Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adding Cable to Another Room

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   davidj7479

davidj7479

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Good mornig all.

My current equipment
(2) -HR24-200
(1) - H25-500

I'm trying to run another cable to a different room so that I can take the receiver to this room occasionally.

My head is swimming (no pun intended) from all the wires under the house.
It looks like there is one wire from the dish. On the H25 and H24 there is one coax on each.

On one of the H24, the cable comes from the wall into a power inverter, from there to a green 2-way splitter, from there one wire goes to HDVR, one wire goes to a little box that has an ethernet cable connected.

Questions
1) Can I change the 2-way splitter to a 4-way splitter and add two additional rooms?
2) If so, does it matter which wire that has the DC power pass connected to on the splitter?
3) Does it matter what type of coax I use? Can they be crimped connectors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,019 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

1. Yes, but make sure it is a DirecTV approved green labeled splitter.
2. Yes, one port will be color coded red for power passing. That is where the power inserter needs to go.
3. Yes, you want to use RG6 and do NOT use crimp connectors, use compression connectors.

#3 OFFLINE   davidj7479

davidj7479

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Great, thanks Carl.

To clarify #2, for the input on the 4-way, it will come from the power inverter, but one of the ouputs has the DC pass, does it matter which, if any receiver it goes to?

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Remember -When you take the receiver from one room to the other-Place a terminator on the end of the unused run.

It will keep the signal from leaking onto the floor :lol: (all un used ports should be terminated)
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#5 OFFLINE   davidj7479

davidj7479

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Thanks WestDC, never heard of them. Started looking around the net. So i would put a coupler and the terminator on the room that is does not have the receiver?

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks WestDC, never heard of them. Started looking around the net. So i would put a coupler and the terminator on the room that is does not have the receiver?

RadioShack sells them.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...