Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AM21 and HR34 audio dropouts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Same problem as poster here. Not sure if I'm just not finding a similar thread here or if it doesn't exist.

http://www.satellite...pouts-with-HR34

Basically, tune an OTA channel with a AM21 hooked to a HR34 and eventually I get audio dropouts/skips and eventually no audio at all.

Been this way the past few months, which is as long as I've had this combination connected.

At this point I'm just wondering if it is worth swapping out the AM21 under the protection plan to see if it is something with my AM21. But, I don't recall having this issue hooked up to HR2x I used to have the AM21 hooked to.
Love DirecTV on Demand? ISPs don't.

As you read posts claiming that OTA/ATSC is not important, remember that you are at the mercy of the individual stations and their negotiation status with DirecTV (not to mention missing out on subchannels). And these negotiations are not "one and done" but will come up every once in a while--and at that point you can lose your stations completely if there is an impasse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

AM21's are not covered by the regular PP, only the Premier plan.

#3 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Oh, that's a brilliant and legitimate exclusion. Don't even know why I pay for that plan.

As you read posts claiming that OTA/ATSC is not important, remember that you are at the mercy of the individual stations and their negotiation status with DirecTV (not to mention missing out on subchannels). And these negotiations are not "one and done" but will come up every once in a while--and at that point you can lose your stations completely if there is an impasse.

#4 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Same problem as poster here. Not sure if I'm just not finding a similar thread here or if it doesn't exist.

http://www.satellite...pouts-with-HR34

Basically, tune an OTA channel with a AM21 hooked to a HR34 and eventually I get audio dropouts/skips and eventually no audio at all.

Been this way the past few months, which is as long as I've had this combination connected.

At this point I'm just wondering if it is worth swapping out the AM21 under the protection plan to see if it is something with my AM21. But, I don't recall having this issue hooked up to HR2x I used to have the AM21 hooked to.

I have had my HR34 and AM21 since last April. I have always had the problem you are explaining. Some channels are worse than others as far as how long it takes to start the audio dropouts. I find that pressing the skip ahead button when watching live tv brings the audio back. The dropouts are much better when watching a recording recorded off of the AM21. The drop outs aren't on the recorded material per se and skipping back during live tv shows the audio is there.

#5 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I guess my problem with it then is if it is specific to the HR34/AM21 combination why can't it be fixed? I know DirecTV was telling people at one point it was not a supported combination so if that is still the official line there is no hope I guess.

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Have an HR34/AM21 with no issues.
Connection to TV is HDMI, no AVR in between.
I then take the output of the tv over optical to AVR and again no issues with audio. PCM or DD 5.1 (Some Sony's pass DD 5.1, don't highjack the thread please).

#7 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

This problem has been around for what seems forever and as far as I know it's not just an 34/21 problem!

I had the same problem with an HR23/21 combo that I now have with the 34/21. There is a very long thread around here somewhere talking about audio dropouts. I personally don't think it has anything to do with the 34.

#8 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I was kind of curious about this. I rarely use OTA. I only installed it in the begining for HD locals. Today all my locals are carried in HD. The only reason I hooked the AM21 up to the HR34 was a CBS contract dispute last year.

When you started this thread I was off, so I put CBS(5-1) on in the background HR34/AM21. I dont ever watch daytime tv. Worked perfect. Blew this thread off.

I'm off again today so this morning I watched the CBS news OTA. Worked perfect till Doc Phill came on and I got sick. Switched to the Today Show on NBC(17-1). Did some work around the house and when I walked back into the room after thirty or forty minutes the audio was missing. Changing the channel brought it back. I left it there did some more stuff then snuck up on it again, same damn thing. Turning the HR34 off and on brought the audio back. I tried ABC(11-1) same thing happened.

Recording the program the audio was there on playback.

HR34 HDMI to TV. Audio Digital to Sony AVR.

Scratching Head. Convinced your not a nut. ;)
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#9 OFFLINE   egclone

egclone

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts
  • LocationJohnston, IA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

I just had my HR24-500 replaced with an HR44-500 and have the AM21and now I'm having the audio dropout problem with OTA channels. I never had this issue with the HR24-500. It is amazing to me the number of installers that have never heard of the AM21.

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

Installers, CSRs, supervisors, quite a large percentage of D* staff has never heard of an AM21.

I have 3, I think all 3 are on HR22s, (one might be a 23?) and none have the problem, although only one is connected to an AVR.

spam firewall