Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No sound on one OTA channel via HR20

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mgroups

mgroups

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Channel 32-4 Bay Area (which shows Classic Arts Showcase 24/7) no longer has sound when tuned on my HR20. The picture is fine. I do get sound when running the antenna directly to the TV, and it did have sound via the HR20 until about a week ago. This is the only channel with this problem.

I found some old posts about some OTA channels having no sound but no solution for mine.

Classic Arts Showcase is on channel 32-4 24/7, though it is called "SIGN OFF" in the guide. Dish and Comcast get this channel directly off the satellite and carry it 24/7 but according to the people at CAS, D* declines to carry it even though it is free :nono2:.

Edited by mgroups, 22 January 2013 - 01:59 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

I assumed you did a restart of the HR20?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   mgroups

mgroups

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

I assumed you did a restart of the HR20?

Yes, a few times. That didn't fix the problem.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,500 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

How is the HR20's Audio OUT connected to your TV? Have you tried changing the "Dolby Digital" setting in the HR20's Audio Setup Menu?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   mgroups

mgroups

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

How is the HR20's Audio OUT connected to your TV? Have you tried changing the "Dolby Digital" setting in the HR20's Audio Setup Menu?

I use the analog audio outputs on the DVR. There is no sound to the TV on that channel via analog audio whether Dolby Digital set on or off in the DVR.

However, I just discovered that the DVR outputs sound on channel 32-4 from the HDMI and toslink outputs, just not from the analog audio outputs. Again, this problem occurs only on channel 32-4. All other channels have sound on analog audio out.

One more observation: Old recordings of channel 32-4 still produce sound on audio out when played back.

Edited by mgroups, 22 January 2013 - 05:28 PM.
addendum

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

If the restart does not fix it, you may need a new box. It sounds like the 2.0 downmix of the AC-3 sound pids for this channel is not programmed right; either that or the box is bad. You could post this in the AVS reception thread for your city and see if others are experiencing this. If others post the same issue with DTV boxes, that points to a bad downmix programming error.

Everything else tends to lead toward the problem not being anywhere else but the box itself or the downmix; it is very difficult NOT to get L if you get R, because they are normally part of a single AES stream whenever not part of the AC-3 (where they are again part of a single stream) so it is hard to lose one channel without losing the other, and you have verified that it is not the analog outputs themselves that are not working (they are). One significant point is inside the DVR where the AC-3 is converted to analog; either the channel is lost there due to bad downmix programming, which implies DTV needs to correct their programming error, or a faulty pick-off, which implies the need for a swap.

I guess it could be a problem at the source, but if so one would think that direct reception or other vendors would also see this problem. The fact that old recordings are OK indicate that something changed somewhere, and the most likely spot is not the station's PSIP but how DTV is interpreting that, unless others are not having the same problem over analog outs.

Edited by TomCat, 23 January 2013 - 01:34 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   mgroups

mgroups

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

...Everything else tends to lead toward the problem not being anywhere else but the box itself or the downmix; it is very difficult NOT to get L if you get R

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Both L and R are affected, and only on channel 32-4. It may be the box, but I would not preclude the possibility that this particular local station is the source of the problem. Also, the fact that 32-4 is called "SIGN OFF" in the guide 24 hours a day suggests the channel is an orphan or a placeholder for something other than Classic Arts Showcase.

...which implies the need for a swap.

I like having OTA built into the DVR and I would lose many many hours of recordings. If there were a quantum improvement in a new D* DVR I would switch it out for that reason, but not for the chance that it would fix this problem.

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

...Both L and R are affected...

OK, now I get it; I misinterpreted "audio on one channel missing" as one of the actual audio channels missing, rather than full audio missing on one TV channel. My bad.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#9 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

The fact that only one station is doing this, points to that station as the culprit. It could be a combination of something the station is doing and a peculiar feature of the box, but I'd rather guess it's station itself and the way in which they're encoding their audio. You might give a shot at contacting the chief engineer of the station and see if they have any ideas. It might be something they're familiar with through other complaints. Ask them if any changes were made around the time this happened.

spam firewall