Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish to close 300 Blockbuster stores

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Dish Network Corp. will shutter about 300 Blockbuster stores in the coming weeks, resulting in a loss of about 3,000 employees, Dish spokesman John Hall said Monday.

The closures, which cover underperforming outlets or those that are nearing the end of their leases, will leave 500 Blockbuster stores in the U.S. The company has 26 locations in Colorado.

Dish "continues to see value in the Blockbuster brand, and we continue to analyze the store-level profitability as we have in the past," Hall said.

http://www.denverpos...urce=commented-
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

And to think of all the movie rental businesses that the first generation of Blockbuster put out of business! May seem odd to most but I enjoyed going to a rental store and looking over the new and old movies. Damn you Blockbuster.

#3 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

I'm surprised any video rental store can make it financially. Too much competition from kiosks, local businesses that rent as a sideline, online streaming. However, when the video store here in town closed after 20 years another took over the space within 6 months. The new one is a Family Video franchise. I don't shop there so I don't know their format, but I've noticed them coming into other towns and apparently making it work.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

Problem with most of the vending machines is they only have the most current stuff.

When I was still renting videotapes, I went into the dusty box sections and found the out of print stuff that couldn't be found elsewhere. That stuff probably got tossed in the dumpsters or ended up on somebody's garage sale .50 table.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Problem with most of the vending machines is they only have the most current stuff.

When I was still renting videotapes, I went into the dusty box sections and found the out of print stuff that couldn't be found elsewhere. That stuff probably got tossed in the dumpsters or ended up on somebody's garage sale .50 table.

+1

That's what I like the Blockbuster mail program for. (Except they should improve the turn-around time, search interface and selection). I love the old stuff and don't care for the new. All the splashy movies seem to come out on FX after a few months anyway.

Dish should be looking at a subscribers rental history & satellite packages and try to target promotions and such. A home that subscribes to HBO and other movie channels probably wants different rentals than a sports-centric home or someone with a basic package. There should be some upsell opportunities there.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

I still say Dish should be using the Blockbuster locations more as regional/local "hubs" for Dish network business. Base their installers out of local Blockbuster locations and use them for drop-points... also as a showroom to showcase Dish equipment AND provide a retail location where customers can come in and speak to a real person to sign up for Dish Network.

The DVD/Blu-ray/video-game rental business can just be a side-bar "we also do that" kind of thing that helps pay some of the bills but doesn't have to be inherently profitable in and of itself.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

The problem with that, of course, is that Blockbuster locations are mostly in rented strip mall slots. Why would one pay for such space to house installers or to try to sell a product like that, when installers could be based from far less expensive light industrial space and more sales could be gained by advertizing, or demoing the product in malls or Sam's Clubs.

#8 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Are we going to get a list of stores being closed and when?

#9 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Does it really matter at this point?

#10 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Does it really matter at this point?

To all the people losing their jobs? Yes.
DTV = Digital Television

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,118 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Are we going to get a list of stores being closed and when?

They closed five stores in my area.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   satjay

satjay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

I have one located about five minutes from my house and has real good traffic. I think people still like to still go in pick up DVDs and look and browse hope its not one that will be closing

#13 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I think people still like to still go in pick up DVDs and look and browse

They do here also. But they happen to it at the local Family Video. The BBV stores here are slow on Friday and Saturday nights and dead most of the other time. While just a couple miles away, the Family Video is doing booming business.

#14 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,610 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

They already closed here in Illinois several years ago that I don't even remember when, I thought that it was a defunct video stores years ago, apparently not in some states.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#15 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

And another problem is waiting if someone is using the kiosk just to return a movie. Or having to go to another one if it's out of order. But stores, kiosks, and streaming all have their pros and cons.

#16 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

The problem with that, of course, is that Blockbuster locations are mostly in rented strip mall slots. Why would one pay for such space to house installers or to try to sell a product like that, when installers could be based from far less expensive light industrial space and more sales could be gained by advertizing, or demoing the product in malls or Sam's Clubs.

Think ours will be on the list? I went there maybe twice this past year.

I find it much easier to rent what I want from my Apple TV.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#17 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Think ours will be on the list? I went there maybe twice this past year.

That is twice more than I have.

The liquor store next door probably wants the space.

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,163 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

That is twice more than I have.

The liquor store next door probably wants the space.

In some areas, yes, but in others, malls are hurting.

And your going once is one more than I have gone in five years!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#19 OFFLINE   dj5

dj5

Mentor

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

They already closed here in Illinois several years ago that I don't even remember when, I thought that it was a defunct video stores years ago, apparently not in some states.

I have a Blockbuster about 7 miles from me in North Aurora, IL. So not are all closed in Illinois yet.

#20 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

My crystal ball says that Dish will be closing all the remaining Blockbuster stores within 2 years.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

Protected By... spam firewall...And...