Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Self-Upgrading from Legacy to SWM + HR34

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Ok guys... just want to make sure I've got everything straight, and won't run into any issues. I'm currently set up on a legacy HD setup, running on an SL5 slimline dish/lnb.

I just purchased an upgrade "kit" which includes an SL5 SWM LNB, 8 port splitter & power inserter. Is that all I need to convert to an SWM setup? Do I have to do anything with DirecTV to tell them I have a SWM setup, or can I just call to activate my new HR34 once all is set up?

Also, I am currently running MRV with cat5e, is it correct that the HR34 will act as a DECA bridge if I connect the ethernet port to my router, it will share the internet connection with my H24s?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Ok guys... just want to make sure I've got everything straight, and won't run into any issues. I'm currently set up on a legacy HD setup, running on an SL5 slimline dish/lnb.

I just purchased an upgrade "kit" which includes an SL5 SWM LNB, 8 port splitter & power inserter. Is that all I need to convert to an SWM setup? Do I have to do anything with DirecTV to tell them I have a SWM setup, or can I just call to activate my new HR34 once all is set up?

Also, I am currently running MRV with cat5e, is it correct that the HR34 will act as a DECA bridge if I connect the ethernet port to my router, it will share the internet connection with my H24s?

Thanks!

By "legacy hd setup" do you mean it's non-SWM?

Otherwise yes, you can just connect the setup and call to activate. For whole home you have to make sure they set the account to MRV enabled. Yes the HR34 can have a direct connection through ethernet to enable internet across your system. Are you getting a SWM 5lnb or just running a SWM-8 off your current 5 lnb?

#3 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, running on a non-SWM HD setup now. I purchased an HR34, SL5S SWM LNB, and 8-way splitter. Account is already MRV enabled.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

So all your boxes are H24s (other than the HR34)?

Keep in mind, this would still be considered unsupported.

#5 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

So all your boxes are H24s (other than the HR34)?

Keep in mind, this would still be considered unsupported.

Which part is unsupported? Hooking up my router to the HR34 to bridge the internet connection on my other receivers?

And no, they're not all H24s, but I also have one of these for my H23.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

You will still be on unsupported MRV, like you are now. You may have the same setup as supported, but it's only supported if an installer does it.

I believe bridging is supported, though I believe installers are not supposed to do it that way, and most reps and techs likely don't know of it and think the DECA gets disabled like on other boxes.

Not saying that's an issue, but figured I should put it out there.

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

You said you're currently running MRV and you're adding an HR34/Genie. You don't list any current DVRs.

Could you list all the boxes you're going to have when you get done? Just wanted to confirm the tuner count to ensure you don't require a SWiM16 multi-switch.

#8 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

to the op, as has been mentioned above, keep in mind a typical swm system can only support 8 tuners ( not receivers, tuners ) genie=5 tuners, HDdvr=2 tuners, hd&standard=1 tuner. Example genie and hddvr and a hd would equal 8 tuners (5+2+1) this system will work fine. genie and 2 hddvr = 9 tuners (5+2+2) this system work work in a typical swm system, for this system you will need a swm 16. So after you get done what receivers are you going to have hooked up.

#9 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Should be OK, will have just enough tuners:

1 x HR34 (5 tuners)
2 x H24 (2 tuners)
1 x H23 (1 tuner)

I guess "supported" is just a word, I don't really plan on contacting DirecTV for support so that shouldn't be a problem, as long as it works ;)

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Are you getting the 34 from a reseller?

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Just checking. "Currently running MRV" got me thinking you already had a DVR.

#12 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Are you getting the 34 from a reseller?

Yes. Got it for $249.

Just checking. "Currently running MRV" got me thinking you already had a DVR.

I currently have an HR24, but I'm completely replacing it with the HR34, so it will no longer be in the picture.

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,895 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Personally I would keep the HR24 and get rid of one of the H2x units. You can configure the HR24 to use one tuner to stay within the 8 tuner limit of the SWM. That way you retain the ability to pause/rewind/ff live tv viewing at that location, plus you get another tuner for recording.

#14 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Personally I would keep the HR24 and get rid of one of the H2x units. You can configure the HR24 to use one tuner to stay within the 8 tuner limit of the SWM. That way you retain the ability to pause/rewind/ff live tv viewing at that location, plus you get another tuner for recording.

That's a good idea, didn't realize I could tell it to only use one tuner. Equipment comes on Friday, including the HR34 I got for $249 off ebay, hopefully don't run into any issues (I still don't understandhhow these sellers are so much cheaper than buying directly from DTV)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...