - H E A R D, and nothing else, and I never represented it as anything more than that. I was trying to help answer your question by telling you what I heard. What part of that is the part you don't get? When something is a fact, I will claim it as a fact. When it isn't, I don't, and I didn't. Sue me.

Oh, I'm not worried. I just don't appreciate someone thread crapping with "facts" that they aren't willing to back up. You DID state it as if it was written in stone so we have every right to ask for proof. The phrase "what I hear" was not in your statement of guarantee.

You said:

It sounds like you are basing your investment in the ratings; as if cancelling it would mean that you wasted time watching the first eps. We are pretty much guaranteed by FOX that 15 eps will air.

If you stopped watching maybe it's time you stop thread crapping too.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#137 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Liked this weeks show but getting a bit tired of the characters being surprised every time a family member or friend/coworker either gets taken hostage or murdered. Goes along with how many times can the cops be betrayed either by one of their own or a "victim" before they wake up. Glad they are rerunning during the weekend because my timer missed 2 weeks ago.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they develop the story because there's only so much you can do with it. This would've been better as a movie...

#138 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Well you just articulated my feelings- that I hadn't quite defined yet!! I think I am done with it after last night. Mostly because of just what you said. The only thing I would add is that as a viewer I need some sort of reward. Something hopeful or at the very least the possibility of some small victory.

Last night was too dark and awful for me. I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

My wife and I are probably done too. Same reason. We stopped with Criminal Minds also, too dark for us. I remember the reason I stopped watching Law & Order as it seemed the criminals were always getting off on some technicality and I ended up feeling disgusted. All well done shows mind you, just not my cup of tea.

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

#139 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

...I guess the "pretty much" is your loophole?.

Exactly. Now you're getting it.

If FOX pledges that they will air 15 eps, then as long as they hold to their promise, we will see them. But I can't be held responsible for them backtracking, so rather than posting it as a Proclamation From On High (as many of you choose to post), I added that disclaimer. I did not do that because I felt I needed to protect myself or any "facts", I did it so you, the reader, would not blindly assume it was a fact. I did it for you. Again, sue me.

We're not exactly under oath here anyway, but that is certainly an appropriate way to indicate that this is what I have heard. I never put myself forward as an expert fortune teller, just as one more person who heard one more thing that might add to the conversation.

If you have a problem with that, then you have a problem with that. But you might be able to guess how I feel about whether you do by rereading my last post about how I feel about The Following. And you don't have to be current viewer to have an opinion about what you've already seen. I can still comment on that; it's the internet, ferchrissakes. Forums are 95% opinion, and most of them are based on flawed information anyway.

In the future, if you'd like others to understand what you mean, it might be better to state "I've heard FOX is committed to airing 15 episodes", or something of that nature...

Of course, "in the future", unless you can figure out how to post "in the past". But as much as I appreciate you lecturing me on how you interpret the rules as they apply to everyone else, I will continue to ignore your advice and do whatever the eff I feel like doing. Deal. Comprehension is only partly my responsibility; the reader has to meet me half way and summon up the basic understanding ability that even the pointiest-headed little trolls regularly seem to be able to come up with.

When I post facts I post them AS facts. When I post opinion I post it AS opinion. When I post what I have heard that is unsubstantiated (sorry if that word had more than six letters) I post it AS rumor (although it usually doesn't matter, and most folks post opinion and rumor as if it WERE actually a fact). I am actually very conscientious about that, but it's up to the reader to have enough basic smarts to be able to distinguish the difference. If the simple and basic interpretation of "pretty much" whizzed over your head like the russian meteor, I'm afraid I can't really help you with that.

#140 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

I still haven't found anything to suggest that, "We are pretty much guaranteed by FOX that 15 eps will air." I will keep looking however.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall